Figuring out Knox

Wizard

I am curious the opinion everyone has on Knox's role in this offense.

The guy is being paid a good chunk of change to average 2-3 catches a game and will probably have 500 receiving yards or less this season.

Tonight he had zero catches, and I believe one target.

Is he overrated? Is he not used properly? I know the Bills are not known for having top flight TE's. I am just trying to figure out if he's fools gold or if a package of plays need to be catered to utilize him.

What say ye?

He is just a puzzling and polarizing player in this offense in my view.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

On 12/1/2022 at 10:48 PM, Wizard said:

I am curious the opinion everyone has on Knox's role in this offense.

The guy is being paid a good chunk of change to average 2-3 catches a game and will probably have 500 receiving yards or less this season.

Tonight he had zero catches, and I believe one target.

Is he overrated? Is he not used properly? I know the Bills are not known for having top flight TE's. I am just trying to figure out if he's fools gold or if a package of plays need to be catered to utilize him.

What say ye?

He is just a puzzling and polarizing player in this offense in my view.

He can contribute when he’s used.  Against Detroit, he had what, 7 catches for 70 yards? [EDIT: I was mistaken, that was the Browns game]

My personal theory is that he’s struggling mentally, still trying to process and deal with his brother’s death.  He seems to be really enjoying the blocking aspect of the game, and he slowly seems to be coming back into the passing game.

I think tonight he was busy blocking

Edited by Beck Water
  • Sad 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 5

He’s had a bigger role blocking this year I think, and to be honest I’m not sure if this year is going to be a huge “numbers” year for him given his off-season. He will get back to form, but he’s got to get through it on his own time.

My theory: he’s gonna show up for a big play in the post season that will completely overshadow his regular seas woes. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, KingBoots8 said:

My theory: he’s gonna show up for a big play in the post season that will completely overshadow his regular seas woes. 

Yeah, it almost feels like they're keeping that part of their game stashed in teh bank, like they do with the run game for long stretches and then torture unprepared teams with it when games get bigger.

I can see him being a giant pain in somebody's ass during the first playoff game.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He can contribute when he’s used.  Against Detroit, he had what, 7 catches for 70 yards?

My personal theory is that he’s struggling mentally, still trying to process and deal with his brother’s death.  He seems to be really enjoying the blocking aspect of the game, and he slowly seems to be coming back into the passing game.

This. So many people forget the great plays people make and focus on the bad. Also losing a brother cannot be easy. I think he’s a very good TE who can catch, run tough and block well. If every team threw out every player who struggled how would you stay competitive?

Gabe on the other hand?

Edited by AlfaBill
  • Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

He can contribute when he’s used.  Against Detroit, he had what, 7 catches for 70 yards?

I agree. The reason why Knox is struggling is highly understandable.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

8 minutes ago, AlfaBill said:

This. So many people forget the great plays people make and focus on the bad. Also losing a brother cannot be easy. I think he’s a very good TE who can catch, run tough and block well. If every team threw out every player who struggled how would you stay competitive?

Gabe on the other hand?

When Knox caught that TD at the back of the EZ, Diggs in the postgame said something to the effect of “mental health is real” and he was glad for Knox to get that.  Which is why I think there’s something to the mental struggles idea.

TBH, I felt better about Gabe in this game.  Did he have one ball he should have caught and didn’t?  Josh was a little rushed and overthrew him for the deep ball and either overthrew him or he was a little held on his route in the end zone.  But that catch for the TD was unreal.  

5 minutes ago, 947 said:

He dropped his only target. But he's been pretty good blocking, I bet the 2nd Diggs TD would've counted if Knox had been there instead of Sweeney.

Yes.

Edited by Beck Water

Let's not over think this. He's the same exact player he has always been. Only difference is the TD's dried up. That shouldn't be a surprise. TD's are less predictive year over year than receptions and yardage totals. He averaged 3.3 receptions per game last year. And this year he is averaging... 3.3 receptions per game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.