12/1/2022 - NFL Week #13 - Bills at Pats* - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

Just now, Beck Water said:

Since some of us were "down" on Cook for faking out his own QB and not being QB friendly last week.

Here's Cook last night "doing the Right Thing".  YES!!!!

And tagging in here.  Here's a screen shot from the TNF "Prime Vision" option Turner put up.

This IMHO totally illustrates what some of us are saying about Dorsey's play design.  Three receivers are running routes 10-15 yds from the LOS at this point, and are pretty well covered.  Allen has always, all his career, looked PAST the 1st down marker.  So he's been throwing to one of these guys, trusting his arm and forcing the throw at times. (Spoiler: two of the receivers are running deep crossers and Diggs, I think it is, eventually blows past his guy and comes open downfield.  Given time, those routes do work)

But it's not that he doesn't have options.  He's got Knox (I think) who has chipped and released and has no one within 10 yds of him.  Then he has Cook, who this time (thank you!) makes the right move to find the throwing lane, catches the ball, and gains about 12 YAC for a nice 14 yd pickup and the 1st down.

Capture.JPG

• Like (+1) 2

Sal Capaccio's take

Ken Dorsey

The Bills offensive coordinator called a terrific game. He knew his left tackle was out and kept the game-plan offensive line friendly with shorter throws and a balanced attack.

Aaron Kromer and offensive line

Both the offensive line and their coach deserve an Arrow Up for the game plan and execution, especially without Dion Dawkins.

Agree?  Disagree? 

Discuss.

Joe B article from The Athletic.  Paywall

Just as they did against the Browns, the Bills worked in the running game far more than they usually do and used heavier sets to help their cause. The Bills used heavier formations on 22 percent of their non-kneel down plays throughout the game, which helped open up 112 yards on 29 carries for their running backs on the Patriots, who usually are a stout run defense. It was also a keep away effort in the second half where they quickly ran through clock by racking up plays, first downs and time of possession in one fell swoop. Their 15-play, 94-yard touchdown drive that extended through the end of the third quarter and into the fourth gobbled up nearly nine minutes of the second half. And by that point in the game, the Patriots had only run 31 offensive plays. It was utter dominance, even if the scoreline didn’t show the Bills putting up 40.

Cook was on the field early and often, leading the way in snaps almost the entirety of the game. By the end of it, his 33 snaps to Singletary’s 32 and Hines’ 24 gave Cook the edge, but that’s not where it ended. Cook popped for several big plays and managed some decent gains when the big plays weren’t available. His 28-yard run looked effortless as he snuck through a smaller crease and zoomed up the field to maximize the gain. And as a pass-catcher, Cook possesses the explosive open-field qualities that Singletary has lacked since the Bills drafted him. It was a true breakout game for Cook

Against the Browns in Week 11, the Bills flashed a personnel package including both Cook and Nyheim Hines as a means to put pressure on the defense in different ways. They did it on a handful of snaps, but it wasn’t a heavy piece of their game plan. Then against the Lions in Week 12, the Bills mostly went away from that personnel grouping......
......for the Patriots game, as they used Cook and Hines on the field together a whopping 12 times throughout the game. While it doesn’t seem like a lot, that’s far more two-running back sets than the Bills had ever run previously. The Bills effectively used Hines in a similar way Brian Daboll used Isaiah McKenzie as a gadget receiver several years ago. And despite some plays that were duds, it was highly productive with some chunk plays. The Bills gained 78 yards on those 12 plays, for an average of 6.5 yards each time.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Did you seriously quote the full article?

Um, are you serious in asking that question or just yanking my chain?

Of course not.  I quoted 3 paragraphs that made one specific point, out of many points made in the article, out of a very long article.  The whole article would require scrolling through about 9 screens full of just writing.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Um, are you serious in asking that question or just yanking my chain?

Of course not.  I quoted 3 paragraphs that made one specific point, out of many points made in the article, out of a very long article.  The whole article would require scrolling through about 9 screens full of just writing.

Yanking your chain, bud.  I've seen less quoted stuff get harped on.  Though, I have seen more also let go.

