Greg Cossell not pulling any punches on Bills: "This is not a super talented offense"

FilthyBeast

Just now, Beck Water said:

This.

To be fair, the first thing out of Beane's mouth after 2021 was "we need a closer on defense" "we didn't affect the QB enough" and he spent the Big Splash on Von Miller.

He did say that too, correct. But one of the first things was definitely "it starts with protecting Josh". I wouldn't swap Von for offensive line upgrades in fairness. If the price of Von was rolling with Bates, Brown and the geriatric, I'm all in. But I think he could have gone one contract lighter on the interior Dline and either got a better guard than Saffold with the extra or have upgraded Bates or had another right tackle option. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

He did say that too, correct. But one of the first things was definitely "it starts with protecting Josh". I wouldn't swap Von for offensive line upgrades in fairness. If the price of Von was rolling with Bates, Brown and the geriatric, I'm all in. But I think he could have gone one contract lighter on the interior Dline and either got a better guard than Saffold with the extra or have upgraded Bates or had another right tackle option. 

How about taking a guy like Dylan Parham in round 3 rather than an undersized defender like Bernard?

Edited by whorlnut

18 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

True, but when was the last time yoy heard Beane talk about alway adding to the offensive line?  I ask that because every year you hear him say about always adding the defensive line. It’s clear what his priority is. I’m hoping after this year he sees things a little differently. I am confident he will. 

My thoughts on this is fairly simple. We could score points, but we couldn't slow down the Chiefs. Need pressure from front 4. Problem I see with this is, we are overly focused on beating the Chiefs and may be losing focus on our own division. I am hopeful as well that offense is the main focus after this season. 

1 minute ago, FrenchConnection said:

OL is the hardest position group to fill. You have to massively overpay in FA and they are hard to project coming out of college. Also, the best OTs (the ones that are so good that they project easily) tend to go in the first half of the first round. So, listening to Greg Cossell and the negative posters (and resident Dolphins' fan) here on TBD that are luxuriating in his podcast hot take, the best course of action is for the Bills to lose out so that they can finish 8-9 and get that pick. Someone call up WGR and suggest that. They'll love that take.

Im not as down on the OL as some.  They’re ok.  Not many dominating OL’s around the league.  KC has invested heavy there, yet they don’t run the ball great either and Mahomes can be pressured. 

The neglect of the skill positions is notable.  It’s not some second guessing either .. many fans/media were begging the Bills to add another viable outside WR.   ..And that was even before we witnessed McKenzie and Davis, thus far, fail to step up in their new roles. 

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Again this isn't a hate on Brandon Beane. He is a very good GM. But I think he failed to live up to his own statement on the oline last year and I have been saying this since the spring. 

I have no way of knowing, but I think that McDermott has far more power than Beane, and makes the decisions to opt for corners over blockers and weapons for Josh.

Morse is very good but he isn't getting younger and has a pretty substantial history of injuries. Josh Allen is GREAT. He is (as we all know) the face of the franchise. We MUST protect him above all else. It is also quite obvious that we need help at wide receiver.  That said, would a first round safety surprise you?

Btw, @BADOLBILZhas been telling us the same things for months. This should have been clear to McDermott long ago.

Jmo.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I was looking forward to watching tonight's game but after browsing TBD? Gotta watch our talented QB Josh(now mr. int machine) Allen force passes to his only talented weapon Diggs. Gabe (only knows 3 routes and drops everything) Davis, Isaiah (mr gadget, trainwreck with ball in my hands) Mckenzie, and Dawson( paid too much average TE) Knox aren't gonna do s***. Running game? no chance without our only talented lineman Dawkins out, David (in over my head) Q at LT, Saffold Brown both suck I am told. Morse Bates ok I guess. Oh and Devin(too slow) Singletary and Nyheim (mr invisible doesn't know offense) Hines forget about it. Maybe we will use Cook more? wait not gonna happen, cause Dorsey s***** too. And then on Defense we in big trouble without Von( camera crew superstar and super bowl whisperer) Miller. Matt (suddenly can't tackle) Milano, Ed (one good game) Oliver, Tremaine(whipping boy) Edmunds, Dane(no ball skills) Jackson, and Tre (out of shape resting on my money pile) White. And all being led by Leslie( deer in headlights, unaggressive, girly name) Frazier.  And don't get me started on McBeane that's a whole other can of worms!!  😁 GO BILLS

