Joe Brady Rumor -- May be something, may be nothing

glazeduck

Hey all, as my name indicates, I'm also an Oregon Duck fan.

Just passing along that Oregon's top "insider", Justin Hopkins, mentioned this week that Joe Brady was his bet -- and likely Dan Lanning's first call -- for the Ducks' open OC spot. Brady and Lanning have a good relationship and the thinking is he'd basically be the perfect candidate and also had at least some interest in the job.

Separately, there's smoke that *a* hire could happen anytime now (in terms of general timeline/timeframe), and it stands to reason (my speculation) that the optimal timing for a change like this to happen this late in the season would be during a mini-bye week (aka tonight or tomorrow morning).

So like I said, may be something, may be nothing, but our QB coach is getting interest from the college ranks, at the very least. Go Bills!

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 1

Just now, YoloinOhio said:

He wouldn’t leave during the season

Oh, I thought it would be like college head coaches who have to leave as soon as they get a new job. I always hate how they abandon the kids they demanded loyalty and respect from to be coached by an assistant in a bowl game. It especially sucked when Brian Kelly left UC for ND and the Bearcats were coached by an interim in the Sugar Bowl.

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

Oh, I thought it would be like college head coaches who have to leave as soon as they get a new job. I always hate how they abandon the kids they demanded loyalty and respect from to be coached by an assistant in a bowl game. It especially sucked when Brian Kelly left UC for ND and the Bearcats were coached by an interim in the Sugar Bowl.

Nah it’s OC right? He could be hired anytime but would join them after the Bills season. Signing day is in a few weeks, their 2023 recruiting is mostly done. 

2 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Nah it’s OC right? He could be hired anytime but would join them after the Bills season. Signing day is in a few weeks, their 2023 recruiting is mostly done. 

FWIW, the line of thinking is that he WOULD leave right away, since recruiting is heating up right now.

12 minutes ago, glazeduck said:

FWIW, the line of thinking is that he WOULD leave right away, since recruiting is heating up right now.

Should be done. He’s not going to build relationships with kids in 2 weeks. He’s also under contract. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 2

8 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Should be done. He’s not going to build relationships with kids in 2 weeks. He’s also under contract. 

Contracts get bought out all the time. And I don't think the suggestion is that he's going to be able to pull kids Oregon wouldn't have otherwise, but the difference in recruiting between not having an OC and having a superstar OC (or one you could at least sell as such) is massive. 

1 hour ago, glazeduck said:

Contracts get bought out all the time. And I don't think the suggestion is that he's going to be able to pull kids Oregon wouldn't have otherwise, but the difference in recruiting between not having an OC and having a superstar OC (or one you could at least sell as such) is massive. 

The Bills don’t need to let him out of his contract in the middle of their season. They don’t need Oregon’s $ on a buyout. Oregon can hire him and he can be their new oc but he 100% doesn’t need to leave before February for the recruits to be told that he’s coming. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, glazeduck said:

Hey all, as my name indicates, I'm also an Oregon Duck fan.

Just passing along that Oregon's top "insider", Justin Hopkins, mentioned this week that Joe Brady was his bet -- and likely Dan Lanning's first call -- for the Ducks' open OC spot. Brady and Lanning have a good relationship and the thinking is he'd basically be the perfect candidate and also had at least some interest in the job.

Separately, there's smoke that *a* hire could happen anytime now (in terms of general timeline/timeframe), and it stands to reason (my speculation) that the optimal timing for a change like this to happen this late in the season would be during a mini-bye week (aka tonight or tomorrow morning).

So like I said, may be something, may be nothing, but our QB coach is getting interest from the college ranks, at the very least. Go Bills!

Ugh. Would hate to lose a coach at this time of the year

3 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

He got the short end of the stick with Rhule.. He was always going to land on his feet. 

Disagree. Rhule was/is a joke but Brady wasn’t ready to run an NFL scheme.

Bridgewater pointed it out after they tried to make him the scapegoat for the first season’s offensive stumbles.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Disagree. Rhule was/is a joke but Brady wasn’t ready to run an NFL scheme.

Bridgewater pointed it out after they tried to make him the scapegoat for the first season’s offensive stumbles.

Yea Brady did a crap job in Carolina. Never adjusted for his talent at all. He deserved to be fired. Regardless of Rhule's missteps. 

Think it just came too soon for him. He had one great year with LSU and went from NFL quality control the year before to NFL OC the year after. Taking a step back and learning more was the right move for him. I don't necessarily think Oregon would be a bad next step. But doing it before the season ends would burn some NFL bridges for sure.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, glazeduck said:

You sound a lot like a fan of Oregon hoping this move helps the Ducks.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.