Greg Cossell not pulling any punches on Bills: "This is not a super talented offense"

FilthyBeast

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yep. This was much more the 2019 Bills adding Stefon Diggs than the Bengals going from worst to first and the Superbowl. 

That Bengals turnaround was really weird. I live here and nobody here even expected it. And their offense is quite literally "throw up 50-50 balls to Chase and Higgins." And we all expected them to fall back to earth this year but here they are again tied for the division lead and getting hot going into the playoffs. 

I think Gabe has been a bit of a disappointment this season. Had he taken a big step up, we might not be as harsh on the O in general.

I think Dorsey's use of Knox hasn't been great either. Yes, our O-line needs help, yes he can stay in and block one in a while or help chip, but man call him a few plays, try to get him the ball. And while I didn't love how often we called those McKenzie sweeps under Daboll, I think we did find some success with some of that misdirection stuff. 

Lastly, we're sorely missing a reliable slot option, too bad Crowder got hurt, Mckenzie isn't the answer here, (maybe Bease) and I actually think T. Austin might have been having some success here, had he stuck with the process and bided his time. I'd like to see less Mckenzie here and more Shakir for now. He hasn't proven himself unreliable, lets give him more chances to get open.

Clearly the Dorsey transition hasn't been as seamless as we thought it would be. There's plenty of time to rectify it. Knox needs to get more involved in the passing game and block less. This probably means incorporating some more roll out designs or spread concepts and just let JA work. 

We have enough to get it done, recalibrate the O play calling and design a little bit and get'r done. Go Bills!

…but but but, you can never have enough DL, CB, and day 2 RB’s.  

I will probably be shouted down, but McD and BB have not done a good job of surrounding Josh with better offensive personnel. 

This offense is good because of Josh.  Think of how unstoppable they would be with better OL play, and more consistent WR play beyond Diggs. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

That Bengals turnaround was really weird. I live here and nobody here even expected it. And their offense is quite literally "throw up 50-50 balls to Chase and Higgins." And we all expected them to fall back to earth this year but here they are again tied for the division lead and getting hot going into the playoffs. 

That's because even though the Bengals oline is hot garbage,  the have talented (not average or below average) players at wr (chase and Higgins), rb (mixon), and qb (joe b)

Edited by loyal2dagame

4 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

That's because even though the Bengals oline is hot garbage,  the have talent (not average or below average) players at wr (chase and Higgins), rb (mixon), and qb (joe b)

Agree on all except for Mixon. He has sort of fallen off the RB cliff this year. Outside of one game against the Panthers, he has not produced much. He only has 605 yards on 158 attempts. He has a lower YPC than Motor.

9 minutes ago, loyal2dagame said:

1 game is not sustained success. 

Davis was incredible in the playoffs and I'm not saying he wasn't.  But based off of that performance,  where is he now? 

Where is he now? He’s the number 2 receiver on an 8and3 club. He’s got 650 yds and a 20 yd average per catch thru 10 games played. If we project his stats it gives him a little under 1100 yds and 60 catches as a number 2. With 8 or 9 tds. He’s been dinged and plays thru injury. What are you looking for, Diggs numbers? 

1 minute ago, Eastport bills said:

Where is he now? He’s the number 2 receiver on an 8and3 club. He’s got 650 yds and a 20 yd average per catch thru 10 games played. If we project his stats it gives him a little under 1100 yds and 60 catches as a number 2. With 8 or 9 tds. He’s been dinged and plays thru injury. What are you looking for, Diggs numbers? 

I would much rather have a number 2 who is reliable in every game who averages 12 YPC than a player who as a huge game with three deep catches but then disappears for a couple games. We need to regularly move the chains, not have a deep threat who hits big every once in a while.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

You're oversimplifying the situation.  Almost anyone playing #2 wideout in this offense would have good statistics.   Davis has been disappointing because he is incredibly inconsistent catching the ball.   He has been in the low 50 to high 40% catch ratio all year.   It's simply not good enough.  

Cossell is dead on with what he said.   Almost across the board the offensive talent has been average to below average.   Outside of Josh, Diggs, Dawkins, Morse, and I'll include Knox here, everyone else has been average.  Saffold, Spencer Brown, and Davis have been grossly substandard when it comes to their performance when compared to their opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, njbuff said:

Gabe Davis being inconsistent has knocked this offense down a peg.

If he regains that consistency, the Bills O is back to elite status.

That’s a big one. The Gabe that we saw in the playoffs vs chiefs last year, vs colts the prior one…. Massive Difference maker. Just so damn inconsistent these days 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Casey D said:

My God this is a stupid thread.  Team is 2nd in points scored, PPG, yardage etc.  I guess if there is little talent on offense-- the "hot take"-- we have a team of wonderful overachievers.  Geez this gets old.

The point being made is they are 2nd because their QB is pretty much a superhuman.   

• Thank you (+1) 1

the real problem is we have 2 bonnafide scare you playmakers on O, allen and diggs.  we might have some decent guys elsewhere, but i think it's clear we need at least one more way to hurt teams, and speed is the biggest thing missing.  i really hope cook and hines can increase the RB position productivity, because unless we got OBJ i don't see where the speed and big play ability is gonna come from.

49 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

OL is the hardest position group to fill. You have to massively overpay in FA and they are hard to project coming out of college. Also, the best OTs (the ones that are so good that they project easily) tend to go in the first half of the first round. So, listening to Greg Cossell and the negative posters (and resident Dolphins' fan) here on TBD that are luxuriating in his podcast hot take, the best course of action is for the Bills to lose out so that they can finish 8-9 and get that pick. Someone call up WGR and suggest that. They'll love that take.

There are a lot more big name OL free agents that turn out to be terrible signings than ones that work out well.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.