Edmunds Haters eat some crow.....

Kwai San

I feel like the people that are anti-Edmunds overlap to a large degree with the folks that wanted to draft Josh Rosen.  They always know better than the Bills.

And I HATE the posters that pigeon-hole Edmunds as a player only of "immense physical gifts."  Dude is a worker,  He shows up, balls out and runs the defense.  He is so much more than just a physical specimen.  He is a steady, constant force dominating the middle of the field.  Agree with the poster who said we win that Jets game in a walk with him on the field.  Minnesota too for that matter.  We will not let him go to another team if it is our choice, my only fear is that he may want out of Buffalo for some reason.  Hopefully he never looks at this board and feels appreciated in Buffalo.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, Dopey said:

"It’s not the plays that he’s in on that I see. It’s the ones that he should have been in on that he’s nowhere to be found. "

What a complete 180 degrees pivot. Nice one. 😂

Never once did I not say that he cant or doesn’t make plays. He’s a starter in the NFL. Of course he can. What separates him from really good LBs is his situational awareness. And that’s what makes me not want him back on this team if he’s going to demand too 5 LB money. For what we’re paying him on a rookie contract that’s fine. He doesn’t deserve a future contract imo. And right now, Beane so far has agreed since he hasn’t been resigned yet. Time will tell. Youre no more right than I am there. 

10 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Calling it like you see it isn't anything to be proud of. Pretty much everyone does, including folks who are wildly wildly wrong.

And if he were really out of position or late often he wouldn't be here. He's here and he's captain and he's a three-time Pro Bowler and they picked up his option because he does what they want him to do a very large percentage of the time. Maybe not what you want and expect. But what they want and expect.

Yet not enough to earn a 2nd contract yet. Got it 

• Agree 1

The other thing I think people fail to appreciate.  Milano and Edmunds function as a unit.  One without the other is like one hand clapping.  Together they bring incredible speed and coverage to the inside that pushes everything to the edges.  And when one of those edges is locked down by Tre White, and the deep middle is locked down by Poyer and Hyde, it is really tough to throw on the Bills.  Our problem the last three years has been the run, but that has been mainly due too poor tackle play from people like Star.  They took the dead cap hit on him for a reason.  With DaQuan and Settle and Phillips and Groot, when we are healthy we are really tough to run on now.  And if our secondary was healthy we would, IMHO, be the league's #1 defense.  That starts with two pairs - Edmunds and Milano, and Poyer and Hyde.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Yes, the pundits made a big stink out of Von Miller being out, but nobody said much about getting Edmunds and Tre back on the field. I think they more than offset the loss of Miller, who I see as more of a 'nice to have' luxury than a key peice of the D. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MarlinTheMagician said:

The other thing I think people fail to appreciate.  Milano and Edmunds function as a unit.  One without the other is like one hand clapping.  Together they bring incredible speed and coverage to the inside that pushes everything to the edges.  And when one of those edges is locked down by Tre White, and the deep middle is locked down by Poyer and Hyde, it is really tough to throw on the Bills.  Our problem the last three years has been the run, but that has been mainly due too poor tackle play from people like Star.  They took the dead cap hit on him for a reason.  With DaQuan and Settle and Phillips and Groot, when we are healthy we are really tough to run on now.  And if our secondary was healthy we would, IMHO, be the league's #1 defense.  That starts with two pairs - Edmunds and Milano, and Poyer and Hyde.

The problem is like the Ryan Miller argument years ago. Edmunds is really good when he has “all” the pieces around him. But when one or two guys is missing he isn’t as effective. Well, buckle up because Poyer likely ain’t coming back, especially if they pay Edmunds. And Hyde is a year away from not coming back. And that’s if he can even manage to overcome his injury. 

The biggest reason the Bills DEF looked so good last night was that we were playing the Patriots. Edmunds return was mostly coincidental. 

I still think Edmunds is an average to above-average player, but most definitely NOT an elite difference maker. 

