Chiefs Roster Moves

TFBillsfan

12 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Looking ahead to the stretch run this week alone, KC has added Melvin Gordon RB, Bryan Edwards WR and now Brandon Williams DT to their PS. At the trade deadline they added Kadarius Toney WR who just injured his hamstring.

We traded for Hines who is barely visible on offense and just signed John Brown to the PS. Any concerns that Beane isn’t being more aggressive or do you feel the KC signings will have no impact?

Right or wrong KC seems to be going all in to stack their roster.

There's no right time to stack your roster. Anytime is good. Von Miller was our main move, and he was a terrific one, far better than any made by the Chiefs.

We're fine.

The Chiefs have replaced the Patriots in the sense that every signing or trade that they make is perceived as a brilliant 4D chess move.  We need a jealousy thread because they signed a 29 year old running back with butterfingers who couldn't hack it on the league's most embarrassing team?

14 hours ago, eball said:

I’m ready to hand them the AFC Championship trophy.  Who’s with me?

Not me.  Our roster is better and deeper than last year.   We're one of the very few teams that can compete with the Chiefs and win as it is today.   It will come down with execution with this or any team.   

19 hours ago, TFBillsfan said:

Looking ahead to the stretch run this week alone, KC has added Melvin Gordon RB, Bryan Edwards WR and now Brandon Williams DT to their PS. At the trade deadline they added Kadarius Toney WR who just injured his hamstring.

We traded for Hines who is barely visible on offense and just signed John Brown to the PS. Any concerns that Beane isn’t being more aggressive or do you feel the KC signings will have no impact?

Right or wrong KC seems to be going all in to stack their roster.

Melvin Gordon is a 29 yr old back with a major fumbling problem this year (5 fumbles in limited snaps).  KC seems to love adding old RBs every season.

Bryan Edwards is a 2020 3rd round pick who washed out of Las Vegas and Nevada.  He has potential, and showed a little something last season with the Raiders, so it's a good question why they moved on from him.

These aren't bad PS adds, but I'm not sure why you see them as substantively different PS signings than Smoke Brown or CJ Brewer to the PS, or signing AJ Klein and Xavier Rhodes to our active roster, or trading for Nyheim Hines and Dean Marlowe?  Hines had an immediate impact as PR/KR. 

Brandon Williams is interesting.  He's a quality DL vet who the Ravens moved on from last season at age 33.  Adam Schefter (presumably from Williams agent) announced the signing a day ago, but it doesn't show up on the KC Transactions page as of yet.  I wonder if there's a hitch with his physical or something.

What exactly do you think Melvin Gordon or Bryan Edwards are going to do for KC in the way of immediate impact?

Edited by Beck Water

15 hours ago, What a Tuel said:

Why do I feel like if these signings were flipped, we'd be talking about how the Bills picked up a guy with a fumbling problem, a no name WR, and an injury prone WR, while the chiefs signed a starting CB in Xavier Rhodes, a great pass catching back and returner in Naheem Hines, and John Brown who did ok for the Bills back in the day and AJ Klein to bolster their defense?

Right on. 

And (keeping up the role flip) don't forget bolstering their beleaguered secondary by trading for Dean Marlowe, who knows the defensive system so well and can step right in.  Also be sure to mention that Xavier Rhodes is a 3x pro bowler and a 1st team all-pro.

18 hours ago, Adam727 said:

I'd hate to lose someone like Jordan Poyer or Jordan Phillips next year because we paid Melvon Gordon and Bryan Edwards this year.  

These are practice squad signings for KC.  Just like us signing John Brown to the PS, they barely flicker the cap-O-meter, because most teams keep the PS full and cut guys in order to sign different guys.

Edited by Beck Water

5 hours ago, Bandito said:

I agree

Hines has been a bust and Smoke is not very good anymore. Can't believe people on here thought Hines would supplant Singletary lol

Hines has been a bust...what the hell games are you watching? on special teams he has been freaking fantastic.

On 11/29/2022 at 7:25 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Looks to me like they are just vacuuming up anyone they can find in hopes that someone sticks. Not a bad strategy, but hardly stacking the roster. 

It’s like that old cliche in basketball, you miss 100% of the shots you don’t take! If they hit on one or two , maybe they make the team a littke better in November / december ?  They have a pretty good record in those months. Maybe their strategy has value?  I like Reid as a creative mind and his play design continues to evolve despite all his years coaching. Maybe we are being a little too conservative just so we don’t deserve chemistry. Michael Robinson suggested he didn’t think obj was necessary for that reason on the show sigh Chris Brown. I like listening to his breakdown of the Bills play weekly. Seems like a great guy!  

I would like to reiterate, these are simply moves to stash veteran depth IN CASE it's needed down the stretch.  KC has ZERO plans to activate and play any of these guys unless injuries occur.  I cant' speak for the Bills, but KC has a young roster and so having some VETs around on the practice squad is just prudent roster management.  KC had 10/11 active rookies on the roster play in the game this past sunday.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 11/29/2022 at 7:19 PM, Airseven said:

Chiefs have a young, stacked roster. They’re in the enviable position of adding vets to fill depth out of convenience. If a couple of them deliver a couple big plays down the stretch, the signing is a major success. If they wash out, well then the Chiefs are still the best.

Luckily for them, Pacheco was a home run pick. His combine was so fun and then I sort of forgot about him. Of course I was reminded when the Chiefs took him. Of course!

Why are you here?

11 hours ago, gordong said:

Hines has been a bust...what the hell games are you watching? on special teams he has been freaking fantastic.

Well, you know because Hines didn’t take over Singleterry spot completely leaving out the fact that both Singleterry and cook are starting to play better

but why throw logic into the equation whenever it’s so much easier just to piss all over the team

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.