12/1/2022 - NFL Week #13 - Bills at Pats* - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

15 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Someone needs to overlay those Mac Jones scrambles backwards for like 30 yards while the Bills chased him with Benny Hill chase scene music...

Mostly it was Jordan Phillips. And I know that Mac & Cheese didn't have any trouble outrunning him (I mean, Phillips isn't exactly built for speed...) but looking at Jones' demeanor in those pursuits, he may as well have been running from a loose Rottweiler. When Josh Allen has to flee the pocket, and extend a play while being pursued (by players a lot faster than Jordan Phillips), he'll run towards the sideline with his eyes down field. Mac & Cheese will usually run for the exits. A couple times it looked like poor, out-of-breath Jordan Phillips was practically pleading with him to just throw the damn ball away. I believe there was one play where he had gotten so far upfield that he had to get to a spot where he could set his feet in order get it past the LOS. It was hilarious.

• Haha (+1) 1

Thought this was really interesting, from Joe Buscaglia's Athletic article today (paywall):

https://theathletic.com/3960194/2022/12/02/bills-patriots-result-thursday-night-football/

The Cook and Hines package returns with a vengeance

Against the Browns in Week 11, the Bills flashed a personnel package including both Cook and Nyheim Hines as a means to put pressure on the defense in different ways. They did it on a handful of snaps, but it wasn’t a heavy piece of their game plan. Then against the Lions in Week 12, the Bills mostly went away from that personnel grouping, and Hines himself as the back had only four snaps total.

But offensive coordinator Ken Dorsey may have been keeping it in his back pocket for the Patriots game, as they used Cook and Hines on the field together a whopping 12 times throughout the game. While it doesn’t seem like a lot, that’s far more two-running back sets than the Bills had ever run previously. The Bills effectively used Hines in a similar way Brian Daboll used Isaiah McKenzie as a gadget receiver several years ago. And despite some plays that were duds, it was highly productive with some chunk plays. The Bills gained 78 yards on those 12 plays, for an average of 6.5 yards each time. Considering the Bills only averaged 4.6 yards per play on their other 60 plays, that Cook and Hines group gave them a major edge as it was sprinkled in throughout the game.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

How is that not a penalty

So I very clearly remember that play.  I also thought it was a penalty.  Prime was very poor sideline reporting last night..  And their replays were very selectively shown.  Punter gets crushed on a play, no replay.  There were two punts that Buffalo came close to blocking.  No replay..

I saw a replay today of the Josh Allen forward flip to Hines that went for 20.  They superimposed a red line of scrimmage.  From the quick look I saw, it appeared that it was over the LOS.  Anyone catch that?

Edited by wjag
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Davis has been a little inconsistent this year in his new role, but 650 yards on pace for 942 yards and 8-9 TDs is not exactly terrible for a #2. Not sure what people are expecting.

Easy-

Better hands.

More separation.  

3 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

I’m genuinely impressed with how well he does on NFL games. I just expected “another college guy” trying to make the jump. Sure, it took him a few games but he’s done it. It’s really likely that his fast transition is due in great part to Al’s tutoring. Al might be slow on the draw anymore, but he was a great one in his prime. The two of them seem to get along and that relationship is helping Herbstreit become legitimate in the NFL.

Credit to the fans who notice announcers and their styles.

I don’t generally notice them at all unless they obsess over a player over and over. 

5 minutes ago, wjag said:

So I very clearly remember that play.  I also thought it was a penalty.  Prime was very poor sideline reporting last night..  And their replays were very selectively shown.  Punter gets crushed on a play, no replay.  There were two punts that Buffalo came close to blocking.  No replay..

I saw a replay today of the Josh Allen forward flip to Hines that went for 20.  They superimposed a red line of scrimmage.  From the quick look I saw, it appeared that it was over the LOS.  Anyone catch that?