• Sad 1
  • Haha (+1) 4

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

OL is the hardest position group to fill. You have to massively overpay in FA and they are hard to project coming out of college. Also, the best OTs (the ones that are so good that they project easily) tend to go in the first half of the first round. So, listening to Greg Cossell and the negative posters (and resident Dolphins' fan) here on TBD that are luxuriating in his podcast hot take, the best course of action is for the Bills to lose out so that they can finish 8-9 and get that pick. Someone call up WGR and suggest that. They'll love that take.

Agree absolutely with the bolded. But there were other alternative approaches in FA. 

Just now, LyndonvilleBill said:

My thoughts on this is fairly simple. We could score points, but we couldn't slow down the Chiefs. Need pressure from front 4. Problem I see with this is, we are overly focused on beating the Chiefs and may be losing focus on our own division. I am hopeful as well that offense is the main focus after this season. 

Good points. I also think the focus was too “chiefs centric” this past offseason. You could argue that it’s been the case the past two. Well…now our division foes are catching up with us from focusing on beating us twice a year. Meanwhile, we focused on a team that we may not even play if the playoffs don’t shake a certain way. 

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Our line is not a bad line. It's not full of pro bowlers, but what team is? When healthy, we have Dawkins and Brown at tackle. Dawkins is solid out there and Brown is a 2nd year player who has dealt with injury issues(back?). When healthy I think Brown is better at run blocking than pass pro, but can be upgraded. Not giving up on a 2nd year player like some on this board do, but and upgrade would be welcome. Bates and Staffold at guard, with Morse at center. I think the consensus on this board was we didn't want to lose Bates and we didn't. Morse isn't the strongest center out there, but he's also pretty good. To me, that's Morse, Bates and Dawkins playing solid with Staffold not stinking up the joint. to me, the weakest spot is Brown, but I'm not complaining. No team has it all and acting like we should is just ridiculous. This board is so sad at times. It's like y'all aren't enjoying the season. I am. Sucks for you.

Michael Caine Christmas GIF by Sky

When everyone is healthy, it's an okay line. Brown is having a subpar season and losing Doyle didn't help. Still think if you could plug in a really good LT and kick Dawkins to G the line would be much better. They also need to draft a young player to groom to replace Morse eventually.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Bill from NYC said:

I have no way of knowing, but I think that McDermott has far more power than Beane, and makes the decisions to opt for corners over blockers and weapons for Josh.

Morse is very good but he isn't getting younger and has a pretty substantial history of injuries. Josh Allen is GREAT. He is (as we all know) the face of the franchise. We MUST protect him above all else. It is also quite obvious that we need help at wide receiver.  That said, would a first round safety surprise you?

Btw, @BADOLBILZhas been telling us the same things for months. This should have been clear to McDermott long ago.

Jmo.

You might be right here Bill, (about McDermott and Beane) and if that's the case,  we've got problems. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FilthyBeast said:

Yeah but he had Belichik's defense. We have McD/Frazier and we all know how script plays out against good teams and QB's when it matters in the playoffs.

I just mentioned this in another thread about the Dolphins and their quick turnaround under McDaniel, but just think where this team could be next year if the Pegulas aren't afraid to make a bold move in terms of GM/HC change. The foundation is there with a franchise QB and you get a coach that runs a real defense and make some tweaks offensively and this team can truly ascend next year even in a monster that this division is becoming.

TL;DR

Get rid of McD AND Beane. 

