Greg Cossell not pulling any punches on Bills: "This is not a super talented offense"

FilthyBeast

Oh man I disagree. Bills are in the top of pretty much every statistical category but they don’t have talent on offense? So Diggs and Allen must be doing all the work? How many catches did Diggs have in the playoff game vs. KC? Everything in the NFL is dependent on QB play. You’re not going to have elite players at every position on offense. At most you’ll have 2 maybe  3. You just need other players to fill a role. 

It’s up to the coaching and scheme to put  players in the best position to be successful. It’s funny how Daboll was able to get the most out of guys like McKenzie and Knox but under Dorsey they don’t seem to be involved as much. That’s on coaching. And don’t even get me started on the usage of Devin Singletary. A guy who gets 5 yards a carry but sometimes starts offensive drives on the bench for a rookie RB James Cook who really hasn’t shown  much outside of one good game. 

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Beane said "it starts with protecting Josh" and he tried to keep intact the very good performing line from the end of the prior season.  They spent for Bates, brought in Saffold, and hired Kromer.  And while you may not have liked it, a lot of analysts did, much like this Fantasy Football Index article that had the Bills offensive line ranked as the 5th best heading into the season.

The writeup says

" 5. Buffalo Bills - A line that improved over the course of last season might be even a little better now.  Dion Dawkins and Mitch Morse return as anchors of this unit, and they'll be fine with Spencer Brown at right tackle.  It's at the guard spots where there should be some improvement.  They added Rodger Saffold, and he's been a good road-grader guard for years.  The Titans released him, but it was a cap-driven move; Saffold is 34 but has played at least 15 games six years in a row.  At right guard, they plugged in Ryan Bates late in the year and liked how he played.  The Bears tried to poach him with a four-year deal worth $17 million, buth the Bills matched the offer to keep him around."

The line played well for about 4 games down the stretch after being comfortably our worst unit for most of the season. 

I don't care what some fantasy website says. I bet I watched more Bills all22 last year than they did. The line needed upgrades. Not bringing the same unit back and then signing an overrated 34 year old. Beane alluded to it himself. He didn't follow through sufficiently. 

• Agree 3

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Tom Brady won Super Bowls with less talent on offense.

That was an era when teams were winning games 23-20 on a regular basis. You can't win championships like that anymore, not with all these elite athletic QBs and the rule changes that make offense easier than ever. The Patriots way of winning during their dynasty wouldn't work today IMO.

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Yup.  

For all the "armchair quarterback" commentary about fanbases, many in the Bills fanbase were correctly concerned about WR heading into the season.  

We were told we had "pass catchers" and not to view them as inside, outside receivers or running backs.  It sounded dumb them, and it's proven to be dumb now. 

Not saying Davis and McKenzie can't make a jump or that Dorsey won't figure out how to utilize Knox and Hines, but we're getting late into the season and so far Cosell is spot on.  The obsession to constantly load up on defense (sans Von Miller) has proven to be more than just a fanbase frustration.. It's been borderline malpractice in how to treat a franchise QB ala Rodgers in Green Bay. 

Jamison Crowder being injured has been a big loss.  The guy is a solid NFL WR.  Not spectacular.  But very solid.  Also keeping Kumerow over Hudgins on the 53 man roster was just plain stupid.  Lets get Hines involved to pick up some of the slack.  Guy has blazing speed.  I think the bigger problem is the O line.  Its just not very good compared to a lot of the top lines.  With a good O line, Josh Allen would be unstoppable.  Doesn't really matter who our skill position guys are.  

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I may be wrong, but I believe he always had excellent offensive lines, much like Mahomes. Rarely is this essential factor taking into account when talking heads--or anyone else, for that matter, compare quarterbacks. 

5 hours ago, FilthyBeast said:

Interesting thoughts here on the Ross Tucker podcast from NFL insider Greg Cossell. Basically stating the obvious with JA17 being surrounded by a bad oline not much else outside of Diggs:

Whatever 

• Vomit 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The line played well for about 4 games down the stretch after being comfortably our worst unit for most of the season. 

