Elam > Booth

billvernsays

"NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that Vikings CB Andrew Booth (knee) will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery. 

Booth's rookie season was one to forget, as he dealt with multiple injuries and played behind lower-drafted rookie corner Akaylab Evans. Booth had a 41.7 PFF coverage grade in 61 coverage snaps against the Bills and Cowboys. Those aren't exactly easy offenses to play against as a rookie getting a first taste of NFL action, but it wasn't an inspiring performance. He'll likely be placed on IR in the near future, and the Vikings will hope for a rebound in year two."

I didn't at the time but now I see that Elam was the better pick, we have been trying to get him used to playing outside his comfort "zone" in the early part of the year and he's been getting better and better. Now in the playoffs we'll be able to be run multiple coverages with his skill set along with Tre back in the fold 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billvernsays said:

"NFL Network's Tom Pelissero reports that Vikings CB Andrew Booth (knee) will miss the remainder of the season after undergoing surgery. 

Booth's rookie season was one to forget, as he dealt with multiple injuries and played behind lower-drafted rookie corner Akaylab Evans. Booth had a 41.7 PFF coverage grade in 61 coverage snaps against the Bills and Cowboys. Those aren't exactly easy offenses to play against as a rookie getting a first taste of NFL action, but it wasn't an inspiring performance. He'll likely be placed on IR in the near future, and the Vikings will hope for a rebound in year two."

I didn't at the time but now I see that Elam was the better pick, we have been trying to get him used to playing outside his comfort "zone" in the early part of the year and he's been getting better and better. Now in the playoffs we'll be able to be run multiple coverages with his skill set along with Tre back in the fold 

The crazy thing about Elam is how comfortable he has gotten in zone so quickly after basically learning it from scratch. Earlier in the year, a week or two after the Ravens game, someone who is knowledgeable with coverages and DB play did a breakdown of all the rookie CB's and was  super impressed with Elam's abilities in zone coverage and actually asked if he played a lot of it in college because it looked very natural to him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I was hoping for Booth, Pickens, Watson, Jermaine Johnson or Tyler Smith.  Wasn’t happy with Elam.  

I’m somewhat happy now.   Booth was my #1 cb on the board although the injury talk put a little fear in me.  After his training camp battle with Benford ended in a virtual tie, Elam has looked ok and his upside is evident.  Good character with great physical attributes

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The crazy thing about Elam is how comfortable he has gotten in zone so quickly after basically learning it from scratch. Earlier in the year, a week or two after the Ravens game, someone who is knowledgeable with coverages and DB play did a breakdown of all the rookie CB's and was  super impressed with Elam's abilities in zone coverage and actually asked if he played a lot of it in college because it looked very natural to him.

That's awesome, is it on YouTube? Where did you see the breakdown? 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

I was hoping for Booth, Pickens, Watson, Jermaine Johnson or Tyler Smith.  Wasn’t happy with Elam.  

I’m somewhat happy now.   Booth was my #1 cb on the board although the injury talk put a little fear in me.  After his training camp battle with Benford ended in a virtual tie, Elam has looked ok and his upside is evident.  Good character with great physical attributes

I wanted Lloyd, D Wyatt (before I realized how freaking good our DTs were), or Booth Cheers to McBeane 

1 minute ago, Bangarang said:

Thankfully, there is a sufficient sample size to make this determination and not just a handful of games. That would be silly. 

I sense sarcasm here.👆 The fact that injury concerns were the reason why he (Booth) dropped and the fact that we need the help this year allows me to be able to say accurately say this was the right call for our team. 

6 minutes ago, billvernsays said:

I sense sarcasm here.👆 The fact that injury concerns were the reason why he (Booth) dropped and the fact that we need the help this year allows me to be able to say accurately say this was the right call for our team. 

I feel so much better now that I read this.

keep it 100 mean girls GIF by Dr. Donna Thomas Rodgers

I'm not jumping of the Booth Bus. Was on it pre-draft, still think he has everything to be an elite corner. But he has had a rough start and I think Elam for someone I had as low floor, high ceiling has displayed a pretty reasonable floor as a rookie. He hasn't been rookie Tre White... but his rookie season has been comparable in performance with the guys that have come since as 1st rounders. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, billvernsays said:

He's not quite Charles Woodson in his prime yet.  So no need for so much hyperbole.  But he looks like he has potential to be a solid starting NFL CB.  He looks to have more potential then Dane Jackson.  (I know Jackson was a 7th round pick.  But the guy still sucks.)  I look for Elam to make a big jump next season if he can stay healthy.  Being an NFL rookie is not easy.  So lets hope Elam turns into a worthwhile first round pick going forward.  A better version of Leodis McKelvin would be pretty darn good.  In fact I would be very happy if he ends up playing at or near the level of Nate Clements or Antoine Winfield.  

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

He's not quite Charles Woodson in his prime yet.  So no need for so much hyperbole.  But he looks like he has potential to be a solid starting NFL CB.  He looks to have more potential then Dane Jackson.  (I know Jackson was a 7th round pick.  But the guy still sucks.)  I look for Elam to make a big jump next season if he can stay healthy.  Being an NFL rookie is not easy.  So lets hope Elam turns into a worthwhile first round pick going forward.  A better version of Leodis McKelvin would be pretty darn good.  In fact I would be very happy if he ends up playing at or near the level of Nate Clements or Antoine Winfield.  

Clements and Winfield were excellent

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Paup 1995MVP said:

I think the post was reasoned and modest.   I am missing the exaggerated statements or claims not meant to be taken literally.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.