If he wants to sign for a discount I'd be happy to keep him, but it would be to the detriment of this team if we make him the highest (or top 5) paid LB.

The cap is mostly imaginary and easy to manipulate, but that does come at a cost. We're already over the cap for next year with Allen's extension kicking in. It wouldn't be worth it to manipulate the cap to the extent needed to get Edmunds big $$. Frankly it will be tough to keep him even at a discount. We're going to either have some cap casualties next year or play some extreme cap shenanigans.  

One other thing about Tremaine.  He is a great teammate, smart and articulate,and a process guy.  See his post-game from yesterday, takes no credit for himself, generous in his praise of his teammates, and says all they have to do to move forward is keep trusting the process.  Admires Tre White for his work ethic, and from what I have heard, Edmunds brings the same ethic as White every day.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, beerme1 said:

He was good. I 'm not going to overpay him for the next contract so the issue remains. He walks.

No crow here.

BS. Who is advocating "overpaying" Edmunds or any other player?  Explain to us what Edmunds is worth. I think it's Matt Milano money if not 10% more. 

7 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

BS. Who is advocating "overpaying" Edmunds or any other player?  Explain to us what Edmunds is worth. I think it's Matt Milano money if not 10% more. 

He is worth to us 1% more than the next-highest bidder, which is why I hope he wants to be here!  If he wants to be here, he will take a "fair deal" -- need not even be "team friendly", just not a gross overpay (please).  Take care of your own.

9 hours ago, OZBILLS said:

This is what i love about the NFL. Every young player is a bust after a game, or a few games, or a year. It takes time and some get better as time goes on.

That said, it was only the Pats ;)

So true. As I’ve gotten older, I can’t stand the overreaction to everything I think Edmunds is a good player who can potentially be great. I still think he would be an absolute animal at OLB.  But if I didn’t like him, one game against a crappy offense won’t make me change my opinion.

9 hours ago, Kwai San said:

OK....I TOTALLY get that some people aren't so happy with Edmunds past performances.  However this year and yes tonight after being out for 2 games the kid stepped up and had some actually awesome stops!  Please point out the horrific plays tonight cuz I sure didn't see them.  The dude is gonna get paid and right now he is deserving......sorry Edmunds haters but he is and kinda has been damn good......even tho he doesn't fit YOUR mold.  Sorry.

Looked like a different player.  Dominated in the hole.   If this is the player he has become-great news.  Will we see it consistently?  Hope so.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There was never a such thing as an Edmunds hater. Before this season he didn't live up to his draft status and was often times singled out and exploited by smart offenses. This year everything has finally clicked for him and it's impossible to imagine the defense being successful without him. I'm not going to eat crow. He developed into a much better player. Instead of pretending that he has always been this good I'm going to credit him for working his ass off to get to this point. And yes I would happily reward him with a big contract at the end of the season.

Actually, I don't think that's right.   He developed, yes.   He's gotten much better at attacking the run, and it's been a gradual progression, year after year.   But what I think he brought right from the beginning was his impact on the pass defense.   That's why he played every snap as a rookie.  You could see the difference in the pass defense last night over the previous few games.   He was around the ball on a lot of throws, whereas Klein was nowhere to be seen when he was playing pass defense.  He has had major impact in the passing game for several years now.  He got better at that, too, but he was a unique contributor from the beginning.  

I gotta say, however, that it wasn't just Edmunds.   The whole pass defense tightened nicely last night, and it seemed pretty clear to me that it was the combination of Edmunds, Poyer, and White.   They're just much better players than their replacements, and having all three guys on the field last night was one of the reasons Mac Jones couldn't do anything.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Max Fischer said:

lo, If we could sign him to even 20% more than Milano, we would have done it already. As a matter of fact, we are paying him Milano+20% right now.

Milano makes $10M/year. That is CHUMP CHANGE.

Edmunds' market value will likely be $18-20M/year. How do you feel about having to pay him that much?

Edited by DrDawkinstein

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.