Greg Cossell not pulling any punches on Bills: "This is not a super talented offense"

FilthyBeast

5 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The point being made is they are 2nd because their QB is pretty much a superhuman.   

Exactly. I’ll bet that most of the posters touting the offense as the “second ranked offense” are the same ones that were condemning the top rated defense last year as being misleading stats. 

35 minutes ago, H2o said:

JA17 - Elite

RB stable - average at best

FB - uhhhhh

Diggs - Elite

Davis - above average

The rest of the WR group - average at best to below average

Dawkins - Good

Morse - above average

Bates - average at best

Saffold - average at best

Brown - below average

Josh makes the entire thing go. Without Josh, this is a 6-11 to 8-9 team. 

Agree with everything here, but I would have Davis as average, also Knox not on the list, which I would also give a average to.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im not as down on the OL as some.  They’re ok.  Not many dominating OL’s around the league.  KC has invested heavy there, yet they don’t run the ball great either and Mahomes can be pressured. 

The neglect of the skill positions is notable.  It’s not some second guessing either .. many fans/media were begging the Bills to add another viable outside WR.   ..And that was even before we witnessed McKenzie and Davis, thus far, fail to step up in their new roles. 

I am not totally down on the OL as much as I am the positions. I thought we needed a RG. Putting Bates next to Brown is a mistake in my opinion. 2 of our least experienced lineman next to eachother? Not cool... Bates was playing well at LG and should have stayed there. Poor choice to move him.

8 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

The point being made is they are 2nd because their QB is pretty much a superhuman.   

Not lately.  And what is that point anyway.  Few teams have great offenses without a top tier QB.  If that's the point, what's non-obvious about that?  

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

Tom Brady is the GOAT. Regularly turned average receivers into good ones.

That’s the job of every franchise quarterback.

Nobody is saying Josh Allen should win five or six Super Bowls. But he should be able to take a team with one star receiver and a bunch of nobodies to one or two Super Bowl’s.

KC’s offensive personnel this year really isn’t that much better than the bills. They have Kelce and a bunch of unproven WR’s. I don’t think there o-line is elite. 

And they have a mix of different running backs just like the bills.

Guarantee if all of the skill players were swapped on Buffalo and Kansas City everybody would be freaking out about how the bills have no wide receivers at all and that Kelce isn’t enough.

if it wasn’t for the 13 second debacle Josh Allen should already have that first Super Bowl appearance with essentially the same supporting cast.

If we want to look at a quarterback that does have skill players we probably want to look at Cincinnati.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

I would much rather have a number 2 who is reliable in every game who averages 12 YPC than a player who as a huge game with three deep catches but then disappears for a couple games. We need to regularly move the chains, not have a deep threat who hits big every once in a while.

He’s a 3rd year who has ascended to the number 2 guy and has shown a capacity to play his best in the biggest games. He had an ankle injury and missed 1 game. I’m not a Doctor but his explosion has to be limited for a little bit. We’re 8 and 3 and we have 6 games left. Don’t diminish this guy for kicks. Let the season take shape This is a talented receiver. I’m watching the NFL for 50 plus.

54 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

I had hopes for Davis and I still think he can be serviceable. I have my doubts that he will get a second contract here after we invested heavily in Allen, Diggs, and knox. I think we will draft someone to compete with Davis next year and slide into the number 2 role the following year. 

However…I never really thought for a second that McKenzie could fill beasleys shoes. Sure he he a few good moments, but he’s mainly a gadget guy. I had a strong feeling that decision was gonna bite us and it did. Then again, we brought in crowder who naturally got hurt. Either way, the slot position was arguably Allen’s biggest fallback the last few years and it was largely misjudged by Beane. 

The guy that was supposed to be filling bease role was crowder

McKenzie sign for peanuts comparatively speaking and is a gadget guy

I don’t understand why shakur is not being given more of a chance

4 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That’s the job of every franchise quarterback.

Nobody is saying Josh Allen should win five or six Super Bowls. But he should be able to take a team with one star receiver and a bunch of nobodies to one or two Super Bowl’s.

