Rochester First: Eric Washington gives DL uncommon freedom

YoloinOhio

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/sports/buffalo-bills/washington-gives-bills-d-line-uncommon-freedom/

In their last two seasons away from the Bills (2020 and 2021), Jordan Phillips and Shaq Lawson totaled 10 sacks. 

In their last 27 games with the Bills (2019 and 11 games of 2022), Lawson and Phillips have 19 combined sacks. 

Why does it work so much better in Buffalo?

They let me be me,” Phillips says. 

That sounds pretty easy. Defensive line coach Eric Washington must have an all-time cushy job just letting all his guys do whatever they want. It, of course, is not that simple. 

The reasons begin with Buffalo’s one-gap defensive system. Defensive linemen in Buffalo aren’t responsible for occupying blockers and opening doors for linebackers as many teams require. They get to be the attack.

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

• YoloinOhio changed the title to Rochester First: Eric Washington gives DL uncommon freedom
8 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

When the talent is there, an old school sort of approach to coaching will work.

There is a lot of talent on the Bills ‘D’. Injuries are the biggest hindrance so far.

Getting Groot back will be huge. He may not have the numbers but his presence is felt as far as pressures and freeing guys up. Hope Von will be back by January. 

Mark my words- with the return of Edmunds on Thurs , this D is going to look dominant again

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

11 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:
3 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Getting Groot back will be huge. He may not have the numbers but his presence is felt as far as pressures and freeing guys up. Hope Von will be back by January. 

Mark my w

ords- with the return of Edmunds on Thurs , this D is going to look dominant again

The problem I see with DTs not occupying, it allows the Guards to get to the 2nd level, take out Tremaine, neutralize Milano and steamroll T.Johnson.

Stevenson is 227 lbs. and you can bet they are gonna be hellbent on doing that.

However, if they play 4-3, DTs attacking is ok...and rotating blitzing a LB will keep those guards from getting out there and allow for more quick stops, TFLs, pressures and sacks.

My 2 cents.

This is why I was tweeting at Jordan before he left that if he wanted long term success, he should recognize what made him successful and stay in Buffalo.  I can't blame him too much for chasing the paycheck, but his lack of success after he left was entirely predictable. 

• Agree 1

In previous time with Bills Jordan Phillips was known for being a maverick and getting sacks by not following game plan with others having need to cover for him.

This also resulted a number of plays where offense made play due to his playing style especially running plays where runner ran through hole he vacated.

I have not heard that about him this year.

9 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

Mark my words- with the return of Edmunds on Thurs , this D is going to look dominant again

Just seeing groot lined up opposite you as a quarterback is probably quite a nice start to rattling them to where they aren't making the best decisions on the field.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

This is why I was tweeting at Jordan before he left that if he wanted long term success, he should recognize what made him successful and stay in Buffalo.  I can't blame him too much for chasing the paycheck, but his lack of success after he left was entirely predictable. 

You could tell that he agreed with you as he was so excited whenever he got back sometimes these guys just gotta do the family thing first

1 hour ago, Limeaid said:

In previous time with Bills Jordan Phillips was known for being a maverick and getting sacks by not following game plan with others having need to cover for him.

This also resulted a number of plays where offense made play due to his playing style especially running plays where runner ran through hole he vacated.

I have not heard that about him this year.

It's happened in a couple of games.  When the run D faltered.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.