Greg Cossell not pulling any punches on Bills: "This is not a super talented offense"

FilthyBeast

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

OL is the hardest position group to fill. You have to massively overpay in FA and they are hard to project coming out of college. Also, the best OTs (the ones that are so good that they project easily) tend to go in the first half of the first round. So, listening to Greg Cossell and the negative posters (and resident Dolphins' fan) here on TBD that are luxuriating in his podcast hot take, the best course of action is for the Bills to lose out so that they can finish 8-9 and get that pick. Someone call up WGR and suggest that. They'll love that take.

I think a good team can be dominate with 2 superstar offensive weapons if they scheme properly to create production for players that cannot create their production on their own. 

I think you're reading this wrong. 

I haven't seen anyone in this thread say the Bills aren't a good team as a whole.  Just that certain parts of the offense are not as talented as expected and that the team ranks good inspite of that

4 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

Peerless Price looked like a 1B next to Eric Moulds, but when he was the 1A in Atlanta, he didn't have the talent to produce the same.  

That's the point I'm making,  and that's how i took what Cosell is saying. 

Sure superstar players make other players look good, but if the natural talent wasn't there to begin with, what do you have? 

Did you think that Davis wasn’t an incredible talent after the Chiefs playoff game, as a 2nd year player? When you watch Knox,with his speed and ability to get downfield, do you doubt his talent? When you watched Singletary against the Browns, do you not see talent there. Cosell has an opinion like all the people on this board. We watch all the games carefully and see the strengths and weaknesses of the players.

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah but he had Belichik's defense. We have McD/Frazier and we all know how script plays out against good teams and QB's when it matters in the playoffs.

I just mentioned this in another thread about the Dolphins and their quick turnaround under McDaniel, but just think where this team could be next year if the Pegulas aren't afraid to make a bold move in terms of GM/HC change. The foundation is there with a franchise QB and you get a coach that runs a real defense and make some tweaks offensively and this team can truly ascend next year even in a monster that this division is becoming.

The Dolphins quick turnaround? They were 10-6 in 2020, 9-8 in 2021. You are acting like they were devoid of talent and rebuilt their team. They have been this team for a few years now. They just went through an insanely easy period of their schedule. Let's see how the season goes before we make any bold statements about the Dolphins. And even if they make the playoffs and go on a decent run, there is nothing quick about their turnaround. This is year 4 of their rebuild.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, loyal2dagame said:

I think a good team can be dominate with 2 superstar offensive weapons if they scheme properly to create production for players that cannot create their production on their own. 

I think you're reading this wrong. 

I haven't seen anyone in this thread say the Bills aren't a good team as a whole.  Just that certain parts of the offense are not as talented as expected and that the team ranks good inspite of that

I was just joking of course. In all seriousness, I expect to see Hines involved in the offense a lot more tonight. He had his first full week of practice and his first practices with Josh as a full participant this week. 

• Agree 1

Just now, Eastport bills said:

Did you think that Davis wasn’t an incredible talent after the Chiefs playoff game, as a 2nd year player? When you watch Knox,with his speed and ability to get downfield, do you doubt his talent? When you watched Singletary against the Browns, do you not see talent there. Cosell has an opinion like all the people on this board. We watch all the games carefully and see the strengths and weaknesses of the players.

1 game is not sustained success. 

Davis was incredible in the playoffs and I'm not saying he wasn't.  But based off of that performance,  where is he now? 

JA17 - Elite

RB stable - average at best

FB - uhhhhh

Diggs - Elite

Davis - above average

The rest of the WR group - average at best to below average

Dawkins - Good

Morse - above average

Bates - average at best

Saffold - average at best

Brown - below average

Josh makes the entire thing go. Without Josh, this is a 6-11 to 8-9 team. 

• Vomit 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

JA17 - Elite

FB - uhhhhh

Diggs - Elite

Davis - above average

Dawkins - Good

Morse - above average

Bates - average at best

Brown - below average

That's a good breakdown.  As for the last comment, I think you could say that about any one of the top teams right now (KC w/out Mahomes would be in the same situation, imo).

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

JA17 - Elite

FB - uhhhhh

Diggs - Elite

Davis - above average

Dawkins - Good

Morse - above average

Bates - average at best

Brown - below average

Seems like a good offense to me. Basically a bunch of average guys with two super elite players. That's pretty awesome.

BTW, Morse is more than just above average. He is a really good center.

• Disagree 1

6 minutes ago, MJS said:

The Dolphins quick turnaround? They were 10-6 in 2020, 9-8 in 2021. You are acting like they were devoid of talent and rebuilt their team. They have been this team for a few years now. They just went through an insanely easy period of their schedule. Let's see how the season goes before we make any bold statements about the Dolphins. And even if they make the playoffs and go on a decent run, there is nothing quick about their turnaround. This is year 4 of their rebuild.

Yep. This was much more the 2019 Bills adding Stefon Diggs than the Bengals going from worst to first and the Superbowl. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Agree 1

Just now, Success said:

That's a good breakdown.  As for the last comment, I think you could say that about any one of the top teams right now (KC w/out Mahomes would be in the same situation, imo).

KC has the line and offensive weapons to be more sustainable if something were to happen to Mahomes. Plus they have Andy Reid calling plays. That’s huge…

1 hour ago, Jerome007 said:

Morse, Dawkins are good. OLine is not as bad as portrayed. Not a strength, but people pile on too much.

How many teams are stacked with only top talent? Ridiculous. 2nd scoring offense. Knox, Davis are better than average. Sure it's not Kelce or the Jefferson/Thiele duo but anyway

I don't think they are better than average, because if they were better than average, we wouldn't be asking where Davis and Knox are on the offense.  Davis and Knox have been extremely underwhelming pass catching.  The 99 yard TD catch was cool, but that was like 2 months ago.  It's time to put up or show up.  The OC isn't absolved from this, either.  He needs to figure out a way to get Davis/Knox more involved.

Eh.  Players are plenty talented.  It's the increasingly weird play calling that isn't spreading the ball around.  

Dawson Knox is a talented player, but he gets 2-3 targets a game.  The most targets he's had is 7 vs. the Browns. 

Hines is a talented player but barely sees the field on offense.  

For as much grief as McKenzie gets, he too more or less gets like 3 targets a game outside of Detroit (10) and Miami (9).

The offense has bogged down to Allen, Diggs and Singletary, with occasional sprinkling of the others.  There's a game coming where they will need to rely on the supporting cast to get the job done.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I disagree with the assessment from Cossell.  The Bills have a good roster.  Yes, the O line under Beane has been underwhleming but he has spent draft capital in addressing the issues and signing FA talent.  The OTs are good as is Morse.  This is one of the best scoring teams in the NFL.  Right now they are going through growing pains with Dorsey.  The WRs,  Knox and the RBs will prove them selves in this stretch run.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.