Would Cole Beasley come back to Buffalo?

Warriorspikes51

2 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s simply performance based. He was breaking down. Beasley fresh might be a good idea. 

I think it was more of that he was seen as a distraction. Yeah was dinged up last year. But he could've healed up in the off-season. 

23 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

You're getting into my territory of stretching and inferring things :thumbsup:

What, on the "team first" "correctspeak" stuff?  Listen to the interview.  What would you call that?

On the "wanted to get it on tape", yes.  Yes, I am, it's an inference.

But look, these days it's no secret the NFL rosters are made up of "stars and JAGs".  The stars have big cap hits to cut them and oodles of guaranteed money, they can buy a house and a couple of Porshes.  The JAGs are getting paid just over league minimum with little or no guaranteed money.   Some try to get month-to-month leases or live in hotels because they know the Turk could visit any day the team feels it has an opportunity to improve heir position.  They're realists, they gotta be.  Part of them genuinely loves the team and their teammates and wants to help it win, and part of them knows they could be on the street tomorrow.

McKenzie is one step up from a JAG - he got a small signing bonus and most of his salary this season is guaranteed, but it's nothing the Bills couldn't move on from if they in fact, make a play to sign OBJ or if John Brown still "has it" and the team decides he would contribute more than McK down the stretch or if Crowder comes back and the Bills decide that he serves them better or (subject of this thread) they decide they need Beasley.

In that situation, a WR who just put a 6 reception, 1 TD, 103 yd game on tape is in hella better shape than a WR who had 7 receptions on 9 targets for 57 yds in the last 4 games.

Edited by Beck Water

39 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

Surprised this is getting so much love.

As a player, he would help the team.

As a person, it would be a huge risk. He clearly has very strong views on a lot of things and there's a big risk that welcoming him back would divide the locker room.

I didn't like his opinionated takes on many subjects.  I thought his view on Covid was selfish and put the team at risk.  

But good teams are made of guys with differing views who choose to see past the differences and agree on one main thing: working together to win.  

If he can still contribute - don't know what kind of shape he's in - and the team captains want him back, I'm all in.  

2 minutes ago, May Day 10 said:

they have missed Beasley for sure.  

Beasley was always that guy that could get open when we needed the 1st.  Something some of our other receivers (Ahem...Davis) seem to have trouble doing consistently.  

I really thought Shakir would take over that Beasley role, but the coaches obviously don't think so at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, ßookie_tech said:

I think it was more of that he was seen as a distraction. Yeah was dinged up last year. But he could've healed up in the off-season. 

He wasn’t a distraction. Only distraction was for himself. He wasn’t playing well. He was beat up. Let’s not forget he played this year and didn’t do much. He basically quit on Tampa, even though I think they were going to cut him once WRs were healthy.

He’s old. It happens. 

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ha! Fair enough point, but Cole was the only one to get cut right after, so far.

To be fair to Cole, he wasn't cut.  He'd been elevated from the practice squad for two games as one of the two "free elevations", and reverted to the practice squad after each game.  Practice squad players are free agents.

But I do sense a little "salt" there.  Yes, I'm just inferring things, but take a gander at the Tampa Bay transactions page:

image.thumb.png.ec28b7a1705707f1f33401f2760a2599.png

No one else got their practice squad contract terminated twice 😄

Now Beasley did have his agent announce his retirement October 5th, so maybe it's something around that, but I chuckled when I read it. Like "she's not only merely dead, she's really quite sincerely dead".

Anyway, facts: In 2 games, Beasley had 4 receptions on 5 targets for 17 yds and 1 1D from the Bucs.  Now that's more than the Bills have been getting from Shakir, but....

38 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

https://www.buffalobills.com/video/isaiah-mckenzie-i-just-had-to-wait-my-turn-and-it-came

He says a lot of very team-first and "correctspeak" stuff about how important divisional games are.

He was asked "how badly did you need that game?" and he says "I've been wanting it for a while, I just had to wait my turn and it came, I took advantage of my opportunities when it came" "going into this game, it gives me some confidence, I just want to help the team win" - all very best-behaved teamspeak. 

But in between he says "I just wanted to put it on tape".  Who worries about "putting it on tape"?  Guys auditioning for a new team, that's who. 

IMO.

He cracks a genuine smile and seems genuinely thrilled to have John Brown back. 