I don't care what some fantasy website says. I bet I watched more Bills all22 last year than they did. The line needed upgrades. Not bringing the same unit back and then signing an overrated 34 year old. Beane alluded to it himself. He didn't follow through sufficiently. 

My point is that it looked like Beane did try and address the "protecting of Josh".  He tried (and did) execute a plan of keeping the, finally, good playing OL from the previous year and adding a piece.  It took him paying a rather large price for Bates.  And he did add Saffold and Kromer.

I understand you didn't like the plan from the get-go, but others did - as evidenced by the writeup in the magazine.  

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

This, by a mile. OLine stuck out like a sore thumb and was never addressed as required.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

I think Gabe Davis is a fine #3 wideout, I also didnt say he was untalented.  I just think he is a substandard #2.   My reasoning for saying the yardage and touchdown statistics are overly-simplistic is due to the volume of passes the Bills throw.   I point to catch ratio because, he's played enough games in his career to show that regardless of volume he is a sub 60% guy for his career, it's not just this year, he has been under 60% every year hes been in the league

Again, what’s the difference between a fine 3 and a substandard 2 when he’s the only option at number 2 and he’s had success in the playoffs both in his rookie season and last season. As mentioned, he’s been playing hurt this season which is huge, and he’s been productive. Do you think his drop against the Jets is the reason we lost? Other than that, the defense was substandard in the Minn and and Jets losses,and we’re 8 and 0 in the other games. I don’t count that Miami game because there could have been fatalities due to the NFL oblivious conduct regarding the heat. By the way, were you worried about catch ratio when he destroyed the Pats and Chiefs in the playoffs. 

Over the last month, there has been a lot of infighting around Bills Mafia.  Lots of fans are frustrated and disappointed at this team's performance.  Other fans are getting mad, saying the concerns are overblown and this team is still in very good shape.

Well, you can start to see that outsiders are starting to notice too.  They are starting to realize this team just may have been overrated at the start of the season, and we may not be looking at a Super Bowl season (and maybe not even a deep playoff run) after all.

The monster breakout season for Gabe Davis has been extremely underwhelming.  To say the least.

For various reasons, Dawson Knox doesn't seem to be making a big impact this year.  Also disappointing.

Production from the slot has not matched previous years.

Our running game remains a complimentary attack, and not something that can be relied on week to week.

The O-Line is still Dion Dawkins, Mitch Morse and some other questionable pieces.

Not to mention a rookie OC who seems totally outmatched and lost.

10 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

My point is that it looked like Beane did try and address the "protecting of Josh".  He tried (and did) execute a plan of keeping the, finally, good playing OL from the previous year and adding a piece.  It took him paying a rather large price for Bates.  And he did add Saffold and Kromer.

I understand you didn't like the plan from the get-go, but others did - as evidenced by the writeup in the magazine.  

He made one mid range FA move to improve it. I didn't like that move. But leave that aside he didn't do enough.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Tom Brady had a line that could protect him and give him time.  If Brady had our line, he'd be on his back most of every game and would probably be out for the season at this point since he's nowhere near as mobile as Josh.

Ive been screaming for a real offensive line since Allen started his first game. 

Josh Allen masks just how bad they have been throughout his time here. 

Weve been able to spend money elsewhere to make the team stronger since they know Allen could handle poor Oline play...but the injury plague weve had is making it hard for this defense to succeed like its supposed to.

The plague started week 3, and our defense has never been full strength since then.

Losing Hyde was huge and then all of our guys are randomly missing games with injuries. We gotta get healthy defensively.

1 hour ago, WhoTom said:

It's not a super-talented offense, yet it manages to put up an average of 28 points per game, second only to KC.

I think maybe Cosell was more alluding to elite talent.

Allen and Diggs can win most individual matchups against the best in the league, but others need to win their matchups via scheme and creating mismatches.

We have an offense right now that leans a bit too much on Allen and Diggs to carry it.

I think his point is Dorsey probably needs to figure out how to spread that around a bit better for sustainable success.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.