Impending Bills Roster Shenanigans: You be the GM

Beck Water

13 hours ago, Logic said:

Unless they feel that Stevenson can materially help them in the passing game -- I, personally, happen not to feel that way -- I'd place him in IR for the rest of the season. The trusty ol' IR stash. Give him another shot in training camp next season.

- Cut Justin Murray, activate Ike Boettger to active roster.

Too early to say on Kumerow and Benford. Other injuries or roster changes may have occurred by the time those players are eligible.

Whichever of those players the Bills feel more urgency to bring back to the active roster, Cam Lewis would be next on the "cut" list. I think they could get him back through to the practice squad.

As far as Stevenson,  I expect him to be an x factor if healthy.  Been talking about him all off season pre injury. The fact they played him last year as a rook over Hodgins etc tells me the staff likes him and he was a speed demon in college. 

I know he had injury and fumble issues last year but that was as a rookie, coming off IR. If he can get the ball security down Pat, he'll be a nice addition to the WRs

11 hours ago, Beck Water said:

yeah, Smoke explained.  He’s been in touch with Chad Hall and sent him videos of himself working out.  The Bills called Smoke on Wednesday and brought him in for a workout on Saturday, along with JJ Nelson and Kawaan Baker.  

JJ Nelson was drafted a year later than Brown and played with Brown on the Cardinals.  He is another “I feel the need, the Need for Speed” guy (4.28 40 time).  Bills signed him to their PS briefly last January.

Kawaan Baker was drafted by NO this year and spent time on NO and Green Bay PS.  4.43 40 with a 39.5” vertical and 10’9” broad jump - fast, athletic guy.

The inference would be Brown still has some speed going on.

He was cut because he didn't have the speed going on

1 hour ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

Just cut Stevenson.  He is terrible and Hines is returning kicks. Boettger was never very good but maybe is an upgrade over VanRotten. I take Crowder back and let Kumetow walk. When Bemford can play I'd bring him back and cut Lewis or Marlowe to open a roster spot

I think Ike is a very similar level player to Bates. If he is your best backup you are comfortable with that. If he is your starter you are nervous. 

I would:

Cut Stevenson

Leave Crowder on IR

Promote Ike to the roster at the deadline for doing so (cut: Justin Murray)

Bring Benford back if healthy (cut: Xavier Rhodes)

Bring back Kumerow if healthy (cut: Cam Lewis)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Hard for fans to make any of these determinations without knowing the health and fitness of each individual player. Ike is good depth, so idealy you would get him back ASAP. Benford and Crowder as well, although we have no idea where Crowder is in his rehab. But I would have a lot more confidence in the offense if we got him back, especially for the playoffs.

I don't care about Stevenson. He hasn't done anything.

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I think Ike is a very similar level player to Bates. If he is your best backup you are comfortable with that. If he is your starter you are nervous. 

I would:

Cut Stevenson

Leave Crowder on IR

I'd take Crowder over Kumerow.  And I'd cut Lewis instead of Rhodes. I can live with Ike on the roster.  He has starter experience and I thought he was decent in the run game that will be more important as the weather gets worse. 

8 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

I'd take Crowder over Kumerow.  And I'd cut Lewis instead of Rhodes. I can live with Ike on the roster.  He has starter experience and I thought he was decent in the run game that will be more important as the weather gets worse. 

I don't think Crowder moves the dial over Isaiah and I'm not sure he is going to come back healthy. I'd rather leave Shakir as the backup slot. I'd bring Kumerow back because I am more worried about outside depth and at the moment? He is all we have. Ideally we'd have someone better. 

Rhodes is washed. 

I would:

Cut Stevenson

Leave Crowder on IR

I think Crowder is needed at WR.  We haven't been getting consistent production from the slot position and I think Crowder really helps that.  He still looks like he's got some left in the tank.

2 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I think Crowder is needed at WR.  We haven't been getting consistent production from the slot position and I think Crowder really helps that.  He still looks like he's got some left in the tank.

Meh. If he is absolutely 100%, sure, bring him back. But I am not rushing Crowder back at 80% healthy. He isn't a move the dial player. 

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What I’d like to know is how Von is sure OBJ isn’t leaving the facility without signing a contract. 1$ salary & $300M straight out of Terry’s wallet??

Has he said this again recently?

37 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I agree with you where a healthy Crowder is concerned.

One of our local press guys did a piece on players coming back from broken lower leg injuries.  Of course, the description "broken leg" encompasses a lot of injuries, but the assessment (based on what was thought to be injured because of the video) seemed to be that if Crowder did come back for the very end of the season/playoffs he would very likely not be the same guy.

I don't see Crowder as one of those guys where him at 80% is better than the alternative.  I agree that we haven't been getting consistent production across the middle of the field, but I think a better solution would be to start using Knox or Hines more in those roles.

PS I mention Hines because the Bills FO fixation on acquiring a pass-catching RB seems to argue that was their plan all along, but Cook has not developed as quickly as they hoped and still has Some Development Needed

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

I would:

Cut Stevenson

Leave Crowder on IR

Also good analysis.

I don't see a drive to cut Stevenson.  He's not taking up a roster spot, and if he's not healthy enough to bring back to the roster he would argue for an injury settlement, so there's likely no cap savings.  Put him on season ending IR.

My concern about bringing back Ike would be if he's "next man up" ready at the deadline, and not "Tre White" ready where you have to give him a roster spot AND keep enough guys who can play instead of him active.  I think the timing of the Tre thing may have cost us a chance to keep Hodgins, who I think could have potentially helped us the last couple games vs. Gentry.