KC’s offensive personnel this year really isn’t that much better than the bills. They have Kelce and a bunch of unproven WR’s. I don’t think there o-line is elite. 

And they have a mix of different running backs just like the bills.

Guarantee if all of the skill players were swapped on Buffalo and Kansas City everybody would be freaking out about how the bills have no wide receivers at all and that Kelce isn’t enough.

if it wasn’t for the 13 second debacle Josh Allen should already have that first Super Bowl appearance with essentially the same supporting cast.

If we want to look at a quarterback that does have skill players we probably want to look at Cincinnati.

And most of those skill position players, including the QB, are still on their rookie contracts. The Bengals with their poor ownership (and I mean that literally) have a very small SB window.

21 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You're oversimplifying the situation.  Almost anyone playing #2 wideout in this offense would have good statistics.   Davis has been disappointing because he is incredibly inconsistent catching the ball.   He has been in the low 50 to high 40% catch ratio all year.   It's simply not good enough.  

Cossell is dead on with what he said.   Almost across the board the offensive talent has been average to below average.   Outside of Josh, Diggs, Dawkins, Morse, and I'll include Knox here, everyone else has been average.  Saffold, Spencer Brown, and Davis have been grossly substandard when it comes to their performance when compared to their opportunities.

Davis is at 68% catch percentage over the last 3 games. I think this bolds well for the remainder of the season. 

I agree to an extent, but it's kinda silly to say "If we ignore your elite QB and top elite WR1 how talented is your offense?". Do the Chiefs look like a super talented offense if you ignore Mahomes and Kelce ? 

I think our O-line is a bottom 5 unit in the league and would look so much worse on a weekly basis if Allen wasn't a houdini back there.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

The guy that was supposed to be filling bease role was crowder

McKenzie sign for peanuts comparatively speaking and is a gadget guy

I don’t understand why shakur is not being given more of a chance

Cos when he is on the field he can't get open. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Agree with everything here, but I would have Davis as average, also Knox not on the list, which I would also give a average to.

Definitely forgot the TE position.:oops: I would say Knox is above average for a TE. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Morse, Dawkins are good. OLine is not as bad as portrayed. Not a strength, but people pile on too much.

How many teams are stacked with only top talent? Ridiculous. 2nd scoring offense. Knox, Davis are better than average. Sure it's not Kelce or the Jefferson/Thiele duo but anyway

The o line is terrible. That cannot be denied

Cosell is wrong. 

First off Bills have a top NFL talent at QB that alone is huge. What he adds in the running game and passing is incredible. Then they have a top, hall of Fame, WR, a top 10 LT , likely a top 10 RB and a top 10 TE. 

Knox and Singletary are incredibly talented guys. I think motor would get 1k yearly in other offenses. 

Our online is mediocre. But we have the LT and a pro bowl caliber player at C. 

Stack this up versus the Chiefs, as someone else pointed out, or the Ravens, or the Titans, frankly it's on the level. 

Edited by RichRiderBills

19 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

You're oversimplifying the situation.  Almost anyone playing #2 wideout in this offense would have good statistics.   Davis has been disappointing because he is incredibly inconsistent catching the ball.   He has been in the low 50 to high 40% catch ratio all year.   It's simply not good enough.  

Cossell is dead on with what he said.   Almost across the board the offensive talent has been average to below average.   Outside of Josh, Diggs, Dawkins, Morse, and I'll include Knox here, everyone else has been average.  Saffold, Spencer Brown, and Davis have been grossly substandard when it comes to their performance when compared to their opportunities.

So when I use statistics I’m oversimplifying and you use statistics on catch ratio which could have stemmed from 2 or 3 drops over a few games to render him untalented. Why the negativity and the need to diminish our talent level? Because Greg Cosell said so during a blog interview. Funny, I’ve been listening to him every week on the “Herd” , and he never once mentioned a lack of talent on our offense. Maybe he had nothing fresh or noteworthy to say.  We are watching a rookie ( Cook) evolving into a contributor and Hines being integrated into our offense. One offensive explosion and you’re back on the bandwagon.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.