I can't see any reason Isaiah wouldn't be back for the final year of his deal. It is cheap as chips money wise for a guy that has actually made plays at receiver in the NFL. I think he will be back at least for camp. He will have to compete again because I expect they will really want Shakir to take that job in year 2 and I expect them to look for another cheap vet in dust settles FA like they did Crowder this year. So sure, he could lose out on the shuffle and be a cutdown casualty, but I don't see any reason why they'd move on from him pre-camp. There are lots more overpaid guys on the roster if they need to be in fat trimming mode than Isaiah. 

• Like (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But he's not moving the chains anymore. That was the issue in Tampa.

I am too lazy to read your points but know theyre good. Can you tl,dr the summary of the general focus?

I tried to bring it all together as a string of thought but got distracted by the other chatter. 😬

JUST GO AWAY...

We are finally to a point where we don't have any distractions after the OBJ recruitment and then THIS????

Hell no... like I said, just go away...

14 minutes ago, Putin said:

Let’s keep the politics out of this 

It matters, like it or not... if there is no room for Kaepernick on a team, then there should be no room for Beasley on a team.

HE CAUSED THIS, not anyone else... he wants to tweet out crap and then wonder why everyone is on his case? DUH... don't tweet out crap, genius.

• Eyeroll 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

But we saw it here at the end of his time in Buffalo too. Tampa was just a continuation of his decline.

Look, I want the Bills to win a SB more than anything. Regardless of his off field garbage, if he could play, I'd welcome him back. Especially right now with all the injuries. But he's done.

Tampa is a completely different offense though and Brady is strictly a pocket passer.  Beas was the guy here who had the knack of getting open when Josh left the pocket...something our other receivers not named Diggs seem to have a problem doing on anywhere near a consistent basis.

Edited by Billz4ever

4 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Tampa is a completely different offense though and Brady is strictly a pocket passer.  Beas was the guy here who had the knack of getting open when Josh left the pocket...something our other receivers not named Diggs seem to have a problem doing on anywhere near a consistent basis.

Disagree. Bease's bread and butter was getting hit on quick slants or short verticals to make the quick catch and scoot for another few yards. This is exactly what Brady loves to do with his little WRs.

He wasnt going deep, and then coming back and improvising when Josh broke the pocket.

Bease was doing the same thing in Tampa, making the quick catch, but NOT getting the additional yards. He came up short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down multiple times, and was released.

3 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Disagree. Bease's bread and butter was getting hit on quick slants or short verticals to make the quick catch and scoot for another few yards. This is exactly what Brady loves to do with his little WRs.

He wasnt going deep, and then coming back and improvising when Josh broke the pocket.

Bease was doing the same thing in Tampa, making the quick catch, but NOT getting the additional yards. He came up short of the 1st down marker on 3rd down multiple times, and was released.

At least he's someone that understand zones and leverage.  McKenzie doesn't seem to have a clue.  James Cook almost caused an interception because he purposefully ran away from the open zone in coverage.  

Our slot/release valve situation for Allen is absolutely disgraceful thus far. 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Nothing that you say here is incorrect except for the fact that he wasn't released. The Bucs sent him back to the PS and he "retired." I was really surprised it didn't work out because Brady usually collects short white skill position guys like baseball cards. I mean after Amendola, Welker, Burkhead, and Edelman Beasley seemed like a slam dunk fit in Tompa Bay (I can't believe he actually trademarked that).

"He's old" "He divides the locker room" "He has controversial views"

Blablabla. As if the Bills GM, coaches and players wouldn't know, nor have him pass physicals, etc. They know, you speculate. Most of the hatred from fans come for his open views of last year, grow up. He might be indeed too banged up, slow and old now, or refreshed. He might not go for a low money offer. Who knows. But it is interesting to try out if he is serious. Not say yes, but try him out, 

Edited by Jerome007
  • Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, SCBills said:

At least he's someone that understand zones and leverage.  McKenzie doesn't seem to have a clue.  James Cook almost caused an interception because he purposefully ran away from the open zone in coverage.  

Our slot/release valve situation for Allen is absolutely disgraceful thus far. 

If you're waiting for Cook or McKenzie to have the "sit down in zone" instincts, you'll be waiting a very long time. We've missed that desperately this season. I'm sure Josh would agree. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1