Greg Cossell not pulling any punches on Bills: "This is not a super talented offense"

FilthyBeast

39 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

This is another reason why some fans like myself wanted Beane to make a meaningful move to help Josh out.  I myself stated that teams are just loading up on Diggs and daring other to beat them.  Look at all the weapons and great line Mahomes was given and Allen gets Diggs and a bunch of scrubs. I really they sign OBJ and don't care what low football IQ think.  Those are the guys crying and blaming Allen where they lose in the playoffs.  This group is the worse offensive group in the past 3-4 seasons.  There is no one player who can take over if Diggs gets doubled and tripled teamed,  

Just glad Greg called it,  they really need to bring in OBJ and never mind with John Brown who could not make it with 3 other teams since leaving Buffalo

OBJ is a me first, injury riddled diva who had some good games in LA before his predictable injury. He wants big money and he’s a jerk if he doesn’t get targets. He was a net loss in NY, who dumped him for peanuts and he tried to destroy the Browns because Baker didn’t trust him to catch the ball. We could use another receiver because they never replaced Beasley, but OBJ is a one man team wrecker, who can’t stay on the field.

Davis was supposed to be the #2 receiver (has not panned out), and McKenzie was supposed to replace Beasley (pretty invisible, aside from the Detroit game). After just about every game, people ask: "Where was Knox?" OL is not good at run blocking, and Singletary is average, at best.

14 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Tom Brady had a line that could protect him and give him time.  If Brady had our line, he'd be on his back most of every game and would probably be out for the season at this point since he's nowhere near as mobile as Josh.

Exactly, which is why the line is far less of an issue for Allen than it is for most QBs.

17 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Again, what’s the difference between a fine 3 and a substandard 2 when he’s the only option at number 2 and he’s had success in the playoffs both in his rookie season and last season. As mentioned, he’s been playing hurt this season which is huge, and he’s been productive. Do you think his drop against the Jets is the reason we lost? Other than that, the defense was substandard in the Minn and and Jets losses,and we’re 8 and 0 in the other games. I don’t count that Miami game because there could have been fatalities due to the NFL oblivious conduct regarding the heat. By the way, were you worried about catch ratio when he destroyed the Pats and Chiefs in the playoffs. 

I've said it in other posts, I think Gabe is a great teammate and I applaud him for playing hurt when other guys wouldnt.  The argument here is whether the Bills have superior talent on the offensive side of the ball other than Josh.   He is for sure the only option they have as a number 2 that I also dont disagree with.  Do I think his drops in games we lost are the main reason we lost, no, but they are part of the reason.     HIs route running has also been part of the reason we've lost games.     Again, at this point in his career his game just isnt good enough.  It's not his fault he's been pushed into that role.

I wasn't worried about his catch rate against the Pats and Chiefs because we had other fail-safes built in.    I am glad the guy is on the team, I just wish we had a better #2 so Gabe's deficiencies weren't as visible.

7 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Exactly, which is why the line is far less of an issue for Allen than it is for most QBs.

You don't want your franchise player having to scramble every play and it's just a statistical fact that a QB is less accurate when having to throw on the run.

The line is indeed a huge problem since Josh can't go through his normal progression and is having to improvise on the run.  Those are not high percentage plays and are quite often plays that lead to Josh trying to do too much.

Nevermind they suck at run blocking too.

Edited by Billz4ever

6 minutes ago, BeastMaster said:

I think the offense is missing that WR with game breaking speed that can make dynamic plays

The OL could be better, but I think they are middle of the pack

That's essentially what Greg Cosell said, despite the OP of this thread misquoting him.  He said the OL is not "very good", not that they're "bad"

He has previously said that they're "average or a bit above average" (ie, middle of the pack)

We have WRs with game breaking speed, it's the "get open and catch the ball" part that's a question

KC is basically the same thing...one top guy and their QB

Not really same.  They have a very good OL and two RBs who are headed for another >1500 Y/Sc year, a solid to very good vet WR in S-S, and speedy guys in Valdez-Scantling and (when healthy) Hardman.  So they have an average-ish run game exclusive of their QB and better targets behind Kelce.

I also believe that better play calling could help us

Perhaps it's what you mean, but .... better play design?

