Figuring out Knox

Wizard

8 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

agree. He could have easily had like 5-7 catches. 

Yep! The Diggs TD... Knox did a crossing pattern and was ALONE in the middle of the endzone. I have Knox on my Fantasy League team and I really hyperfocus on his play. He was open half a dozen times... especially on check downs and Josh went to the RB's instead. 

• Agree 3

8 hours ago, SageAgainstTheMachine said:

He's a blocking TE because we had a turnstile and a potato at OT today.

This narrative is complete BS, even with missing time with injury going into last night he has run the 6th most routes of any TE in the league.

He had 0 catches because a lolipop clanked off his hands.

1 hour ago, Tenhigh said:

banged up oline...

Even more reason for Josh to get the ball out quickly to open targets. What's funny to me is how the Bills spoke of being better at YAC in the offseason. It would be better if Josh spreaded the ball around to get guys involved in the game early. 

14 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Our offensive line is terrible, so he has to help block. I think it’s really that simple.

There were scenarios, last night, where Knox ran routes but was totally ignored. It seemed that Josh predetermined where he was going with the ball after the snap

I think its been three issues:

1. The death of his brother. I think everyone can understand how this had to affect him early in the season. 

2. Nagging injuries

3. Most importantly,  because Brown has been a turnstile, they have been forced to keep him in to chip and block much more than they would like. I think he breaks out next year.

1 hour ago, ArtVandalay said:

This narrative is complete BS, even with missing time with injury going into last night he has run the 6th most routes of any TE in the league.

He had 0 catches because a lolipop clanked off his hands.

He had one drop. One target. The lone target was more of a flip to him... not a normal pass. 

Knox was open all night and Josh just didn't throw him the ball. 

2 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

He had one drop. One target. The lone target was more of a flip to him... not a normal pass. 

Knox was open all night and Josh just didn't throw him the ball. 

Oh yeah our Pro Bowl QB ignores the open targets, that's Knox' problem! It's silly the extent you guys go to defend him. 

overpaid.   solid TE overall i'd say he would grade out at a B.

inconsistent hands but makes some insane grabs.  I believe Q Morris is going to emerge as a legit receiving weapon in this offense, but Dorsey doesnt feature TE's like Daboll would.  It seems like they are checkdown options for Josh, def not 1st or 2nd reads.

In my opinion, Dorsey doesn't scheme him very well. He may be getting open often, but he's not usually the primary read or the person to whom the play is designed to go.

So often these days, I just see Knox running a basic flat route to the sideline. Notice how his catches always seem to be near the sideline and rarely in the middle of the field? That wasn't the case the last couple years. It's scheme.

The confounding thing is that this Bills offense could really use some middle-of-the-field production in the passing game. A guy like Knox, who is a world class talent at the tight end position, should be absolutely feasting in the middle with all the attention paid to Diggs and to Davis going deep.

For that matter, Davis was used more effectively as a big slot under Daboll, too. 

Much of the middle of the field woes this Bills passing game is facing could be solved if Dorsey more effectively schemed Knox and Davis. That is my contention.

• Agree 1

1.thumb.JPG.df5a346b051878c799b3e7101d224ab6.JPG

Diggs TD, Dawson was WIDE open. If Josh threw it to Dawson, it would have been an easier touchdown throw and catch.

2.thumb.JPG.ba406c86185e438529b4ee28119d7285.JPG

Strip play, Knox and Motor alone.

3.thumb.JPG.838aa911d1242ecc3afbd57de005fd1f.JPG

Slant to McKenzie. Knox was 4 yards behind the Judon and no one in sight. Josh dumps it off instead of hitting Knox for a long gain or TD.

4.thumb.JPG.6ffb357475a378e63322783111834cc1.JPG

Josh threw it to Diggs on this play. Diggs made one hell of a catch for the first. Dawson was streaking across the field... no one around him. 

5.thumb.JPG.87c1d416e9f9bd855ae5952fda1a1256.JPG

Another pass (side arm) to Isiah McKenzie (resulted in a first down). Look at who's all alone in the middle of the field.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I hated the extension terms. I thought he was worth half of what he got paid, but TE's are hard to come by in this league and they probably figured it was better to be all in on an above average talent than to not have one at all.

I'm not sure if it's his fault or Allen's but I've never seen him catch a pass that he doesn't have to leap and outstretch his arms to to sideline for. He's not a threat as a route runner, doesn't have great hands and doesn't seem to have tremendous on-field speed, though he is pretty good with the ball in his hands.

11 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

I did, and i watched Knox drop another routine pass. Dude is a walking brain fart. Football acumen has not grown. 

