Edmunds Haters eat some crow.....

Kwai San

Did we watch the same game? My favorite part was when he gives up on pursuit of this runner when he's within 2 yards of him.

A close second is watching him perform his signature move - getting caught in the trash on this 3rd and 18 run:

Edited by BullBuchanan

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There was never a such thing as an Edmunds hater. Before this season he didn't live up to his draft status and was often times singled out and exploited by smart offenses. This year everything has finally clicked for him and it's impossible to imagine the defense being successful without him. I'm not going to eat crow. He developed into a much better player. Instead of pretending that he has always been this good I'm going to credit him for working his ass off to get to this point. And yes I would happily reward him with a big contract at the end of the season.

This x1000. We are Bills fans. We want our players to do well. Anyone who wants a player to fail just to confirm their own preferences can surrender their fan card imho. Amazing how short memories are about that. 

2 hours ago, Luka said:

Defense looks mostly the same with or without him. Now when a good player goes down, like Milano or Poyer, someone like that, there is a considerable drop off in the entire unit's performance. 

This must be a post from 2021. There's no way you've watched the defense when he isn't on the field this year and haven't noticed a drop off.

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

Did we watch the same game? My favorite part was when he gives up on pursuit of this runner when he's within 2 yards of him.

A close second is watching him perform his signature move - getting caught in the trash on this 3rd and 18 run:

We watched the same game. Just not as a hater. 

• Eyeroll 1

Even my fiance points to Edwards and she's like "why is the big guy with the dreds just running around in circles, blocking random guys? He's always the SECOND guy tackling someone."

He rarely blows up plays. 

Once you see it you can't unsee it. 

Having said that, our d is different with him in it. And when he tackles someone solo, he engulfs them. Offenses avoid him. It's clear. 

He's a bit of an enigma but I do believe we are very lucky to have him. 

Edmunds is having by far his best season.   He's been very good.   

His weaknesses are still his weaknesses though.

He doesn't make any plays on the football whatsoever and until that changes dramatically it will relegate him into the various levels of "good" rather than into the "great" category.    He's been as uninstinctive wrt the football as any LB I've ever seen.    He misses EVERY opportunity to make a play on the football that is presented.

And he really struggles to get off blocks and can turn into a tumbleweed when OL get to the second level because of it.........leaving the Bills vulnerable to long run plays.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

lo, If we could sign him to even 20% more than Milano, we would have done it already. As a matter of fact, we are paying him Milano+20% right now.

Milano makes $10M/year. That is CHUMP CHANGE.

Edmunds' market value will likely be $18-20M/year. How do you feel about having to pay him that much?

Fine, I thought Milano was at $12-13M. I think Edmunds is worth about $15M/6yrs. 

• Haha (+1) 1

It was kind of dismaying to see some of the fanbase talk about him like this era's Kelsay.  

He came into the league at a pretty young age.  And he has played well every year, pretty clearly getting better w/ each season.  Now, I'd say he is vital to the success of this defense. 

Beane will have to work some more cap magic to keep him here.  He'll be a great player for a long time.

10 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

I'll admit to being disappointed in his play prior to this season. Amazing what a contract year (and better DTs) can do to light a fire under some guys...

He'll maybe never play with the sustained physicality and relentlessness that one might want out of such a supremely talented athlete, but at least we're seeing a glimpse of what they were hoping for when they moved up in the first round to draft him. He's playing well.

If this means I'm eating crow, so be it. 

He'll maybe never play with the sustained physicality and relentlessness that one might want out of such a supremely talented athlete

Or maybe he WILL play like that.  His career has been a continuous year to year improvement.  There is no sign that that's coming to an end, no sign that he's hit a ceiling.  He's going to get paid, and I hope the Bills are the team to do it.

Neither of our LBs get a lot of sacks or interceptions, and unfortunately those are the metrics that lazy Pro Bowl voters look at.  But they are both doing exactly what Frazier wants them to do.  When healthy, our D is a complete unit working together, like none I've ever seen.  The absence of Edmunds OR Milano in particular games this year has shown how valuable they both are.  

11 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

This is what i love about the NFL. Every young player is a bust after a game, or a few games, or a year. It takes time and some get better as time goes on.

That said, it was only the Pats ;)

So for the reasons you mention, Spencer Brown is now the new whipping boy as after playing like a total of bout 20 games and off season surgery, he's not all-pro yet.

Edmunds was imo always a little better than he was given a credit for by an average Bills fan, but he looks really good to me this year.

However, I still don't see how we pay him, and if we do, it will become increasingly complicated to navigate the cap.

I said before the season that 2022 Bills are the strongest team we could field for the foreseeable future. I think we will be at least slightly worse next year - without Edmunds, Poyer and Singletary, or at least two of them. We will obviously compete but this is the peak imo.

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There was never a such thing as an Edmunds hater. Before this season he didn't live up to his draft status and was often times singled out and exploited by smart offenses. This year everything has finally clicked for him and it's impossible to imagine the defense being successful without him. I'm not going to eat crow. He developed into a much better player. Instead of pretending that he has always been this good I'm going to credit him for working his ass off to get to this point. And yes I would happily reward him with a big contract at the end of the season.

For the most part, I agree.  But there definitely were some posters who hated him and thought that he was terrible….when he was never terrible.  

11 minutes ago, NewEra said:

For the most part, I agree.  But there definitely were some posters who hated him and thought that he was terrible….when he was never terrible.  

There are still people who think he is terrible. I saw it last night. 

I’ve never seen a player get blamed for so much that’s more often than not, not his fault. 

Every time a big run happens, it’s Edmunds fault. 

it’s weird. 

• Agree 1

11 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Draft status? That’s a total bogus argument, How in the world is it on the college kid as to when a pro team picks him?? The answer is it is totally on the team, not the player. 

Go Bills!!!

13 hours ago, Kwai San said:

BUT....how do YOU know????  Seriously just how do you know thats what he is looking for +4 million???  Maybe looking around at the team he too thinks I give the Bills a decent price like several of my teammates and perhaps this might be a good thing???  How do you know????????  Perhaps you could be the next Nostradamus????  Just might be a calling for you.  Ya never know......

Ohh you're so right. But YOU assume he will give a discount to remain here? I believe my theory more than yours. You ain't no Nostradamus.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.