Impending Bills Roster Shenanigans: You be the GM

Beck Water

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Are cocktail parties still a thing?  I had no idea

No idea what Beasley is thinking either, of course.  Nate Geary claimed a source in the Bills FO  who said any initiative would 100% have to come from Beasley and he didn’t see that happening.  

Any idea how Smoke came back?  Did Smoke contact the Bills?  When Smoke left there seemed to be some frustration.  From the looks of the press conference that looks to be old news, filed under the business side of the sport.

11 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Any idea how Smoke came back?  Did Smoke contact the Bills?  When Smoke left there seemed to be some frustration.  From the looks of the press conference that looks to be old news, filed under the business side of the sport.

Brown sent videos of him working out to Chad Hall WR coach.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

I read somewhere that he had maintained contact with Chad Hall and sent him some workout videos. So yes, Smoke initiated the process through Hall.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Adam727 said:

Cut Justin Murray for Ike, put Stevenson on season ending IR.  Wait and see on Benford and Kumerow.  

Ike for Murray seems reasonable if Ike is truly ready to rumble.  If he needs more than 3 weeks of ramp-up to play in Kromer’s scheme, could leave us short-handed

I was actually surprised they opened a 21 day window for Stevenson to come back, I kind of thought they would just leave him stashed, so that leads me to believe they must really feel he can contribute.  Either that, or they want a fast guy, and they’re putting Brown and Stevenson into the mix to see who seems most able to help.

13 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

yeah, Smoke explained.  He’s been in touch with Chad Hall and sent him videos of himself working out.  The Bills called Smoke on Wednesday and brought him in for a workout on Saturday, along with JJ Nelson and Kawaan Baker.  

JJ Nelson was drafted a year later than Brown and played with Brown on the Cardinals.  He is another “I feel the need, the Need for Speed” guy (4.28 40 time).  Bills signed him to their PS briefly last January.

Kawaan Baker was drafted by NO this year and spent time on NO and Green Bay PS.  4.43 40 with a 39.5” vertical and 10’9” broad jump - fast, athletic guy.

The inference would be Brown still has some speed going on.

• Like (+1) 3

22 minutes ago, Einstein's Dog said:

Smoke has said he has kept in touch with WR coach Chad Hall, a young coach but seems to be a very good teacher.

• Like (+1) 1

I like it. 

OL: Activate Ike when ready, release Murray. Try and sign him to the PS if available. 

S: If Micah comes back, Marlowe is released.

CB: I’m likely letting Benford ride out IR for the duration of the year. With a healthy Elam, White, Jackson and Rhodes, I don’t need a need to move him onto the active roster and risk having to release a guy down the line. Keeping him on IR allows flexibility for him to return IF we experience injury at the position.

WR: If Crowder is available, I activate him immediately. He is my priority #1 at WR. I release Tommy Sweeney in a corresponding move.

Kumerow can wait in the fold until he is needed (if at all) since the next logical release is Baylor Spector and I don’t like the idea of opening him to waivers right now. With Smoke on the PS, he has three opportunities left to be promoted so no need to sign him to the active roster until all of his 3 games are used. I likely utilize a Smoke promotion all 3 times before activating Kumerow

Stevenson can carry out the year on IR. I don’t know that at this point his addition to the roster would move the needle in any measurable way due Hines taking over return duties.

Edited by EmotionallyUnstable

3 hours ago, Bills!Win! said:

Theres so much depth on this roster. Even though we would be 10-1 if we were healthy, people don’t give our backups enough credit 

The current regime's approach, and apparent success in player development, seems far more noticeable than any prior Bills regime I can remember.

Of course, every team is or should constantly be looking to upgrade at all levels of their roster, and then develop those players.

While players are here, the Bills treat them with respect, and help them towards their goals. Just like families do everywhere.

So much so, many players who leave, like coming back if given the option.

It just seems to me that the Bills organisation is doing a better job of that than most other teams.

2 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I like it. 

OL: Activate Ike when ready, release Murray. Try and sign him to the PS if available. 

S: If Micah comes back, Marlowe is released.

CB: I’m likely letting Benford ride out IR for the duration of the year. With a healthy Elam, White, Jackson and Rhodes, I don’t need a need to move him onto the active roster and risk having to release a guy down the line. Keeping him on IR allows flexibility for him to return IF we experience injury at the position.

WR: If Crowder is available, I activate him immediately. He is my priority #1 at WR. I release Tommy Sweeney in a corresponding move.

Kumerow can wait in the fold until he is needed (if at all) since the next logical release is Baylor Spector and I don’t like the idea of opening him to waivers right now. With Smoke on the PS, he has three opportunities left to be promoted so no need to sign him to the active roster until all of his 3 games are used. I likely utilize a Smoke promotion all 3 times before activating Kumerow

Stevenson can carry out the year on IR. I don’t know that at this point his addition to the roster would move the needle in any measurable way due Hines taking over return duties.

I think that’s a reasonable plan.

I’m not sure I’d rather have Rhodes than Benford - have we seen enough from Rhodes to know if he’s still got it?  But we have several games where he’ll probably get some snaps, to make that e v a l.

Where Kumerow was being heavily used, remember, was on ST.  I don’t have a good sense of how much we’re missing him.  I do know we’ve had a couple of uncharacteristically good returns against us.  I also know I saw McKenzie streaking downfield on one ST kickoff or punt which was like “you’re kidding me!” short handed as we were at receiver.  

We need Crowder, but color me skeptical he can be close to the same guy this season.    Also skeptical at the reports Micah might return.

The mental puzzle to me is why the Bills designated Stevenson for return and need to make up their mind by December 7th.  If they intend to keep him on IR all year, why even do that?

Edited by Beck Water

7 hours ago, Beck Water said:

I was actually surprised they opened a 21 day window for Stevenson to come back, I kind of thought they would just leave him stashed, so that leads me to believe they must really feel he can contribute.  Either that, or they want a fast guy, and they’re putting Brown and Stevenson into the mix to see who seems most able to help.

Pure speculation on my part, I have no insider GM info like some of you, but here's what I think happened:

With WR needs growing, they opened the window on Stevenson. But, they were not impressed or maybe he is not where they thought he was? Thus, they go find John Brown shoveling snow somewhere and take a flier on him. And like you said, between the two of them, let the better player win (with Crowder potentially a part of the mix as well).

There certainly is a need for another fast guy catching the ball. . . . Just speculation.

Edited by CSBill

10 hours ago, Einstein's Dog said:

If I were GM I'd be strongly considering bringing back Beas for the stretch run.   Seems like Beas at this point would come back cheap and healthy.  Beas knows the playbook.  With Crowder injured we're now thin at the slot.

Beas has retired. And it is because he is done. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.