Edmunds Haters eat some crow.....

Kwai San

On 12/2/2022 at 9:03 AM, Thurman#1 said:

Most teams can't. One that could was the one that our head coach and general manager come from. They paid Davis and Kuechly very handsomely. Which positions did Davis and Kuechly play again? Oh, yeah, same ones Milano and Edmunds do.

It's not a sure thing of course, but very possible.

Edmunds is great against the pass because he's fast, pretty quick particularly for his size, and really heady. His long arms help. They also help him get off blocks. 

Yes, yes, yes.

It's not a coincidence that his best years were the early ones where Lotulelei was playing well and this year when he's behind Settle and Jones. Very true. That's part of McDermott's scheme, but really every LB behind a good big DL is vastly helped. Even Ray Lewis was suddenly average after Siragusa and before Ngata.

Davis and Kuechly were much the same, better behind some really big tough DTs.

how was Carolina with those 2 high paid LBs?  win a SB?

2 hours ago, RyanC883 said:

Thats not really fair though.  To be clear, I’m personally undecided about what I think Beane will do, or even should do, with Edmunds.  And that is primarily because we still don’t truly know what it will take to retain him.  Many people thought there was no way we could retain Milano based on what people assumed it would cost, and then Beane and MIlano came to an agreement with better terms than expected as both sides wanted Milano to stay here.  

But back to your comment here, that’s just a single cherry picked example to paint a narrative, not evidence that it will always be a mistake.  

I’m pretty sure the Baltimore Ravens would argue that it wasn’t a mistake paying two top end LBs when it won them two Super Bowls in two tries.  

And just like the Carolina example, that doesn’t mean if you do pay two LBs like Ravens did you will win the SB either.  Point is that there are many ways to win a SB, and there are many reasons when good teams do NOT win SB’s too.  

What it really comes down to is what is that players individual importance to that specific teams ability to win games, based on the overall makeup of the team.  

And in our case, we have seen how much our defense misses Edmunds when he is out, or even when he has had to play hurt.  I suspect both McD and Beane will hold his individual value in high regard to this defense when it comes time to decide what to do.  But that doesn’t mean the value they are willing to spend on him will be sufficient for what Edmunds and his agent are looking for either.  

It will be an interesting story to watch, and I think what happens to us this season will play a big role.   I think if we win the SB this year the odds will increase Edmunds is gone.  He will already have won his SB and will likely pursue top dollar then for his family.  And Bills have already won the SB will be willing to pay less and position themselves better long term on the cap to keep window for more SB titles open longer.  

• Like (+1) 1

He doesn't even really have to be geat at anything now  based on the fact that he's like 22 and is physically capable of being incredibe at everything the position requires.  Talent like that is either there or doesn't pan out or takes a while to develop.. it's developing. Haters will  refuse to see the digression when he's not on the field, AJ Klein?! You guys definitely eat Crow, and you know who you are.  The progress is starting to show 

Edited by Kenosha2Buffalo

More than ever before, this year has proven who our star LB is. HUGE difference in the defense when he was injured.

Matt Milano.

I hate to lose him but we simply cannot afford Edmunds, our 2nd best LB.. That decision was made the moment Von Miller was signed. 

• Agree 1

He’s only 19, he still has a lot of room to grow!

McBean love them some Edmunds. I’ve been saying it for years, he will get extended at a much higher AAV than many posters think.

The good news is, we will have years more of Edmunds as a whipping boy and we can enjoy these threads after every game when he’s making 18 mil a year!

On 12/2/2022 at 4:01 PM, BullBuchanan said:

When you're the MLB and also praised for your otherworldly athleticism and physical gifts and are talked about like you're elite - it would be nice if you could shed a block or make an impact tackle once in a while.

We defended the run just fine without him, and that's not a celebration of his backups.

I wouldn't say we "defended the run just fine" without him, but we had a couple of really bad run defense games with him.  One was GB 2nd half where IMHO we expected them to pass and played accordingly.

Fact does remain we had a 3 game stretch of bad run D with Edmunds in. 