I think something else to keep in mind is how often they've shuffled the OL this season. I don't even recall the last time they played their starting five to begin a game. When you go down a starter or two on the OL it can change your game plan drastically. A guy like Dawkins is someone you can generally leave one on one but would it be the same for Quesadillasberry? Now maybe they gotta adjust protection, Motor has to go chip the end, or now they need Knox in line more than out wide, just a couple examples. And not just the OL but nearly every starter on offense has ended up on the injury report and missed some time. That stuff can really make a difference. And they've been dealing with it all season. Despite this, they've been able to win more often than not. 

I dunno. I have a feeling they've also kept a number of plays and personnel groupings in their back pocket until later in the season. Just seems like they haven't totally shown what they can do and a lot of that falls back on injuries and the other part is likely execution. 

Just imagine if they head into the playoffs with a nearly 100% starting lineup on both sides of the ball.... The Injury Devil must be exorcised. 

Aside from Allen and Diggs, they’re not. It’s a nice offense , not one that just blows you away with talent alt every position. So we’ve known thisWe have as fans come to expect a level of performance from Josh Allen that elevates the talent around him. When Josh’s performance takes a dip, the shine comes off much of the offense as a whole. Just hoping he gets the Mojo back and turns it up even higher like he did last season. 

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

I mean...is the play caller causing route-running mistakes or WR failing to haul in catchable throws, or having drops?

No, but did these same players have those same problems last season? Our offense isn't that much different personel wise

3 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

So when I use statistics I’m oversimplifying and you use statistics on catch ratio which could have stemmed from 2 or 3 drops over a few games to render him untalented. Why the negativity and the need to diminish our talent level? Because Greg Cosell said so during a blog interview. Funny, I’ve been listening to him every week on the “Herd” , and he never once mentioned a lack of talent on our offense. Maybe he had nothing fresh or noteworthy to say.  We are watching a rookie ( Cook) evolving into a contributor and Hines being integrated into our offense. One offensive explosion and you’re back on the bandwagon.

Whoa, take a breath, Fella! Punctuation Saves Lives!

Cosell has been expressing similar concerns regularly on his weekly "OBL" pieces with Chris Brown and Steve Tasker - that the Bills offense depends too much upon Josh Allen vs. having a run game and scheming WR open, and that the OL is "average or slightly above average" but not good.  This has been a theme, so I dunno what he says on the "Herd" as I don't watch it, and of course someone can disagree with Cosell,but it's his genuine opinion not because he had "nothing fresh to say"

I would be happy to see an offensive explosion

Gabe Davis sub-par catch % can not entirely be explained by 2 or 3 scored drops (balls that reach the receiver within a certain frame and are ruled to be catchable with "ordinary effort".  Gabe has 6 of those this season.  He also had 5 last season, so this isn't a fluke.  If you add half his drops to his catches, he'd have a catch % of 60% instead of 55%, which would be OK, but still a bit low (all but 2 of the 22 WR above Gabe for yards have >61%)

I love Gabe as a player but I wish he could hold onto the rock a bit better.  Would help him, would help Josh, would help the Bills.

Edited by Beck Water

17 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I've said it in other posts, I think Gabe is a great teammate and I applaud him for playing hurt when other guys wouldnt.  The argument here is whether the Bills have superior talent on the offensive side of the ball other than Josh.   He is for sure the only option they have as a number 2 that I also dont disagree with.  Do I think his drops in games we lost are the main reason we lost, no, but they are part of the reason.     HIs route running has also been part of the reason we've lost games.     Again, at this point in his career his game just isnt good enough.  It's not his fault he's been pushed into that role.

I wasn't worried about his catch rate against the Pats and Chiefs because we had other fail-safes built in.    I am glad the guy is on the team, I just wish we had a better #2 so Gabe's deficiencies weren't as visible.

The will be the last attempt at giving you some perspective on Davis. In a game where Diggs was taken away, Davis had enough route running to score 4 TDs against a team that knew we were throwing to him. He’s a guy who every team would pursue in free agency because of his production this season, as bad as you think his route running is. What fail-safes did we have in those games. Beasley was hurt, McKenzie was invisible and Sanders was hurt. How many Bills receivers have performed better than Davis in 4 playoff games in his first 2 years? I’ll give you a hint; NONE

5 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

No, but did these same players have those same problems last season? Our offense isn't that much different personel wise

Gabe Davis actually did - he had 5 scored drops on 35 receptions last year (8%) vs so far 6 scored drops on 36 receptions (10%), and overall 55.6% catch rate vs 55% catch rate this year.  I don't know about the route running mistakes.