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Sal Capaccio's take

Agree?  Disagree? 

Discuss.

Not sure what there is to disagree about? 

Had a few tough plays for sure but opened up holes for the run game and Allen had time on some throws also. 

Gameplan looked similar to Rams and Titans game...take the easy throws, let them do the work, keep the chains moving.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Beck Water said:

And tagging in here.  Here's a screen shot from the TNF "Prime Vision" option Turner put up.

This IMHO totally illustrates what some of us are saying about Dorsey's play design.  Three receivers are running routes 10-15 yds from the LOS at this point, and are pretty well covered.  Allen has always, all his career, looked PAST the 1st down marker.  So he's been throwing to one of these guys, trusting his arm and forcing the throw at times. (Spoiler: two of the receivers are running deep crossers and Diggs, I think it is, eventually blows past his guy and comes open downfield.  Given time, those routes do work)

But it's not that he doesn't have options.  He's got Knox (I think) who has chipped and released and has no one within 10 yds of him.  Then he has Cook, who this time (thank you!) makes the right move to find the throwing lane, catches the ball, and gains about 12 YAC for a nice 14 yd pickup and the 1st down.

Capture.JPG

If this is how we're going to play offense I wouldn't expect Devin Singletary back. You can see why it was so important to them to have good checkdown options who catch smoothly and have the explosiveness to get up the field. Allen probably should have been checking down more than he was at times throughout the year but he's not going to feel good about doing that if the backs are not efficient on their end.

Previously the Bills made money in the intermediate area, now it's more deep or checkdown than it was. Hopefully Cook continues to show out, it's important that draft pick works out for us.

Edited by 2020 Our Year For Sure
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Since some of us were "down" on Cook for faking out his own QB and not being QB friendly last week.

Here's Cook last night "doing the Right Thing".  YES!!!!

That's great to see. I really enjoyed watching Cook in this game. He's looking less and less a rookie each week.

I was kind of disappointed they went back to Singletary after Cook had a decent amount of runs, just because I wanted to see him pick up a head of steam and I wanted to see what he could do when they just kept going to him.

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Not sure what there is to disagree about? 

Had a few tough plays for sure but opened up holes for the run game and Allen had time on some throws also. 

Gameplan looked similar to Rams and Titans game...take the easy throws, let them do the work, keep the chains moving.

Well, both tackles were beaten like drums, Allen was under duress most of the game, we gave up a strip sack with a vicious hit from Allen’s blindside, and lost a TD to a holding penalty.  Some would say that’s not good, even if it’s understandable.

10 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Rewatching the game.  Quesenberry was even worse than I thought.  He straight up fell down on one play without even touching a defender and then Uche ran right by him a play later.  I haven't gotten to the sack from Uche which I'm sure will again be someone running right by him.

Well and to someone else upthread, this is why I thought Sal’s arrow up on the OL would be controversial.  

Yeah, we had a good day in the run game, and yeah Quess playing hurt,  but YIKEs

On 12/1/2022 at 11:13 PM, billybob71 said:

wasn't ever close or exciting but damn Al Michaels sounds so bored calling football games

I think this every time. I honestly could see this being his last year because he is painfully uninterested in Thursday Night Football. I like the guy but his inability to get excited is a kind of a downer.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

40 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

I think this every time. I honestly could see this being his last year because he is painfully uninterested in Thursday Night Football. I like the guy but his inability to get excited is a kind of a downer.

Not for nothing, but the Thursday night football games have been pretty painfully uninteresting for most fans. 

But I agree, he just doesn't seem like he wants to do the job anymore. 

• Agree 2

13 hours ago, Maine-iac said:

Rewatching the game.  Quesenberry was even worse than I thought.  He straight up fell down on one play without even touching a defender and then Uche ran right by him a play later.  I haven't gotten to the sack from Uche which I'm sure will again be someone running right by him.

I felt bad for him...he was obviously severely hobbled pretty much from the first series where he re-aggravated his ankle injury and had to get a massive tape job. Came back in to try and gut it out but obviously was not anything close to 100%. Gutsy effort from him, even if it wasn't a good performance.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.