(As Requested) Bills at Patriots 1988

Buffalo03

When I first started doing this thread of posting old Bills games against our next opponents where we're playing them the coming week, I asked people if they had any requests and this was one that I got for Bills at Patriots week. I was only 2 years old in 1988 so I have no recollection of this game but hopefully other people do and would like to share some memories. As always. GO Bills

• Thank you (+1) 2

I was there but don’t remember it.

Interesting to see Kelly run a conservative dump offense most of the game.

Also, I think it was 91 but remember getting Ronnie Lippett so mad at us in pregame warmups we thought he was going to come into the stands😜.  The good old days.

I watched all of the games back then, as I do now, but I don't have any independent recollection of this particular game.  I like the way it ended up.  In watching the video, I noticed Doug Flutie in uniform on the Pats' sideline.  Just an interesting tidbit.

Funny game; the Pats pretty much dominated wire to wire, yet somehow managed to lose. Grogan outplayed Kelly by a wide margin. The Bills' best player that day was Ray Bentley on D, and maybe Robb Riddick on O, but overall the Bills' offense was horrendous. Thurman didn't do squat, Kelly himself may have had the longest run of the day, and Reed had maybe two catches. Bruce didn't even play. Norwood with the game-winner from 41. And that's my synopsis. 

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

When I first started doing this thread of posting old Bills games against our next opponents where we're playing them the coming week, I asked people if they had any requests and this was one that I got for Bills at Patriots week. I was only 2 years old in 1988 so I have no recollection of this game but hopefully other people do and would like to share some memories. As always. GO Bills

i can’t believe Irving Fryer returned that punt. They used to call him fair catch fryer 

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

So you pretty much missed the entire Super Bowl era!  What a shame.

I will watch that game later; I would have seen it for sure; it will be interesting to see if I remember anything! 

10 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Two years old in 1988? Yikes….I’m old! Looks like we’re going to catch you up on all that you missed. 😉 (forgive us if we skip over 1968, and a few others….they were terrible)

And no need to look at 1984 or 1985. Pretend that those years don’t exist.

1 hour ago, skibum said:

Funny game; the Pats pretty much dominated wire to wire, yet somehow managed to lose. Grogan outplayed Kelly by a wide margin. The Bills' best player that day was Ray Bentley on D, and maybe Robb Riddick on O, but overall the Bills' offense was horrendous. Thurman didn't do squat, Kelly himself may have had the longest run of the day, and Reed had maybe two catches. Bruce didn't even play. Norwood with the game-winner from 41. And that's my synopsis. 

I was surprised Andre Reed was so quiet.  But then I see that he broke his wrist the week before.  Can you imagine a Bills player in a week 3 game now playing with a fracture in their wrist.  He played with a fractured wrist in 1993 too. 

Thurman didnt have a big game, but it was only the 3rd game of his rookie year.  Was still backfield committe w Harmon and Riddick

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.