Edmunds Haters eat some crow.....

Kwai San

Pass.

Defense looks mostly the same with or without him. Now when a good player goes down, like Milano or Poyer, someone like that, there is a considerable drop off in the entire unit's performance. 

But I figured with half his tackles for the night coming on one drive the threads would be abundant with his supporters flexing like him over a couple 2nd quarter tackles, which would simply be routine for a good LB.

Let's see how many fire Beane threads there are when we don't overpay for Tremaine. 

• Haha (+1) 1

Edmunds has always been top-notch in our passing defense.

Running? Sure, he has had issues with bad reads but this is a passing league and he is like having a windmill standing in the middle of the field with his height and wing span.

The guy is vital to our defense having success.

This thread is stupid. We call our players out when they are not playing well and because of that we were "haters"? There is a difference between hating and calling out a player for what they were. Then you have this thread, pounding his chest, told you so! you must of been a hater!

well give me an effing break. If the citizens have the right to criticize their president of the USA, truly fans have the right to criticize players when they were not living up to expectations. The last few years before this year Edmunds was NOT living up to expectations so we slammed the dude before it and because we did we were a hater?

get over yourself man.

Edited by PrimeTime101

Ive been on the Edmunds side for the last year and half. 

I think this year has been his best year and hes shown just how important his physical gifts are when we are playing this kind of defense.

When he got hurt in that Jet game it was night and day on how much worse the middle of the field got. I honestly think we win that game easily had Edmunds stayed in it.

I do think he will not resign with the team as the market will fetch him a HUGE deal, because hes so young and still has growth potential. Doubt we match.

7 hours ago, HappyDays said:

There was never a such thing as an Edmunds hater. Before this season he didn't live up to his draft status and was often times singled out and exploited by smart offenses. This year everything has finally clicked for him and it's impossible to imagine the defense being successful without him. I'm not going to eat crow. He developed into a much better player. Instead of pretending that he has always been this good I'm going to credit him for working his ass off to get to this point. And yes I would happily reward him with a big contract at the end of the season.

🤣😂😂🤣

18 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Agreed.  He had a very good 8-10 game stretch at the end of 2019.  He deserved the ProBowl in 2019.  He injured his shoulder in early 2020 and I think that really set him back more than we know.  He was not the same player in 2020 and 2021. 

Totally agree about shoulder injury in the Jets game in early 2020. He played hurt all season because of it.

6 hours ago, mrags said:

I’m an Edmunds hater. I mean I get that he’s better than our alternative right now but I don’t think he’s special. Physically he’s elite. But he doesn’t make splash plays that you would expect out of a top 5 paid MLB. And even if he was, I don’t want to be the team to give it to him and we don’t have the money to do it anyway. Better hope he takes a stupid discount if you want him to stay. 

yes, he made some good plays tonight. He always has. It’s not the plays that he’s in on that I see. It’s the ones that he should have been in on that he’s nowhere to be found. 

Bingo!! You guys get your whipping boy and only look for the bad plays. Your words, not mine. Sad, just sad. 

7 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Edmunds seems to be playing with more of a sense of urgency than I can ever recall in his career. He has been popping on the screen a lot more, not because he’s getting game changing turnovers, but because he’s making the stops we all expected out of a 6’5 250lb 4.5 16th overall pick.

We don’t really need one of these threads after every good game he has, just like we don’t need an “Edmunds sucks” thread after his bad ones. People just like being divisive and argumentative methinks. 

After a few seasons under his belt, he's finally developing that football 6th sense that great players have, where they just seem to know where the ball is going and where they need to be.  Milano has already developed this and that's why he's always around the football and able to make a play.  Having two linebackers of that caliber in the middle who can do that can turn a good defense into a great defense. When either of them were out, we saw the drop off.   Pay that man.

Edited by Billz4ever

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

the Josh Allen of the defense?   

Edmunds is very good this year.  He’s not the most important player on defense, or worth vastly overpaying for.   The backups are not great, so it’s likely we find a way to keep him at a discount, or get another FA LB and draft someone.  Most teams can’t have two high priced LBs.    

