12/1/2022 - NFL Week #13 - Bills at Pats* - Post game thread

BuffaloBill

53 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

I’m genuinely impressed with how well he does on NFL games. I just expected “another college guy” trying to make the jump. Sure, it took him a few games but he’s done it. It’s really likely that his fast transition is due in great part to Al’s tutoring. Al might be slow on the draw anymore, but he was a great one in his prime. The two of them seem to get along and that relationship is helping Herbstreit become legitimate in the NFL.

He’s very good!
Easily As in depth and polished as Romo, stuck with holding up, old man, whistling teeth Al!

1 hour ago, Casey D said:

I have 24 blocked posters.  Amazingly, only two posting in this thread.  Just shows how many are just trolls whose only goal is to spread misery.  Great morning after for the rest of us.

Where are all the Cheater loyalists to lecture me on never counting out the genius cheater Bellicheat and how good the Cheater defense is

• Like (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Added to the TD Total...

Good post from Greg. 

Most people were saying they wanted Davis to emerge as a WR2… but they didn’t actually know what that meant and were expecting WR1 production, but just less production than Diggs which would make him our WR2. 

It doesn’t excuse the drops and miscues… they’re annoying… but he’s still been producing. 

That’s all. 

Edited by JGMcD2
  • Like (+1) 3

46 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Added to the TD Total...

Look at his drops. Look at the number of interceptions when he’s targeted. He has those volume numbers because of the style of offense the Bills play. Eye test tells me his ankle is still hurt and he can’t get separation.

• Agree 1

That was the most I've enjoyed watching a Bills game since they faced the Chiefs. In my opinion, it was the first time since then that they mostly looked like the team we know they can be and expect them to be. Josh looked more like, well...Josh, too.

Some thoughts from the game, which I'll  just leave here because I don't want to make a LAMP post.

- THAT was Buffalo Bills defense. Yeah, yeah, yeah, "it's just Mac Jones", "Pats stink on offense"...whatever. That was a 6-5, Belichick-coached team at home, with a hammer at running back, a couple good tight ends, and a guy coming off his best passing game of the year. After the first drive or so, once they got their feet under them, the Bills defense played fast, hit hard, communicated well, and flew to the football. There were occasional lapses into bad tackling (though some of that is the fact that Rhamondre Stevenson is an absolute unit), but for the most part, this night saw a return to the defensive form we saw early in the season. Which leads us to...

- Edmunds, Milano, Poyer, and Tre White being in the game all made a HUGE difference. Add Rousseau to that list, too. A healthy defense is a much better defense. Imagine that? Edmunds, in particular, is really showing his value this season. I don't know how anyone could watch a game with Edmunds in the lineup and then a game without him and conclude anything other than "he's massively important to the Bills' defensive success".

- Xavier Rhodes looked good at corner all night. The Elam benching was a head scratcher that I don't care to get into here, but I thought the outside trio of White, Jackson, and Rhodes, played quite well. Jackson looks like a different guy when Edmunds and White are in the lineup. Seeing Tre White back and playing well was such a sight for sore eyes.

- Shaq Lawson is the Bills' third best defensive end. He's really been playing well and bringing juice to that DL. Lord knows we'll need him the next few games with Von out. Excellent signing by Beane.

- Oliver was wrecking plays. Again. He's gone full "beast mode" the last two games. He'll be the main guy picking up the passing rushing slack the next few weeks, IMO.

- This was Dorsey's best game as a play caller. Multi-RB sets, motion, eye candy, sticking with the run, long, sustained drives, getting Diggs involved, getting Davis involved (drops notwithstanding)...just excellent stuff from Dorsey. I said before the game that he'd really need to bring his "A game" to beat the Pats defense, and he did. If this is a sign of things to come, I'm encouraged.

- Josh looked better this week. He still had a boneheaded play or two (one, in particular, that should have been picked and he had no reason to throw), but all in all, a big improvement over the last couple weeks. 

- I love Stefon Diggs. That's all. I just love him.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Logic said:

That was the most I've enjoyed watching a Bills game since they faced the Chiefs. In my opinion, it was the first time since then that they mostly looked like the team we know they can be and expect them to be. Josh looked more like, well...Josh, too.

Some thoughts from the game, which I'll  just leave here because I don't want to make a LAMP post.

- THAT was Buffalo Bills defense. Yeah, yeah, yeah, "it's just Mac Jones", "Pats stink on offense"...whatever. That was a 6-5, Belichick-coached team at home, with a hammer at running back, a couple good tight ends, and a guy coming off his best passing game of the year. After the first drive or so, once they got their feet under them, the Bills defense played fast, hit hard, communicated well, and flew to the football. There were occasional lapses into bad tackling (though some of that is the fact that Rhamondre Stevenson is an absolute unit), but for the most part, this night saw a return to the defensive form we saw early in the season. Which leads us to...