If he's "next man up" ready as a backup, it's a no brainer.

Have you seen anything of the ST sans Kumerow?  I tried to look at our averages with and without him.  Early in the season, there didn't seem to be much difference when he was out for games 4,5, and 6.  The latter part of the Vikes game (after he went out) and the last couple games have been worse, but for the Browns and Lions that could easily be lack of practice - I'm sure when practice is minimal, offense and defense are the focus, especially with so many missing players.

Boettger for sure.  

I think Beasley’s 2021 was nowhere as bad as people have stated. About 80% of hate was covid vac & comments related.

He had bad ribs for a number of games yet played through it and ended up tying his best annual # for receptions (82 - 2nd on the team) and had his 5th best mark for yards (696) which was also second on the team.  He looked to try to go down quick to save his ribs, which did hurt his YAC.  McKenzie isn’t close to his level.

I’d ask him:

— u interested?

— send some tape

He could run his routes blindfolded & backwards and still be more productive than Stevenson.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, hemma said:

Boettger for sure.  

I think Beasley’s 2021 was nowhere as bad as people have stated. About 80% of hate was covid vac & comments related.

He had bad ribs for a number of games yet played through it and ended up tying his best annual # for receptions (82 - 2nd on the team) and had his 5th best mark for yards (696) which was also second on the team.  He looked to try to go down quick to save his ribs, which did hurt his YAC.  McKenzie isn’t close to his level.

I’d ask him:

— u interested?

— send some tape

He could run his routes blindfolded & backwards and still be more productive than Stevenson.

I think there's been some measured and fact-based commentary on Beasley falling off in 2021 that has nothing to do with "The Panini" as Reddit calls it.

For sure Beasley was a warrior playing through a rib injury.  On the other hand, it always has to be asked, when a player is playing through injury, "are you, at whatever % you're at, better than the Next Guy Up?"  I'm not sure the answer was always "yes" for Beas.

It was notable that Beasley was not running his routes as deep as he had in previous years - all season, not just after the rib-shot.  His YPC, YBC, and YAC all say this.  When he went out and McKenzie came in for some routes, the difference in speed was eye-popping, so I think part of the problem was that Beasley simply couldn't run his routes fast enough to get as deep as previous years any more.

The shallower routes being run also to some extent resulted from how teams were covering the Bills, but I don't think that's all of it.

To sum: you are correct that his #catches was the same, but his YPC and his 1st downs fell off markedly.

He was also less consistent - he had 5 games where he had 1 or 2 catches, and 6 games where he had less than 25 receiving yards.

Stevenson should not be in consideration as a slot WR.  He is a speed guy only.  Unless something has changed markedly, he can't block, he can't follow blocks, he can't release against press coverage, and he doesn't have a great route vocabulary.

Edited by Beck Water

Spector and Lewis are the ones most likely to move off the roster for me.  Adding Klein pushes Spector into 7th on depth chart.  Lewis is behind rhodes elam jackson and white, and now behind marlowe at S as well.  I see both going to PS for Stevenson/Boettger.  After that:

Kumerow comes back - Murray comes off for oline assuming you're comfortable with boettger.  

Benford probably just stays on IR unless a DB gets hurt.  You have white, elam, rhodes, Jackson.  He won't play so I'd keep him on IR unless someone gets hurt.  

Wildcard is john brown.  If he can make an impact from the practice squad call-ups i could see them bringing him to active roster like rhodes.  Likely also injury insurance though for someone going out.  

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Also good analysis.

I don't see a drive to cut Stevenson.  He's not taking up a roster spot, and if he's not healthy enough to bring back to the roster he would argue for an injury settlement, so there's likely no cap savings.  Put him on season ending IR.

My concern about bringing back Ike would be if he's "next man up" ready at the deadline, and not "Tre White" ready where you have to give him a roster spot AND keep enough guys who can play instead of him active.  I think the timing of the Tre thing may have cost us a chance to keep Hodgins, who I think could have potentially helped us the last couple games vs. Gentry.

If he's "next man up" ready as a backup, it's a no brainer.

Have you seen anything of the ST sans Kumerow?  I tried to look at our averages with and without him.  Early in the season, there didn't seem to be much difference when he was out for games 4,5, and 6.  The latter part of the Vikes game (after he went out) and the last couple games have been worse, but for the Browns and Lions that could easily be lack of practice - I'm sure when practice is minimal, offense and defense are the focus, especially with so many missing players.

I haven't watched an all-22 for a month since taking this new job, I'm flat out. I think my general TBD posting numbers are down too! Haha. So not had chance to really look at the impact on ST of losing Jake. I think Ike is worth taking the risk on even if he isn't quite ready to go straight in. If Saffold or Bates or Morse went down in the playoffs give me Ike over the other options in a heartbeat. You are right on Stevenson. No sense cutting him. Season ending IR is fine. I suppose I am sceptical of his chances of ever making a proper impact here but he is a cheap camp body for the 90 I suppose. 

2 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

To sum: you are correct that his #catches was the same, but his YPC and his 1st downs fell off markedly.

He was also less consistent - he had 5 games where he had 1 or 2 catches, and 6 games where he had less than 25 receiving yards

Not counting the playoff game vs KC, he also had 5 games of over 60 yards.  Maybe McKenzie suddenly goes wild, but he’s currently at 2.  Yes, his first downs dropped off to 34, but that was also 2nd on the team.  Also, McKenzie has already filled up his allocation of six sub-25 games and he has time to hit double digits games on that ugly stat.

For all I know, Beane already gave it a shot and was rejected or vice versa by Pegulas/Beane/McD and wishful thinking on my part.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.