Im not going to say that this is a really really stupid post because that would be against the board code of conduct. 

But if someone else said it was a really stupid post, I might agree with them. 

Davis hasn't progressed as much as we all (including Greg Cossell) projected. Crowder is a good slot receiver, but he is injured. So yeah, outside of Diggs we do just have a bunch of guys at receiver. But Knox is a good TE. Singletary is a decent back and Cook is progressing. The offense is not devoid of talent.

As for the oline, yeah, there are some issues. But it is a serviceable oline. The Bengals just went to the superbowl with a worse oline.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, billybob71 said:

I was looking forward to watching tonight's game but after browsing TBD? Gotta watch our talented QB Josh(now mr. int machine) Allen force passes to his only talented weapon Diggs. Gabe (only knows 3 routes and drops everything) Davis, Isaiah (mr gadget, trainwreck with ball in my hands) Mckenzie, and Dawson( paid too much average TE) Knox aren't gonna do s***. Running game? no chance without our only talented lineman Dawkins out, David (in over my head) Q at LT, Saffold Brown both suck I am told. Morse Bates ok I guess. Oh and Devin(too slow) Singletary and Nyheim (mr invisible doesn't know offense) Hines forget about it. Maybe we will use Cook more? wait not gonna happen, cause Dorsey s***** too. And then on Defense we in big trouble without Von( camera crew superstar and super bowl whisperer) Miller. Matt (suddenly can't tackle) Milano, Ed (one good game) Oliver, Tremaine(whipping boy) Edmunds, Dane(no ball skills) Jackson, and Tre (out of shape resting on my money pile) White. And all being led by Leslie( deer in headlights, unaggressive, girly name) Frazier.  And don't get me started on McBeane that's a whole other can of worms!!  😁 GO BILLS

Well stated, but Leslie is as described

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Im not as down on the OL as some.  They’re ok.  Not many dominating OL’s around the league.  KC has invested heavy there, yet they don’t run the ball great either and Mahomes can be pressured. 

The neglect of the skill positions is notable.  It’s not some second guessing either .. many fans/media were begging the Bills to add another viable outside WR.   ..And that was even before we witnessed McKenzie and Davis, thus far, fail to step up in their new roles. 

I had hopes for Davis and I still think he can be serviceable. I have my doubts that he will get a second contract here after we invested heavily in Allen, Diggs, and knox. I think we will draft someone to compete with Davis next year and slide into the number 2 role the following year. 

However…I never really thought for a second that McKenzie could fill beasleys shoes. Sure he he a few good moments, but he’s mainly a gadget guy. I had a strong feeling that decision was gonna bite us and it did. Then again, we brought in crowder who naturally got hurt. Either way, the slot position was arguably Allen’s biggest fallback the last few years and it was largely misjudged by Beane. 

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

Jmo.

McDermott has more power than Beane. I agree with that. That said they haven't over prioritised corner. If anything they had slightly under prioritised it in the draft after taking Tre to the point where they kinda forced themselves to take one early last April (I've proven this before with the numbers)... but they have definitely under prioritised receivers in the draft. Since Beane assumed control post the 2017 draft Gabe Davis in round 4 is their highest drafted receiver. I know they traded a #1 for Diggs but even so.... to have spent only one day 1 or 2 (that one they traded) pick in FIVE drafts on receivers as a GM in 2022 is a questionable strategy. 

To put that in context in the same period they have spent three day 1 or 2 picks on running backs and five on defensive linemen. 

2 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

When everyone is healthy, it's an okay line. Brown is having a subpar season and losing Doyle didn't help. Still think if you could plug in a really good LT and kick Dawkins to G the line would be much better. They also need to draft a young player to groom to replace Morse eventually.

My mocks have me taking a center in the 2nd and a G rounds 4 or 5. FA RT to compete. I want to give Brown another year. He's in his 2nd year and hopefully is fully healthy in the offseason.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.