Most teams can't. One that could was the one that our head coach and general manager come from. They paid Davis and Kuechly very handsomely. Which positions did Davis and Kuechly play again? Oh, yeah, same ones Milano and Edmunds do.

It's not a sure thing of course, but very possible.

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

Edmunds is great against the pass because he is built a bit like a large safety or CB.  It’s also why he gets swallowed by blockers sometimes.  

Edmunds is great against the pass because he's fast, pretty quick particularly for his size, and really heady. His long arms help. They also help him get off blocks. 

9 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

As a long time Edmunds detractor, I say... pay the man.  But better be ready to pay the DL studs in front of him too since they are making all the difference.

Yes, yes, yes.

It's not a coincidence that his best years were the early ones where Lotulelei was playing well and this year when he's behind Settle and Jones. Very true. That's part of McDermott's scheme, but really every LB behind a good big DL is vastly helped. Even Ray Lewis was suddenly average after Siragusa and before Ngata.

Davis and Kuechly were much the same, better behind some really big tough DTs.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1

14 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Bingo!! You guys get your whipping boy and only look for the bad plays. Your words, not mine. Sad, just sad. 

I have no problem finding the good plays and pointing them out. I also find a lot of bad plays where Edmund’s should be making game changing plays or tackles but is no where to be found. I call it like I see it. 

And yes… he is my whipping boy. Because he’s the leader of the defense. The player making calls. And he’s out of position or late to the play often. Like I said, physically he has it all. It’s disappointing that he’s not the best LB in the league imo. 

2 minutes ago, mrags said:

I have no problem finding the good plays and pointing them out. I also find a lot of bad plays where Edmund’s should be making game changing plays or tackles but is no where to be found. I call it like I see it. 

And yes… he is my whipping boy. Because he’s the leader of the defense. The player making calls. And he’s out of position or late to the play often. Like I said, physically he has it all. It’s disappointing that he’s not the best LB in the league imo. 

"It’s not the plays that he’s in on that I see. It’s the ones that he should have been in on that he’s nowhere to be found. "

What a complete 180 degrees pivot. Nice one. 😂

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

Calling it like you see it isn't anything to be proud of. Pretty much everyone does, including folks who are wildly wildly wrong.

And if he were really out of position or late often he wouldn't be here. He's here and he's captain and he's a three-time Pro Bowler and they picked up his option because he does what they want him to do a very large percentage of the time. Maybe not what you want and expect. But what they want and expect.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Disagree 1

8 hours ago, Kwai San said:

OK....I TOTALLY get that some people aren't so happy with Edmunds past performances.  However this year and yes tonight after being out for 2 games the kid stepped up and had some actually awesome stops!  Please point out the horrific plays tonight cuz I sure didn't see them.  The dude is gonna get paid and right now he is deserving......sorry Edmunds haters but he is and kinda has been damn good......even tho he doesn't fit YOUR mold.  Sorry.

He’s been an all pro this year.  Our defense is significantly worse when he is out and cost us games.  

That being said, the cap issues persist.  I do not know if he will be a Bill next year or not, that will be up to Beane to figure out if he can make that work and something Edmunds would accept.  

But make no mistake about it, Edmunds has been a BEAST all year.  Anyone disagreeing with that simply has an agenda or doesn’t understand football.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Ive been on the Edmunds side for the last year and half. 

I think this year has been his best year and hes shown just how important his physical gifts are when we are playing this kind of defense.

When he got hurt in that Jet game it was night and day on how much worse the middle of the field got. I honestly think we win that game easily had Edmunds stayed in it.

I do think he will not resign with the team as the market will fetch him a HUGE deal, because hes so young and still has growth potential. Doubt we match.

If he does demand his own top market value, I agree he'll likely be gone.

IMO he'll take a bit of a hometown discount because he'll still be getting well into eight figures in AAV. He, like most of this team, really likes it here.

But we'll see. You could be right, clearly.

Edited by Thurman#1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.