Gabe injured his ankle early last season and Bills media (Sal Capaccio I think) said it impacted him in practice almost halfway through the season.  This season, he missed Game 2, then seemed to have a great game and be all healed up vs. Pitt and KC.  I don't know if he injured it again, but he's not been on injury report since week 5.  It's a concern that his ankle may be a recurring problem.

5 hours ago, Logic said:

Cosell is right: the Bills offense, outside of Allen and Diggs, is nothing special. It depends too much on Allen being Superman every week.

This certainly wasn't your perspective last spring.    Same with @eball.  

Lotta' guffawing when it was sensibly pointed out that the Bills were thin at WR and expecting too much from unproven,  injury prone and low pedigree talents.

I’m really beginning to think Dorsey is the problem. Yeah, he’s learning on the job, I get it. He needs to turn it around starting tonight. We have enough offensive talent, he just needs to do a better job of scheming them open especially those not named Diggs. This offense was much more dynamic with Daboll calling the plays, and the ball was spread around to more players. Knox didn’t disappear because he sucks. Josh didn’t forget how to throw deep crossers or shorter passes over the middle. Singletary doesn’t bench himself after the first quarter. 

Dorsey is the issue. I’m not saying he can’t get better, I just hope he does real quick or the division is in jeopardy and we will be competing for a wild card spot.

• Like (+1) 1

The Bills offense is stuck in second gear because their Offensive Coordinator has used up all his innovations, and the rest of the league has caught on  

It was Josh plus Daboll that made the Bills offense so deadly the past couple of years.  Now it's just Josh being asked to be a hero every game.

The biggest issue is a combination of Davis and Mackenzie underachieving what we thought they might be able to do and Dorsey’s play calling. 

Davis and Mackenzie both have had great games last year and seemed to be turning a corner but neither truly did. They are still a high end 3WR and a gimmick WR. Additionally both still have drop and route running issues.

Daboll and Dorsey have opposite issues as to where their offenses would sink. Daboll would get too cute at times as well as change things when a change wasn’t even needed. (The many times we’d dominate one way and then for unknown reason avoid doing that for the remainder of the game) Dorsey is the opposite; he has great difficulty being creative and making changes on the fly. When we dominated a team at season’s start we’d keep hammering them to a pulp. In the Packers game he seemed to go full Daboll and change the scheme entirely which nearly cost us the game. Since then he either muddles through games or has no reaction to defensive adjustments. Additionally he lacks any semblance of consistency with creative calls to help Allen get into a groove or throw the defense off with routes.

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Whoa, take a breath, Fella! Punctuation Saves Lives!

Cosell has been expressing similar concerns regularly on his weekly "OBL" pieces with Chris Brown and Steve Tasker - that the Bills offense depends too much upon Josh Allen vs. having a run game and scheming WR open, and that the OL is "average or slightly above average" but not good.  This has been a theme, so I dunno what he says on the "Herd" as I don't watch it, and of course someone can disagree with Cosell,but it's his genuine opinion not because he had "nothing fresh to say"

I would be happy to see an offensive explosion

Gabe Davis sub-par catch % can not be explained by 2 or 3 scored drops (balls that reach the receiver within a certain frame and are ruled to be catchable with "ordinary effort".  Gabe has 6 of those this season.  He had 5 last season.  If you add half his drops to his catches, he'd have a catch % of 60% instead of 55%, which would be OK, but still a bit low (all but 2 of the 22 WR above Gabe for yards have >61%)

I love Gabe as a player but I wish he could hold onto the rock a bit better.  Would help him, would help Josh, would help the Bills.

You’re lumping in catch ratio with the idea that Gabe’s talent level is substandard. Aren’t you forgetting about production,(tds, yds, receptions and a team’s record) and what’s the Knox deficiency? Motor has been productive with the limited touches in Dorsey’s offense and Cook looks like he’s explosive. This is a talented offense that has been flat for a few games in the middle of a long season against a tough schedule. You’re pointing to some games where drops happened, but let me remind you Davis has been great on the biggest stage, the playoffs. His performance in consecutive games against NE and KC are two of the best in Bills history. He was great against Indy in his rookie year. How quickly we forget.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.