Groot musings

Simon

tl;dr

I am Von

Rousseau was clearly not healthy tonight and spent 90% of the game holding an edge and protecting himself.

Then later in crunch time he started sticking that foot in the ground and getting after people for real.

It was the sort of game you occasionally see from another veteran DE that recently entered the Bills locker room.

• Like (+1) 8

2 minutes ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Groot might be one of the best 4-3 DEs in terms of run defense.  He’s stout.

He helped set the tone in the run game early tonight.   He's a great tackler.   Tied for the NFL lead in run stops by a DL last season........as a rookie.......in a rotational system.

• Like (+1) 6

56 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Could have gotten 2 or 3 sacks tonight...

Bills DEs other than Miller have a knack for getting more almost sacks and "how the hell did he escape??" plays than any team I have ever seen.

Yeah, there was the one play where it seemed like the whole DL had at least one shot as Jones kept scrambling for what seemed way over 10 seconds and nobody got him.  That was the play where Michaels said Phillips was down as they went to break.  Phillips was probably exhausted from the amount of running he did on that play.

• Like (+1) 1

First Pats offensive play of the game was about to be a big run for a 1st down and more, and immediately Rousseau reminded us all why we missed him getting his big paws on the RB and taking him down after a measley two yards. Three plays later they have to punt. It was a tone-setting play and it was one of many that he single handedly wrecked.

• Like (+1) 8

The play second half where he saw something in the protection, picked his head up communicated to the outside of him - which I imagine was "you guys look after the edge, I'm going in" and then stunted and almost got home but did enough on 3rd down to force and incompletion was real high level stuff. I am convinced he callee that stunt himself based on what he had seen. Kid is a hell of a player, and yes, we miss Von's closing ability but with Oliver and Groot playing as they are it needn't spell disaster.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

7 hours ago, boyst said:

Talked to a wake trainer a few months ago who promised good things to come from him and that he's not hit the ceiling at all. Last year he was too big. Bills want him 270ish

That's interesting.  I see some Mario Williams in Groot.  But Mario probably played about 15 to 20 pounds heavier than 270.  The Bills must sense some hidden athleticism in Groot.  

And, I agree with the sense here that the kid is special now and is going to be even more special down the road.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.