Greg Cossell not pulling any punches on Bills: "This is not a super talented offense"

FilthyBeast

The game is won and lost in the trenches, this old adage is and always will be the truth in American football. 

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Cosell is not exactly accurate IMO. First, the O-line is serviceable for the type of offense we’re running. Quick release dump offs and underneath throws setting up draws and Josh’s incredible arm talent with downfield passing either in the pocket or when he’s flushed. His long runs are a product of the 5 wide spreads with running lanes open and that gets 1st downs and big gains. I truly believe Knox and Davis are quality weapons and Singletary and Cook have been good either with runs or underneath throws. The slot receiver position  has not been good  since Cole left, but McKenzie had a big game against Detroit and might be better going forward. Hines must be used more because he has tremendous upside. Bottom line, Josh makes everyone better and when plays his best this offense is as good as any. See Rams, Titans, KC, Pittsburgh games as evidence. Even Minn, excluding turnover, the offense was pretty impressive.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Tom Brady won Super Bowls with less talent on offense.

To take this to it’s logical conclusion, vis a vis all the posters complaining about close wins: 

Brady and co won a bunch of really close regular season games on the way to winning and losing a bunch of close super bowls.

I was high on Dorsey early in the season. Not so much now. Last year the receivers had much more room in the secondary. This year, it seems every pass is tightly contested.  To me that speaks to play design. Maybe 3 parts play design and 1 part play calling. In my opinion It's also bleeding in to Josh's play a bit. You can see it in his expressions at times. Mounting pressure on every individual play. 

• Like (+1) 2

Our line is not a bad line. It's not full of pro bowlers, but what team is? When healthy, we have Dawkins and Brown at tackle. Dawkins is solid out there and Brown is a 2nd year player who has dealt with injury issues(back?). When healthy I think Brown is better at run blocking than pass pro, but can be upgraded. Not giving up on a 2nd year player like some on this board do, but and upgrade would be welcome. Bates and Staffold at guard, with Morse at center. I think the consensus on this board was we didn't want to lose Bates and we didn't. Morse isn't the strongest center out there, but he's also pretty good. To me, that's Morse, Bates and Dawkins playing solid with Staffold not stinking up the joint. to me, the weakest spot is Brown, but I'm not complaining. No team has it all and acting like we should is just ridiculous. This board is so sad at times. It's like y'all aren't enjoying the season. I am. Sucks for you.

Michael Caine Christmas GIF by Sky

30 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I’m not sure what you are smoking, but you should probably either post on the board or smoke the good stuff, but not both at the same time.

What’s your excuse for your run on obsessive, I’m smarter, stomp on other threads?

Hint: It isn’t substance influenced.

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

The game is won and lost in the trenches, this old adage is and always will be the truth in American football. 

Go Bills!!!

True, but when was the last time yoy heard Beane talk about alway adding to the offensive line?  I ask that because every year you hear him say about always adding the defensive line. It’s clear what his priority is. I’m hoping after this year he sees things a little differently. I am confident he will. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I just mentioned this in another thread ....

This should be your first clue that you are again flirting with the crusading issue that we've previously discussed and that nobody in this community wants your repetitive negativity spread all over this forum

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Cosell is not exactly accurate IMO. 

Bottom line, Josh makes everyone better and when plays his best this offense is as good as any. 

These two statements contradict each other.  

We know that Allen, Diggs, Morse, and Dawkins are talented.  If they have off games,  it affects the entire offense.  But as a whole. The other players are completely average or below. 

If it takes Allen to make everyone better,  how talented are the players he's making better compared to how much attention is paid to Allen and Diggs that create the other players opportunities? 

I don't see Davis and McKenzie making catches in double or triple coverage.

It's all relative. 

3 minutes ago, iccrewman112 said:

he also never played for more than $17M a year with New England. His “peanuts salary” let them afford to keep Logan Mankus, and many other very good offensive lineman.

I think Brady and a lot of fans there hated it - but New England was smart to make the line the top priority (over getting top end WR talent).  When you have a great QB, protecting him & giving him time is paramount.  It makes all the difference. That's why Brady was able to succeed w/ mainly middlin' WR corps, outside of a few years where they had players like Moss.

Edited by Success

53 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Tom Brady won Super Bowls with less talent on offense.

I was going to mention this. you heard it all the time about how they lacked real talent at wr yet he would make them look like superstars. they still could use a better slot where beasely once filled that void. maybe when brown is ready he can fill it?

Who is responsible for this? I give credit to Beane and McD for the D. Even though you could argue it is flawed as well. 

The O has been a whiff outside of Allen being drafted and the trade for Diggs. But you could even argue Diggs could just as easily be Jefferson...

We want to give credit since the team has been winning. The question is without Allen what is this team? Does a GM/Coach deserve that much credit for getting the QB pick right? Without Allen the next 5 years what does this team look like? Is it any different really than the drought teams? 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Our line is not a bad line. It's not full of pro bowlers, but what team is? When healthy, we have Dawkins and Brown at tackle. Dawkins is solid out there and Brown is a 2nd year player who has dealt with injury issues(back?). When healthy I think Brown is better at run blocking than pass pro, but can be upgraded. Not giving up on a 2nd year player like some on this board do, but and upgrade would be welcome. Bates and Staffold at guard, with Morse at center. I think the consensus on this board was we didn't want to lose Bates and we didn't. Morse isn't the strongest center out there, but he's also pretty good. To me, that's Morse, Bates and Dawkins playing solid with Staffold not stinking up the joint. to me, the weakest spot is Brown, but I'm not complaining. No team has it all and acting like we should is just ridiculous. This board is so sad at times. It's like y'all aren't enjoying the season. I am. Sucks for you.

Michael Caine Christmas GIF by Sky

You can’t take these hypercritical sad sacks seriously. These are same humorless folks that ran Cole out of town and tried to do the same to Edmunds. When Josh had a hiccup for a couple of games, they turned on him. Obviously they liked it better when we were bottom feeder for the last 30 years.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.