Terrell Owens knocks out man at CVS; claims self-defense

chongli

49 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

I agree with you that there is much here we don't know.  High on that list is "The Right Thing To Do".  I don't know that answer and neither do you.  We can have opinion, but we can't just inject made up facts.  You have made mental health an issue in this story.  What is that based on?  It is not mentioned anywhere in the story that I can see.  Perhaps I missed it.  But sure, the man that was threatening others may have been mentally ill.  Also possible is that the parties that TO was protecting were mentally ill.  And yes, in a perfect world, everyone walks away and goes home for a nice night with the family.  I agree that would have been the idyllic scenario.  

And yes the man could have been seriously hurt by TO.  Maybe further violence escalates.  The opposite unknown is what happens if TO does not step in as he did, in a peacekeeping effort, trying to get everyone to just go on their way?  Should have he have just looked away and leave the other harassed party to be beaten into submission by the aggressor who was waiting outside the store to pursue just that?  What if that victim had been seriously injured or killed?  

All I am saying is to be careful with a rush to judgement about what actually occurred and who should have done what.  You initially characterized TO's actions as if he took exception to and picked a fight with the crazy homeless panhandler on the freeway exit ramp who spends his days yelling at people who drive away with closed windows and locked doors.  This is not that.  And that is all that I am pointing out.  This was a peacekeeping effort gone south.

We don't live in a perfect world populated by perfect people.  TO is far from perfect as he has demonstrated over and over in his life.  But I can't in good faith say that he did anything here that I have an issue with.  I wish that we lived in a world where he could have walked away knowing that everything would be cool in his wake.  I think he was very aware that was not the case and took steps to address that.  But again...  that is just my opinion.  I don't pretend to know "The Right Thing".  Even if it sounds like it 😄.  Cheers!  

You made my point for me. I was replying to people saying TO is some kind of hero. We don't know. I presented the counterpoint. You said we don't know if that's how it went down. Exactly, we don't know. We don't know who was a bully and who has mental issues. That's why the answer is who cares if someone says something mean to you. It has no bearing on your life so walk away. Either side probably had a dozen opportunities to get out of that situation. The result to me is sad, not something that should be praised

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

This time you are mischaracterizing your own words.  Let's look at your words and ask yourself if I am really making your point for you, or simply holding up a mirror that you may want to take a look at.  In the post I responded to you said:

"I don't punch homeless guys on the street when they yell nonsense at me. Clearly this guy had some mental problems. It was necessary to confront a much smaller crazy person and then punch him? And that makes him a hero? You guys have an interesting view on reality. "But he disrespected me." Oh no, how will you be able to go on living the rest of your life knowing a crazy insignificant person called you a name?" 

You have moved the goalpost my friend.  Your original words sound an awful like like you are equating TO's actions to yelling at random crazy homeless guy.  Your words sounds like someone that had decided that he knows exactly what happened.  You sound certain of the man's mental illness.  You expressed clarity in your belief that the man who was threatening others was just a "crazy insignificant person" that called TO a name.    And you assert in that original post that the only thing that should be of concern to TO is that a crazy person disrespected him.  He should, in your opinion have no issue moving on with his life with that knowledge.  Sorry, it was way more complex than that and your original words do not meet the litmus test of someone who believes "Exactly, we don't know".  

Sorry KDIGGS, you make a lot of great points and express a number of excellent insights on this sight.  This is not one those.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, cwater10 said:

This time you are mischaracterizing your own words.  Let's look at your words and ask yourself if I am really making your point for you, or simply holding up a mirror that you may want to take a look at.  In the post I responded to you said:

"I don't punch homeless guys on the street when they yell nonsense at me. Clearly this guy had some mental problems. It was necessary to confront a much smaller crazy person and then punch him? And that makes him a hero? You guys have an interesting view on reality. "But he disrespected me." Oh no, how will you be able to go on living the rest of your life knowing a crazy insignificant person called you a name?" 

You have moved the goalpost my friend.  Your original words sound an awful like like you are equating TO's actions to yelling at random crazy homeless guy.  Your words sounds like someone that had decided that he knows exactly what happened.  You sound certain of the man's mental illness.  You expressed clarity in your belief that the man who was threatening others was just a "crazy insignificant person" that called TO a name.    And you assert in that original post that the only thing that should be of concern to TO is that a crazy person disrespected him.  He should, in your opinion have no issue moving on with his life with that knowledge.  Sorry, it was way more complex than that and your original words do not meet the litmus test of someone who believes "Exactly, we don't know".  

Sorry KDIGGS, you make a lot of great points and express a number of excellent insights on this sight.  This is not one those.

The point is everyone involved could have just ignored the nutjob rather than combat him verbally or physically, so to praise TO like he saved the day is silly. He's lucky it ended there and didn't end up any worse than it was. Fighting in public with a stranger is not "cool" and doesn't make you tough. You don't know that person's story or what they are going through or if they want to take your life. There are usually other options.

1 hour ago, KDIGGZ said:

The point is everyone involved could have just ignored the nutjob

That's not a "point"; that's nothing more than your guess.

If a lady walked out of that store and the guy started slapping her around, she most certainly could not have "ignored" him.

You're accusing other people of making things up to paint the situation in their personal light, while you do exactly the same thing.

You know nothing about the guy, nothing about the people that were harassed, nothing about what was said or anything about anything else.

At the end of the day, nobody got hurt and everybody went home and there's a possibility that happened because of Terrell Owens.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Simon said:

That's not a "point"; that's nothing more than your guess.

If a lady walked out of that store and the guy started slapping her around, she most certainly could not have "ignored" him.

You're accusing other people of making things up to paint the situation in their personal light, while you do exactly the same thing.

You know nothing about the guy, nothing about the people that were harassed, nothing about what was said or anything about anything else.

At the end of the day, nobody got hurt and everybody went home and there's a possibility that happened because of Terrell Owens.

And you also know nothing of the situation. My response was to the people that said TO did the right thing. We don't know if he did the right thing and fighting someone is almost always the wrong thing unless there's no other option and your back is against the wall. In the video it clearly shows they are outside and could have just gone to their car but they continued arguing with this guy. For what? Who cares what he thinks? Just get in your car and leave, why even engage with him?

11 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

My response was to the people that said TO did the right thing. We don't know if he did the right thing

And my response was to you who said TO did the wrong thing. We don't know if he did the wrong thing.

12 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

In the video it clearly shows they are outside and could have just gone to their car

What if he said he was going to stab somebody when they came out of the store and they didn't want to go to their car until the guy was gone?

11 minutes ago, Simon said:

And my response was to you who said TO did the wrong thing. We don't know if he did the wrong thing.

What if he said he was going to stab somebody when they came out of the store and they didn't want to go to their car until the guy was gone?

Right. You are making the same points as me. I simply provided the counter point to everyone praising a situation that ended with a physical altercation. It's never good if it gets to that point and can almost always be avoided. Too many things can go wrong when you engage in a physical way and thankfully everyone was able to walk away from this and go on with the rest of their lives. It often happens where they do not. How much death and violence in this world could be avoided if people didn't let someone "disrespecting" them escalate further?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.