Impending Bills Roster Shenanigans: You be the GM

Beck Water

3 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

He was cut because he didn't have the speed going on

Didn't look that way to me. He [Smoke] couldn't stay healthy. And he was paid a lot for a guy who was unavailable as much as he was.

He was actually pretty productive that year when on the field. 458 yards on 453 snaps.

14 hours ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

I like it. 

OL: Activate Ike when ready, release Murray. Try and sign him to the PS if available. 

S: If Micah comes back, Marlowe is released.

CB: I’m likely letting Benford ride out IR for the duration of the year. With a healthy Elam, White, Jackson and Rhodes, I don’t need a need to move him onto the active roster and risk having to release a guy down the line. Keeping him on IR allows flexibility for him to return IF we experience injury at the position.

WR: If Crowder is available, I activate him immediately. He is my priority #1 at WR. I release Tommy Sweeney in a corresponding move.

Kumerow can wait in the fold until he is needed (if at all) since the next logical release is Baylor Spector and I don’t like the idea of opening him to waivers right now. With Smoke on the PS, he has three opportunities left to be promoted so no need to sign him to the active roster until all of his 3 games are used. I likely utilize a Smoke promotion all 3 times before activating Kumerow

Stevenson can carry out the year on IR. I don’t know that at this point his addition to the roster would move the needle in any measurable way due Hines taking over return duties.

I would not release Spector.  The guy looked like he could play in the preseason.  Reminded me some of a modern day Zach Thomas.  If Benford gets healthy.  And Tre is a full go.  I would bring back Benford and cut Jackson.  His game is trash.  Definite liability come crunch time.  Mahomes Tua Burrow, etc will light him up.  Rotate Elam White Rhodes and Benford.  That is 4 solid boundary corners.  And if Rhodes shows he has something left in the tank, extend him for next season also.  Nothing wrong having a lot of vets on your team that contribute.  Look at the Eagles.  

I like bringing back Crowder.  He still is a good player in the slot.  Sweeney is not necessary w Knox Morris and Gilliam.  And I agree about bringing back John Brown over Kumerow.  Didn't we keep Kumerow over Hudgins on the active roster?  And Hudgins was poached by the Giants.  Bad move there!!

And if Ike is healthy get him on the roster.  He may be the best Guard we have.  

19 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Didn't look that way to me. He [Smoke] couldn't stay healthy. And he was paid a lot for a guy who was unavailable as much as he was.

He was actually pretty productive that year when on the field. 458 yards on 453 snaps.

He's played 14 games for 5 different teams in the past 3 years.  It's not that he can't stay healthy--he can't stay on a roster.  On his last 3 teams--3 targets for an entire season.  None of those 3 teams had any use for him.  Even in 2019, his YBC and average depth of target plummeted.  He wasn't beating anyone. 

He's been on the field for 19 snaps since 2020--not because of injury. 

Edited by Mr. WEO
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What I’d like to know is how Von is sure OBJ isn’t leaving the facility without signing a contract. 1$ salary & $300M straight out of Terry’s wallet??

Maybe Von offered a pay cut of his own salary since his goal is to be first player with rings from 3 different teams.

1 hour ago, hemma said:

Not counting the playoff game vs KC, he also had 5 games of over 60 yards.  Maybe McKenzie suddenly goes wild, but he’s currently at 2.  Yes, his first downs dropped off to 34, but that was also 2nd on the team.  Also, McKenzie has already filled up his allocation of six sub-25 games and he has time to hit double digits games on that ugly stat.

For all I know, Beane already gave it a shot and was rejected or vice versa by Pegulas/Beane/McD and wishful thinking on my part.

I was addressing your point that Beasley's production hadn't really fallen off last year (relative to Beasley of previous years) and any fan perceptions were all "Panini inflluenced" so to speak.  My point was that Beasley of 2021 had fallen off relative to Beasley of 2020 or 2019, by several important objective metrics.  Maybe they were coverage-influenced but I thought they were related to a speed and agility fall-off based on age.   There's also the argument that we're looking for consistency, and the fact is Beasley was inconsistent from game to game last season, possibly based upon injuries, but prior to the rib shot he was known to take.

Beasley unquestionably still has it from the neck up in his ability to dissect zone coverage, in a way no one currently active on the team seems to possess.

I'm not sure it's relevant to compare any numbers from this year to last year.  Cover1 made the point that the terminology may be the same, but actually only about 20-30% of the offensive play design seems to have carried over from last year, and that on many plays, there seem to be deep options, check down options, and nothing in between.  It's a fact that McKenzie hasn't been as productive from the slot as all of us would like to see, but it's unclear to me whether that's on McKenzie, on Josh (where McKenzie is the check-down and Josh hates the checkdown and won't take it), or on the play design.  My hunch is "some of all three".

Again, Nate Geary stated that he had heard from a contact he trusts in the Bills FO that any contact with Beasley would have to be initiated from Cole's side.  The implication was that, despite public civility from Beane and McDermott, there was some significant bridge-burning that took place behind the scenes on Beasley's side.

24 minutes ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I would not release Spector.  The guy looked like he could play in the preseason.  Reminded me some of a modern day Zach Thomas.

My initial feeling was that Spector would be a guy it would be relatively low-risk to slide thru waivers and onto the practice squad.  But you could have a valid point here.  Obviously the Bills aren't going to give up on Terrel Bernard as a 3rd round pick, but Dodson did NOT look like an adequate backup when he played for Edmunds vs Cleveland, plus, he's an RFA next season.  It may be time to restock at backup LB.