- Edmunds, Milano, Poyer, and Tre White being in the game all made a HUGE difference. Add Rousseau to that list, too. A healthy defense is a much better defense. Imagine that? Edmunds, in particular, is really showing his value this season. I don't know how anyone could watch a game with Edmunds in the lineup and then a game without him and conclude anything other than "he's massively important to the Bills' defensive success".

- Xavier Rhodes looked good at corner all night. The Elam benching was a head scratcher that I don't care to get into here, but I thought the outside trio of White, Jackson, and Rhodes, played quite well. Jackson looks like a different guy when Edmunds and White are in the lineup. Seeing Tre White back and playing well was such a sight for sore eyes.

- Shaq Lawson is the Bills' third best defensive end. He's really been playing well and bringing juice to that DL. Lord knows we'll need him the next few games with Von out. Excellent signing by Beane.

- Oliver was wrecking plays. Again. He's gone full "beast mode" the last two games. He'll be the main guy picking up the passing rushing slack the next few weeks, IMO.

- This was Dorsey's best game as a play caller. Multi-RB sets, motion, eye candy, sticking with the run, long, sustained drives, getting Diggs involved, getting Davis involved (drops notwithstanding)...just excellent stuff from Dorsey. I said before the game that he'd really need to bring his "A game" to beat the Pats defense, and he did. If this is a sign of things to come, I'm encouraged.

- Josh looked better this week. He still had a boneheaded play or two (one, in particular, that should have been picked and he had no reason to throw), but all in all, a big improvement over the last couple weeks. 

Tre and Xavier should absolutely be the 1 and 2 down the stretch.  I would like Elam to rotate in because he has 4.35 speed

13 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Look at his drops. Look at the number of interceptions when he’s targeted. He has those volume numbers because of the style of offense the Bills play. Eye test tells me his ankle is still hurt and he can’t get separation.

He may still be hurt but he was never really a big separation receiver. 

Most of his big plays have been with a guy right in his pocket. 

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

One thing about rookies is sometimes they tend to "hit a wall" around this time of year. The NFL is a longer season then CFB so maybe they were giving Elam a rest considering who they have playing in the secondary now. Otherwise, I also don't get why he was a healthy scratch. 

17 minutes ago, Logic said:

Lot of great points, but wanted to focus on this one.

SOMETHING happened at the end of the kickoff after our first TD that had the Pats/Bills jawwing at each other and almost fighting. And whatever it was, got Shaq so fired up he dominated the 3 plays the Pats had before having to punt from their endzone. And he got the rest of that DL fired up and riding his energy.

Great to have Shaq and JPhillips back. Need that fire and swagger up front.

I still wonder what happened on that kickoff...

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Greg S said:

One thing about rookies is sometimes they tend to "hit a wall" around this time of year. The NFL is a longer season then CFB so maybe they were giving Elam a rest considering who they have playing in the secondary now. Otherwise, I also don't get why he was a healthy scratch. 

Add to this they really have no offseason going from prepping for the combine and pro days to rookie mini camp to training camp and then a longer season and it's basically no time off between last college and rookie year

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

Add to this they really have no offseason going from prepping for the combine and pro days to rookie mini camp to training camp and then a longer season and it's basically no time off between last college and rookie year

Good point. Let's hope the Jets forget this and Sauce "hits his wall" trying to cover Diggs.

17 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He may still be hurt but he was never really a big separation receiver. 

Most of his big plays have been with a guy right in his pocket. 

Except on deep balls...then he gets a lot of separation 

50 minutes ago, JGMcD2 said:

Good post from Greg. 

Most people were saying they wanted Davis to emerge as a WR2… but they didn’t actually know what that meant and were expecting WR1 production, but just less production than Diggs which would make him our WR2. 

It doesn’t excuse the drops and miscues… they’re annoying… but he’s still been producing. 

That’s all. 

I think he’s leading the league in drops per target by a healthy margin also but I’m trying to track down where I saw that stat.  His 6 credited drops is tied for the league lead and everyone else with that many drops has way more targets 

27 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

Yeah, that makes sense to me.  Look at when Davis ran the same route as the Diggs touchdown in the end zone.  Ball was placed just out of his reached but needed to be because the defender was right on his back.  If you look at his route, not only did he not sell the inside move like Diggs, but he really rounded his route.  Particularly in tight quarters close to the end zone, that's a problem.  I noted it at the time, but hadn't thought that it might be because of his injury.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

He’s not different. He’s terrible. But as an extra OL he doesn’t have to do much.

I don't get these comments.   He has carved out a role as the extra lineman in running situations and gets important reps with the offense - and when called upon he has done well.   Not one guy in that locker room, coach or player, would argue that.  

Hart is not a starter we all get that.  But he is vet that can fill most OL positions and has contributed this year.   

Look past the obvious.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.