He wasn’t. Also if any part of the QB’s body is behind the line it’s ok. Meaning  the arm and ball can be over the line if a foot is still behind. JA on that play was ok but half yard or more.
But replays were very few and far between with Amazon. How was it not at least running into kicker. KH not meant to announce NFL games imho!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Shout out to Dorsey, Mitch Morse, and the running backs. If the Bills run game weren't as improved as it is, the Pats* could have played closer zone coverage, and spent more assets on exploiting the weakness of the left side of the O-line, and really put Allen on the run with nowhere to throw to. As it was, it was really only Uche applying the pressure from the left. Allen always had a short option, and had no trouble getting the ball out quick. The Pats* had to respect the run. That's a good offensive scheme from Dorsey.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, wjag said:

I’ve been wondering the same on punts altogether.  The NFL used to call running into the kicker penalties at the slightest touch, it seems like they’ve been letting a lot more go in recent seasons…

• Agree 1

13 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

24-10 doesn’t do that one justice at all. Light work. 

Yes, but just think what a beating the Pats took having to be on defense for 38 minutes.  That 94 yard 9 minute drive was epic. 

That will be in the Pats heads for a while.  That being said, hoping for a snow game in NE vs the 'phins on New Years Day, and Stevenson pounds the rock.

2 minutes ago, Rocky Landing said:

Don't know if this was posted elsewhere, but... wow. This is Mac & Cheese yelling at Patricia. 

If he ever became a winning QB, i think he’d be the biggest douche in the league - easily.  As it stands, he’s an extremely below average QB that is limiting what the offense can do and he still thinks he’s good enough to have that attitude.  Someone needs to pull him aside and remind him that he’s not good enough to have the attitude he displays. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, fergie's ire said:

Yeah, that makes sense to me.  Look at when Davis ran the same route as the Diggs touchdown in the end zone.  Ball was placed just out of his reached but needed to be because the defender was right on his back.  If you look at his route, not only did he not sell the inside move like Diggs, but he really rounded his route.  Particularly in tight quarters close to the end zone, that's a problem.  I noted it at the time, but hadn't thought that it might be because of his injury.

If you watch him run and jog after plays he has a really awkward stride. Maybe that’s just how he runs, but it doesn’t look right to me.

Just forwarded to me, sorry if already posted, a Pats fan reaction from Barstool:

”--I hated this game like it was FTX. Like it was Deadspin back when Deadspin was a thing. I hated it like it was a Gender Reveal Party. I hated more than anything I've ever seen on Prime, including Rings of Power. I hated it like it was a person who closes their eyes while starting a sentence with, "Well, actually ..." I couldn't hate this game more if it called me today without texting first. I'm filled with more resentment toward Matt Patricia than that mom who tried to mask shame my family during Covid, while we were passing her on a hiking trail. The Patriots were that $1.7 million San Francisco public toilet that broke downafter three days. I hated their performance like it was the 1980s drinking water at Camp LeJune. I would rather have spent three hours of my Thursday night watching  those  TikToks where sad narcissists talk direct to camera beginning with, "I didn't want to have to make this video, but ..." If this game could speak, it wouldn't be aware of how embarrassingly loud its conversational tone is. If it were a meal, it would have a hair in it. If it was music, it would be Christmas songs on the store PA system in September. I'm in the process of moving to a new house starting tomorrow, and I've hated the process of organizing every item in 28 years worth of accumulated stuff less than I hated the Patriots offensive scheme. Above all else, I hate the way it made me hate it so much.  Hate turned in on itself. An infinite Moebius strip of hate.”

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, QLBillsFan said:

But replays were very few and far between with Amazon. How was it not at least running into kicker. KH not meant to announce NFL games imho!

Reminded me............I was at the game. Whoever was running the stats was inept. When the Bills put the first 3 up it didn't show on the scoreboard for at least 5 minutes and down and distance was often late/wrong. The stadium was amazing, the jumbotron was amazing, statisticians were poor. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.