I look at Spector's draft profile and say "nah" but then I go back and look at Matt Milano's draft profile and say "hmmmmm....."

If Benford gets healthy.  And Tre is a full go.  I would bring back Benford and cut Jackson.  His game is trash. 

Your take on Jackson, on the other hand, is a Bad Take.  Jackson has struggled because his strength is off-ball and the Bills have been playing Man.  He's an excellent off-ball corner whose play helped us win 5 straight games at the end of last season/playoffs and helped us win in the 8 we have this season.  Has he been toasted a couple times, sure, and by some excellent, almost uncoverable WR too, playing man behind an injury-depleted DL that was failing to sufficiently "affect the QB".

He's not trash, and you're going to discover if you don't already know that Rhodes and Benford have similar (or more severe) limitations as man corners.

Didn't we keep Kumerow over Hudgins on the active roster?  And Hudgins was poached by the Giants.  Bad move there!!

It was an ST based move to keep Kumerow over Hodgins.  Whether it's cost us or not, I haven't seen the ST play without Kumerow in enough depth to know.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

I mean, it’s kind of both.  He had a high ankle sprain and at least one other injury, and when he returned his afterburners were notably missing.

I think the injuries lingered and that’s why he couldn’t stick with other teams last season.  

Seems like guys who have had high ankles have said it takes time for them to “get right” completely

• Agree 1

19 hours ago, DCbillsfan said:

If no one else gets hurt.  Activate Boettger and cut Murray.  Activate Benford and cut Cam Lewis.  

I would not cut Cam Lewis.  I would cut Tommy Sweeney.  I think he could go to the PS and if he doesn't no big deal.  Cam Lewis will need to play reps at some point this season and playoffs.

1 hour ago, Manther said:

I would not cut Cam Lewis.  I would cut Tommy Sweeney.  I think he could go to the PS and if he doesn't no big deal.  Cam Lewis will need to play reps at some point this season and playoffs.

So, are you shutting down Benford for the season?  If not, who are you cutting to make room for Benford?

Nvm you're cutting Sweeney but the Bills won't do that imo.

Edited by DCbillsfan

Activate Stevenson next week and put whoever gets hurt bad this week on IR

The week after put Stevenson back on IR after he gets another foot injury and activate TD Jesus

When Boettger is available, activate him and cut Justin Murray

Day after Christmas activate Benford and place another injured player on IR

On 11/29/2022 at 3:06 PM, LABILLBACKER said:

I don't really care what happens to Crowder, Kumerow or Stevenson. Let Brown be your 5th WR.  I think we'll need Boettger as OL insurance. And DB's always get hurt this time of year so keep Benford available when healthy. 

Stevenson is a JAG, Kumerow is a good ST ace, him coming back for the playoffs would be a positive but only for the ST corps. Benford would be nice to have as depth in the secondary while Boettger is a nice player to add as depth and kick the tires on so to speak at a thin position corps. 

The two players that could return from IR that would make a big difference in my opinion would be Hyde (for very obvious reasons) and Crowder. Crowder would have a lesser impact of course but I think Crowder is a true slot WR that this team is missing. Crowder is a more shifty slot WR that I think this team is missing. I don't think Crowder would be the missing link on the offense so to speak but I think he could be a solid positive contributor. 

On 11/30/2022 at 12:56 PM, Beck Water said:

My initial feeling was that Spector would be a guy it would be relatively low-risk to slide thru waivers and onto the practice squad.  But you could have a valid point here.  Obviously the Bills aren't going to give up on Terrel Bernard as a 3rd round pick, but Dodson did NOT look like an adequate backup when he played for Edmunds vs Cleveland, plus, he's an RFA next season.  It may be time to restock at backup LB.

I look at Spector's draft profile and say "nah" but then I go back and look at Matt Milano's draft profile and say "hmmmmm....."

Your take on Jackson, on the other hand, is a Bad Take.  Jackson has struggled because his strength is off-ball and the Bills have been playing Man.  He's an excellent off-ball corner whose play helped us win 5 straight games at the end of last season/playoffs and helped us win in the 8 we have this season.  Has he been toasted a couple times, sure, and by some excellent, almost uncoverable WR too, playing man behind an injury-depleted DL that was failing to sufficiently "affect the QB".

He's not trash, and you're going to discover if you don't already know that Rhodes and Benford have similar (or more severe) limitations as man corners.

It was an ST based move to keep Kumerow over Hodgins.  Whether it's cost us or not, I haven't seen the ST play without Kumerow in enough depth to know.

I wasn't overly impressed by Rhodes play.  He is a veteran who looks slow at this point in his career.  Hopefully he can hold up when called upon.  I like Benford's game better then Jacksons.  He is bigger and just looks to have better technique.  I would think any starting CB in the NFL has some ability to play man to man.  Not dominate, but at least give WR's something to think about.  Jackson has literally looked "Lost in Space".

Speaking of corners.  It was interesting watching Stephon Gilmore last nite for Indy.  He looks like he still has some game left.  Too bad Matt Ryan is their starting QB.  Hopefully for Colts fans, that is the last anyone sees of Ryan.  He was bad with the Falcons last year.  And is worse with the Colts this year.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.