But keep the excuses coming is beyond comical at this point. 

He had one lob weird pass that was more of a toss, weird angle. The whole game. He was open most of the game and blocked his ass off. He on Judon most of the game and guess how many sacks the leading sackman in the NFL did last night?

1 minute ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

He had one lob weird pass that was more of a toss, weird angle. The whole game. He was open most of the game and blocked his ass off. He on Judon most of the game and guess how many sacks the leading sackman in the NFL did last night?

A weird lob pass at a weird angle 🤣🤣

You crack me up. 

I would pay you to make excuses like this for me when i screw up. 

• Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Diggs TD, Dawson was WIDE open. If Josh threw it to Dawson, it would have been an easier touchdown throw and catch.

Slant to McKenzie. Knox was 4 yards behind the Judon and no one in sight. Josh dumps it off instead of hitting Knox for a long gain or TD.

Josh threw it to Diggs on this play. Diggs made one hell of a catch for the first. Dawson was streaking across the field... no one around him. 

Another pass (side arm) to Isiah McKenzie (resulted in a first down). Look at who's all alone in the middle of the field.

Thanks for these.

During the broadcast, you could definitely notice Knox open a lot.

Part of it is that he's often schemed as a checkdown or a third option in this scheme, and Josh always wants to go for the biggest available play.

Still, I can't help but wonder if Dorsey could do a better job drawing up 5-7 "Dawson Knox plays", where HE'S the primary target, and the play is designed to go to him. He's talented enough, in my opinion, to warrant such consideration. Then, when teams are locking Diggs up (which hasn't happened often lately, to be fair), the Bills have a changeup to throw.

Bottom line, though? Occasional bad drop or not, Dawson Knox is not the problem. I feel certain of that.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

I hated the extension terms. I thought he was worth half of what he got paid, but TE's are hard to come by in this league and they probably figured it was better to be all in on an above average talent than to not have one at all.

I'm not sure if it's his fault or Allen's but I've never seen him catch a pass that he doesn't have to leap and outstretch his arms to to sideline for. He's not a threat as a route runner, doesn't have great hands and doesn't seem to have tremendous on-field speed, though he is pretty good with the ball in his hands.

Kelce is the elite standard in the NFL for TE's. Well, the elite at any level... probably ever. 

As the years have gone by, the Chiefs use so much motion with him, he's so difficult to defend. We should be doing the same thing with Knox. Dawson is a BEAST with the ball... he's like Josh when it comes to welcoming hits. But when he's open, gotta try to get him the ball. 

Those ripping him for drops? Lets look at targets v catches the last few games... 

Pats: 1 target, 0 catches

Lions: 2 targets, 2 catches

Browns: 7 targets, 7 catches

Viks: 6 targets, 4 catches

Jets; 4 targets, 3 catches

Packers: 3 targets, 2 catches - 1 TD

Chiefs: 3 targets, 3 catches - 1 TD

Forget the situation or the coverage, throw, etc... he's had 26 targets his last 7 games with 21 catches and 2 scores. 

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

You know you could do this for every single player that the Bills sent out on a pass route more than 10 times. If an offense is not designing multiple players open on most plays, there is something wrong. And really with these still frames we can't tell where the back defender is and how they are closing if at all. For example, the last one is a catch but short of first down yardage if a defender closes on him.

Knox is who he has always been in this offense. Why expect more? Is it just the contract? I would like to see Allen spread it around a little more. I think that is the only edge that Mahomes has over Allen currently. But then again, Diggs is so ridiculously good it is easy to see why he forces it to him a lot. 

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

6 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

A weird lob pass at a weird angle 🤣🤣

You crack me up. 

I would pay you to make excuses like this for me when i screw up. 

He's had 26 targets the past 7 games, 21 catches and 2 scores. 80.1% catches

Kelce (looking at the best in the league) has had 60 targets, 40 catches and 5 scores - 66.7% catches 

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

You know you could do this for every single player that the Bills sent out on a pass route more than 10 times. If an offense is not designing multiple players open on a most plays, there is something wrong. And really with these still frames we can't tell where the back defender is and how they are closing if at all. For example, the last one is a catch but short of first down yardage if a defender closes on him.

Knox is who he has always been in this offense. Why expect more? Is it just the contract? I would like to see Allen spread it around a little more. I think that is the only edge that Mahomes has over Allen currently. But then again, Diggs is so ridiculously good it is easy to see why he forces it to him a lot. 

Totally agree. I'm pointing out to those who attack the guy... he can only try to catch what is thrown his way. He's caught 80% of passes thrown at him the past 7 games with 3 scores. He's blocking his ass off as well. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.