Edmunds Haters eat some crow.....

Kwai San

5 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There was never a such thing as an Edmunds hater. Before this season he didn't live up to his draft status and was often times singled out and exploited by smart offenses. This year everything has finally clicked for him and it's impossible to imagine the defense being successful without him. I'm not going to eat crow. He developed into a much better player. Instead of pretending that he has always been this good I'm going to credit him for working his ass off to get to this point. And yes I would happily reward him with a big contract at the end of the season.

I am not sure if you are one of them but several people on this board told me he was bottom 10 LB in the league. As for his not playing up to his draft position, he is a two time pro bowler and led the team in tackles last year when they were ranked number one, not sure what else you expected of him 

35 minutes ago, Baba Booey said:

I’m will take some crow on the side please! It’s coming down to make a decision on who you want to keep. Edmunds or Oliver? Guys we need Edmunds more, just look at the D today with him in middle. 

Edmunds. The d can survive without Oliver. It can't without Edmunds 

• Like (+1) 1

I have no idea how they’re gonna do it -especially with the intriguing OBJ visit today, but Tremaine HAS to get a 2nd contract! He’s developing into the stud many here though he should have been since his teenage years (🤦‍♂️). He’s the nucleus of our entire Defensive scheme and deserves to be a Bill til Josh hangs ‘em up.

jmo

• Agree 1

This is his 5th season. It's the first time since the bills drafted him where I feel like he is a difference maker. The past criticism was warranted. Nobody is hating on him this year, I'd actually say just the opposite. Nobody is hating on him this year, just wondering where this player was the last 4 seasons 

4 hours ago, Kwai San said:

OK we can def agree to disagree.  I totally buy into your argument about giving Josh more O-Line help, NO QUESTION there at all......but bottom line you just can not dismiss him cuz ya hate him.  Yeah Beane is waiting....why....proally cuz he knows the kid is good and maybe just maybe I dunno wants to maybe send a message and hey!  Perhaps message received??  Who the hell knows??  I don't wanna argue this into the dirt.  I just think that yeah in a contract year the kid has had the lights turn on....like you it would be awesome if he turns into the next coming of awesomeness but who the hell knows???  Personally it is a hard decision but I think if Edmunds who just might have a head on his shoulders would give the Bills the same Milano price would that not be a bad thing???  If he is looking for CRAZEE cash....yeah let him walk.....ala Phillips/Gilmore/Lawson et al......yeah let him walk.

Let me be clear. I don’t think Edmunds is terrible. But I do think he’s overrated. I hate him because he has all the tools to be amazing. Yet too many times he misses the mark. For me at least. I see him as a reactionary player almost 100% of the time. The reason why he looks so good at times is because he is a physical freak of nature. I’d rather have an instinctive LB manning the middle of the D. But that’s me. Yes, if he took the same deal that Milano did, I’d take him in a heartbeat. But I don’t think it’ll be anywhere near that. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

Well he's better than his brother, I'll give him that.

Seriously he and Oliver are putting the Bills in a tough spot. 

Both are worth retaining but are they really comfortable paying them both Top 3 💰

Poyer wants to get paid and Milano may want a new deal the way he's be ballin out this year. Tough decisions to be made down the road.

Oliver will dang sure get paid being a Dtackle. That can get sacks. He’s probably gone. Well dang I just looked he only has 1.5 sacks this year, I guess Ed was right there not counting his sacks. 🤣

Edited by 97bills

last season i figured he'd play out the year and we'd know if he's a keeper or not.  imo (at the time at least) he was not.  now the bills extended him, so i suppose the fo wanted another year to evaluate.  

he's been a total savage this season.  the thing is that it coincides w our DL getting a huge overall upgrade, especially IMO with respect to physical size and strength.  

the big issue w our D when it comes to making decisions on how to pay is that we rely on the DL more than maybe any other D in the nfl to be a bunch of psychotic vikings, but in order to do so we rest them a lot and have a rotation.  that ties up a lot of capital.  edmunds is one of very few players we keep on the pitch for every snap, so i think he's gonna get a solid contract.

we will have to replace quite a few players w draft picks, and at least one of oliver and poyer are gonna get that treatment, sadly.

Edmunds is a great linebacker.  Great.  Perfect for the modern NFL, though he is different than the old school Butkus, Nitschke, Lambert bloody-nosed run stuffer.  But it is a passing league first, and in that realm Edmunds is the best middle-backer in the league.  For that matter, I can't think of one better against the pass in any era.  And he was plenty stout against the run last night too.  Been saying all year:  Must sign this guy (and we will).  Been getting flamed for it all year too.

• Like (+1) 1

He helped take away the middle of the field, helped to force a weak armed QB make throws to the boundaries which allowed a DB to close on and make plays. 
Not to mention the great run stuffing. Edmunds just doesn’t consistently make the “splash” plays that fans see. Nobody will be happier than the Bills if Edmunds is a big part of a SB win this year. 

5 hours ago, Kwai San said:

Thankfully people who KNOW football will make this decision.....not you.  No you go eat crow......heaping amounts of it around the end of their NFL year end transactions date if it even takes that long....which it proally won't. 

Crow - YUM!

Lmao he hasn’t been even signed yet. Zero

murmurs on contract discussion.

6 hours ago, Nelius said:

Edmunds dummies always been wrong.

He's a gigantic match-up nightmare. Rangy predator on the field. Somewhat timid, maybe, but it's slowly leaving with every start. He's going to be the 29-30 year old game wrecking savage that everybody wants. Yes, I'm bring up his age again, because yes he's accomplished a tremendous amount early. Just imagine this dude in even 2-3 years.

Tremaine is the Josh Allen of this defense. Lock him down.

the Josh Allen of the defense?   

Edmunds is very good this year.  He’s not the most important player on defense, or worth vastly overpaying for.   The backups are not great, so it’s likely we find a way to keep him at a discount, or get another FA LB and draft someone.  Most teams can’t have two high priced LBs.    

9 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

Edmunds is a great linebacker.  Great.  Perfect for the modern NFL, though he is different than the old school Butkus, Nitschke, Lambert bloody-nosed run stuffer.  But it is a passing league first, and in that realm Edmunds is the best middle-backer in the league.  For that matter, I can't think of one better against the pass in any era.  And he was plenty stout against the run last night too.  Been saying all year:  Must sign this guy (and we will).  Been getting flamed for it all year too.

Edmunds is great against the pass because he is built a bit like a large safety or CB.  It’s also why he gets swallowed by blockers sometimes.  

1 hour ago, Steptide said:

This is his 5th season. It's the first time since the bills drafted him where I feel like he is a difference maker. The past criticism was warranted. Nobody is hating on him this year, I'd actually say just the opposite. Nobody is hating on him this year, just wondering where this player was the last 4 seasons 

He was excellent in 2019.

Two things can be true.  He played poorly for the better half of two seasons in 2020 and 2021.  He was not making the negative plays that Milano was.  Almost everyone on here agreed that picking up his extension was the right thing to do as did I. Most on here wanted to see more explosive plays and more game changing plays.  He's had more of those this year but still not as many as Milano.  The issue was and still is how much do you pay him.  He will want to be top 3 if not highest paid MLB in the league.  If he continues to play at this level the rest of the season Beane should pay him.  The cap will go up.  Oliver and Davis are not due for more money yet, though dais may ask for a contract extension/pay raise.  Signing Edmunds means you probably lose Poyer and/or Hyde. Maybe not if you do some contract work with Allen and Miller.  

If I'm Beane I pay him because they need the draft pick to add to the OL and WR group and address the safety position.  The opportunity cost of losing him is too great at this point.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.