NFL Source - Elam Benched Tonight

ChevyVanMiller

20 hours ago, GreggTX said:

This is very troubling. A 7th round pick, a 30+ veteran in decline and a guy recovering from a serious knee injury suit up while the guy they traded up for in the first round sits. Benford was having a better rookie season too. Not good, but hopefully he can turn it around. There's still time.

Binford wasn’t really having a better season. He has his moments but elam was more consistent.

White is back and he’s gonna get better every week

Xavier Rhodes is a solid number three corner and he should’ve been on an NFL team

Jackson is the outlier. He was really playing well at the beginning of the season and tapered off.

On 12/1/2022 at 11:03 PM, RocCityRoller said:

Thanks. I was really down on Jackson since the Minny game. I trust ProFootball Reference more than PFF and even Football Outsiders so I wanted to look up the advanced defensive stats on the DB trio, and T Johnson too.

I was surprised how, despite 2-3 clear bad games Dane Jackson still was the best of the 3 CBs.

It also showed what many thought, that Benford was having a better season than Elam.

Elam is more a press cover guy, changing to a heavier zone scheme is not going to be easy. He also was more gifted athletically or on par with a lot of the WRs he faced in college. Won't be the case in the NFL. That said he has the traits and mentality to improve. This season has been trial by fire for the young CBs and I think overall they did enough to help bridge the gap.

I know many think Benford will be moved to S. Maybe the right play would be to keep Benford at CB and move Elam to S or Big Nickel (Siran Neal position) where his brand of more physical DB play could be better utilized? He is basically the same size as Poyer and Hyde. If I recall correctly Hyde was available because Green Bay knew he was a good DB, but couldn't figure out how to utilize him. He was a utility DB for GB. McDermott and Frazier knew he was a S and has become a difference maker with their tutelage.

I trust McDermott, so if they go the route you suggest so be it. However, Elam was always going to take time to get used to zone, and it’s his first season with us. The staff will be patient with him, that’s their MO, I don’t see a switch to safety in the next year, unless it was always part of the plan. Atleast not next season. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.