Greg Cossell not pulling any punches on Bills: "This is not a super talented offense"

FilthyBeast

5 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

Interesting thoughts here on the Ross Tucker podcast from NFL insider Greg Cossell. Basically stating the obvious with JA17 being surrounded by a bad oline not much else outside of Diggs:

Tom Brady won Super Bowls with less talent on offense.

• Like (+1) 12
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Morse, Dawkins are good. OLine is not as bad as portrayed. Not a strength, but people pile on too much.

How many teams are stacked with only top talent? Ridiculous. 2nd scoring offense. Knox, Davis are better than average. Sure it's not Kelce or the Jefferson/Thiele duo but anyway

• Like (+1) 9

I know that it’s generally not in a teams best interest to pay attention to such things, but I wouldn’t hate this as inspirational bulletin board fodder. Dawson, Gabe, Motor, Cook, and McKenzie need to each step up their game. This is the same squad that was looking like an incredibly talented offense earlier this year, and in the playoffs and at the end of last year. There’s no reason that losing two players, both on the back end of their career, should make this a far less talented offense.

• Like (+1) 6

I don’t disagree, but I see the O line as the biggest issue, not necessary the skill positions. We could be better, but there isn’t a lot of depth in the modern NFL. Who are these teams with unequivocally more talent at skill positions. I ask as a serious thought to ponder. Maybe it’s just the phrasing that I struggle with. I think we have the talent, but not the consistency. Davis and Knox need to produce more consistently. Teams with lesser talent but more consistent WR2’s and TE’s do have an advantage. 

Edited by SirAndrew
  • Agree 1

Yup.  

For all the "armchair quarterback" commentary about fanbases, many in the Bills fanbase were correctly concerned about WR heading into the season.  

We were told we had "pass catchers" and not to view them as inside, outside receivers or running backs.  It sounded dumb them, and it's proven to be dumb now. 

Not saying Davis and McKenzie can't make a jump or that Dorsey won't figure out how to utilize Knox and Hines, but we're getting late into the season and so far Cosell is spot on.  The obsession to constantly load up on defense (sans Von Miller) has proven to be more than just a fanbase frustration.. It's been borderline malpractice in how to treat a franchise QB ala Rodgers in Green Bay. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The OL has been a problem for a while. I thought our WR corps would be better than they have shown. Diggs has been great, but the rest have been average at best. Either way Beane is going to have improve the OL this offseason and bring in another playmaker at WR to give Diggs some help. For this season the only option is to sign OBJ. Injuries have also been a factor but you can say that for every team in the league so that is no excuse. Just a reality that every team could face.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Just now, Greg S said:

The OL has been a problem for a while. I thought our WR corps would be better than they have shown. Diggs has been great, but the rest have been average at best. Either way Beane is going to have improve the OL this offseason and bring in another playmaker at WR to give Diggs some help. For this season the only option is to sign OBJ. Injuries have also been a factor but you can say that for every team in the league so that is no excuse. Just a reality that every team could face.

Injuries has been an issue for the defense.   On offense, Morse has missed a game and now Dawkins misses a game.   Other teams have lost OL starters for the season.  "Hope is not a strategy", so if Kumerow/Crowder injuries can tank the skill position group, then that's all you need to know about the dire straits we entered the season with at WR.

• Like (+1) 3

Agree. 

OL is weak and no slot.

The routes are poorly conceived with poor spacing.  Many times, I see two receivers very near each other thus bring a bunch of defenders into the area.  

The magic is mostly gone, and it is a tough grind.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

No he's not. But let's not just ignore all the defensive draft picks over the last few years that could've gone to players helping out our #1 asset.  No one to blame but McB. It was their call even when the knew the OL was weak.

I don’t believe they felt the OL would be weak. People are missing a very important part, this was talent evaluation. The Bills thought they had a good OL.

Dawkins and Morse are solid players.

They felt Bates and Brown would be very good starters for them. They thought Saffold was a good stopgap LG for a year.

This was by design. They could’ve done other things at both OG positions. They could’ve tried to upgrade OT and make Brown a swing depth OT. They wanted this OL.

If the offense continues down the path they’re heading it’s a Brandon Beane failure.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

5 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Tom Brady is the GOAT. Regularly turned average receivers into good ones.

They almost always had a great OL.

That is key to offensive consistency and a good QB looking great and a great QB looking GOAT.

https://www.nfl.com/news/longtime-pats-ol-coach-dante-scarnecchia-to-retire-0ap3000001099550

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Tom Brady won Super Bowls with less talent on offense.

Yeah but he had Belichik's defense. We have McD/Frazier and we all know how script plays out against good teams and QB's when it matters in the playoffs.

I just mentioned this in another thread about the Dolphins and their quick turnaround under McDaniel, but just think where this team could be next year if the Pegulas aren't afraid to make a bold move in terms of GM/HC change. The foundation is there with a franchise QB and you get a coach that runs a real defense and make some tweaks offensively and this team can truly ascend next year even in a monster that this division is becoming.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Cosell is right: the Bills offense, outside of Allen and Diggs, is nothing special. It depends too much on Allen being Superman every week.

The Bills offense is very productive, ranked 2nd in PPG.

The Bills are a very good team overall.

Dorsey needs to do a better job utilizing the weapons he DOES have, including the speed of Cook and Hines and the quickness of McKenzie.

All of these things are simultaneously true somehow. It's a confusing situation, with definite "chicken or the egg" facets to it.

Any way you slice it, it would be absolutely in the best interest of Josh Allen and the Bills as a whole if Beane spent the entire offseason building up Josh's protection and weaponry. Just pretend the defense doesn't exist this offseason. I don't even care. Weapons, protection. Weapons, protection. Wash, rinse, repeat.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 5

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t believe they felt the OL would be weak. People are missing a very important part, this was talent evaluation. The Bills thought they had a good OL.

Dawkins and Morse are solid players.

They felt Bates and Brown would be very good starters for them. They thought Saffold was a good stopgap LG for a year.

This was by design. They could’ve done other things at both OG positions. They could’ve tried to upgrade OT and make Brown a swing depth OT. They wanted this OL.

If the offense continues down the path they’re heading it’s a Brandon Beane failure.

I think this is offseason where Beane finally addresses the OL. Josh can't continue to be the team's leading rusher. They are also one of the worst teams in short yardage situations.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.