One of them we were missing Milano

On 12/2/2022 at 4:43 PM, BullBuchanan said:

People say this all the time, but his analytics against the pass throughout his career are terrible - less so this year, but still not "1 of 1" or anywhere approaching elite.

image.png.d7aecc1854909b1e1f7ab36e90e978bb.png

N=8 with, N=3 without, so inappropriate for a t-test but still looks pretty marked difference against the pass (larger than the std deviation)

Vikes game where he went out included in "with"

Cheers

Edited by Beck Water
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 12/2/2022 at 7:58 AM, FireChans said:

Lmao he hasn’t been even signed yet. Zero

murmurs on contract discussion.

Yup - just like Knox....that sure cam out of the blue and lookie how well that is working.....

On 12/2/2022 at 12:52 PM, Buffalo Boy said:

I don’t think you are😎

Personally I don't care.....🙃

• Haha (+1) 1

On 12/2/2022 at 3:46 PM, beerme1 said:

Ohh you're so right. But YOU assume he will give a discount to remain here? I believe my theory more than yours. You ain't no Nostradamus.

On 12/2/2022 at 3:46 PM, beerme1 said:

Ohh you're so right. But YOU assume he will give a discount to remain here? I believe my theory more than yours. You ain't no Nostradamus.

On that we can agree!!!!

Edmunds is one of the guys that other teams coaches talk about when the talk about our defense being tough to play against.   Fans that complain about splash plays must not watch the game in detail.  Who else that big can cover as much field as Edmunds? 

If he becomes a FA, it will be a mistake.  Pay the man.  Find a way Beaner.  

Edit: after looking at some of the salary numbers the most likely way that we keep him is if he stays at a discount to the market.  Will he stay to win championships with Buffalo?  

It may not matter if we want to sign him but simply cannot.   

Edited by Bob in STL

16 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Thats not really fair though.  To be clear, I’m personally undecided about what I think Beane will do, or even should do, with Edmunds.  And that is primarily because we still don’t truly know what it will take to retain him.  Many people thought there was no way we could retain Milano based on what people assumed it would cost, and then Beane and MIlano came to an agreement with better terms than expected as both sides wanted Milano to stay here.  

But back to your comment here, that’s just a single cherry picked example to paint a narrative, not evidence that it will always be a mistake.  

I’m pretty sure the Baltimore Ravens would argue that it wasn’t a mistake paying two top end LBs when it won them two Super Bowls in two tries.  

And just like the Carolina example, that doesn’t mean if you do pay two LBs like Ravens did you will win the SB either.  Point is that there are many ways to win a SB, and there are many reasons when good teams do NOT win SB’s too.  

What it really comes down to is what is that players individual importance to that specific teams ability to win games, based on the overall makeup of the team.  

And in our case, we have seen how much our defense misses Edmunds when he is out, or even when he has had to play hurt.  I suspect both McD and Beane will hold his individual value in high regard to this defense when it comes time to decide what to do.  But that doesn’t mean the value they are willing to spend on him will be sufficient for what Edmunds and his agent are looking for either.  

It will be an interesting story to watch, and I think what happens to us this season will play a big role.   I think if we win the SB this year the odds will increase Edmunds is gone.  He will already have won his SB and will likely pursue top dollar then for his family.  And Bills have already won the SB will be willing to pay less and position themselves better long term on the cap to keep window for more SB titles open longer.  

the Ravens did not have a top 2 QB when paying top Lb’s, and those LB’s were both game changers, Edmunds is not.  This team depends on the offense.  We can’t pay too much on LB with SL, and OL huge areas of need.  

• Agree 1

On 12/2/2022 at 1:02 AM, Kwai San said:

OK....I TOTALLY get that some people aren't so happy with Edmunds past performances.  However this year and yes tonight after being out for 2 games the kid stepped up and had some actually awesome stops!  Please point out the horrific plays tonight cuz I sure didn't see them.  The dude is gonna get paid and right now he is deserving......sorry Edmunds haters but he is and kinda has been damn good......even tho he doesn't fit YOUR mold.  Sorry.

👍👍

He seems to have been the missing piece. As soon as he was back the entire D got back on schedule.

He is a coverage LB that wants 17mil a year, lol. I don’t hate the guy at all, I was pulling for him to do well but we already have way too much money tied up in this defense. He has issues stopping the run, shedding blocks and making plays. He is very good in coverage but I’m not paying 17mil for that. 

On 12/3/2022 at 11:32 PM, RyanC883 said:

Those LBs are not the reason Carolina didn't win one.

We have a better chance at winning one with both of them than without.

Edited by Dopey
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.