How has the AFC East suddenly become the best division in football?

Big Turk

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

I'm gonna give a slight nod to the NFCE.

Collective team records:

AFCE:  29-15

NFCE: 32-13

Collective point differential:

AFCE:  207

NFCE:  169

I just feel like the Giants and Washington are better than the Jets and Patriots.

Niether the giants or Wft would be favored against the patriots

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, The Jokeman said:

Detroit and Houston might end up being pure garbage as seems like they've been bottom feeders for ages. 

Detroit “seems” like it’s on the right path. Not sure Campbell is a great cos h but they play hard for him and have some good talent. Also, thanks to the Stafford trade, they might have 2 top 5 picks this year to hopefully get a franchise guy. I always had a soft spot for the Lions and hope they turn it around. 

Houston is a dumpster fire however. 

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Detroit “seems” like it’s on the right path. Not sure Campbell is a great cos h but they play hard for him and have some good talent. Also, thanks to the Stafford trade, they might have 2 top 5 picks this year to hopefully get a franchise guy. I always had a soft spot for the Lions and hope they turn it around. 

Houston is a dumpster fire however. 

I like Campbell...by all accounts he is a good man and the players love and respect him.

3 hours ago, Gugny said:

I'm gonna give a slight nod to the NFCE.

Collective team records:

AFCE:  29-15

NFCE: 32-13

Collective point differential:

AFCE:  207

NFCE:  169

I just feel like the Giants and Washington are better than the Jets and Patriots.

I would like to see the strength of schedules between the two tbh before agreeing with you. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think so.  Both of those teams have negative point differentials, although small.  AFC East Schedules have in general been much harder than the NFC East's also.

By DVOA, The AFC East features #4(Jets), #7(Bills), #12(Dolphins) and #15(NE) toughest past schedules versus the NFCE at #14(NYG), #19(WAS), #21(DAL) and #29(PHI).  

So I would find it difficult to think the NFCE would have a better record if they played a similarly difficult schedule.  In reality, it might be significantly worse.

In terms of future schedule, the AFCE teams face a gauntlet as they face the 2nd(MIA), 4th(NE), 5th(NYJ) and 6th(BUF) hardest schedules from this point on while only the Commanders(7th) in the NFCE face a schedule harder than 14th(NYG) with DAL and PHI facing cupcake schedules. 

The Eagles have a great O line.  Everything on their offense revolves around that.  Jalen Hurts looks like a player.  And the AJ Brown trade was big for them.  The Cowboys look real solid.  You gotta love Micah Parsons and Tony Pollard.  And the Commanders have turned it around.  I am not sure Daniel Jones is leading any team to the playoffs.  But the Giants have been much improved under Dabol.  

The NFL is very competitive this year.  We are going to have to bring it each and every week from here on out if we want to be talking Super Bowl come mid to late January.  In the AFC all 4 teams in our division could make the playoffs.  Baltimore and Cinci in the North.  Tennessee in the South.  And KC and LAC in the west.  2 of the 9 are not getting in.  In the NFC, I think all 4 in the NFC East can make the playoffs.  Minnesota in the North.  SF and Seattle in the West.  And someone in the South.  I think SF Philly and Dallas look the best right now in the NFC.  And a lot of other teams not mentioned can play well on any given week.  Look at the Lions against us.  And Jax beating the Ravens on Sunday.  Gonna be an exciting next two months in the NFL.  Go Bills!!

5 hours ago, Dan said:

The Bills have had a pretty brutal last few weeks - physically and mentally.   During the Lions game, at one point late in the game, the sideline reporter even mentioned how the Bills’ bench looked tired (or deflated or quiet or something along that line).   To me.. even in the Knox mic’d up video they all appeared to be “going through the motions” for a lot if it.   They just seemed wore out (except Ed Oliver).

Having a full week to prepare and getting a few guys back this week is huge.   They just need to find a way to win, without any more injuries.    I feel like if they do that... it’ll be a huge, collective team sigh of relief.  Kinda like the worst is behind them type feeing. They’ll have 10 days to rest, get healthier, practice. ..and be set up for a strong final push!  

I think the Fins and Jets have benefitted a little from an easy schedule this year.  They’re improved teams, but are they battle tested and ready for the final push like the Bills are?  I don’t think so (as long as we get healthy for it).

I really expect to see a fired up, dialed-in Bills team on Thursday night.  They know this is when the season truly begins.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Just a note that the NFL has seen similar massive turnarounds before

Example in 2010, the NFC West division winner was the 7-9 Seahawks, followed by the 7-9 Rams.  49ers were 6-10, Cardinals 5-11.

2011, 49ers won it and were 13-3, Cardinals broke even, other two teams losing records.

2012, neck and neck 49ers 11-4-1 and Seahawks 11-5 for the

Put a good head coach in there, give him some good players and a functional QB, a team turns around fast.  And when 1 or 2 teams in a division are good, the gauntlet is smacked down that the other teams have to level-up or spend playoffs on the sofa.

(Which just makes the Bills Drought Years all the sadder, actually)

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

Just a note that the NFL has seen similar massive turnarounds before

Example in 2010, the NFC West division winner was the 7-9 Seahawks, followed by the 7-9 Rams.  49ers were 6-10, Cardinals 5-11.

2011, 49ers won it and were 13-3, Cardinals broke even, other two teams losing records.

2012, neck and neck 49ers 11-4-1 and Seahawks 11-5 for the

Put a good head coach in there, give him some good players and a functional QB, a team turns around fast.  And when 1 or 2 teams in a division are good, the gauntlet is smacked down that the other teams have to level-up or spend playoffs on the sofa.

(Which just makes the Bills Drought Years all the sadder, actually)

Yay us

I'm still chapped that people actually believed it would be good having Tyreek hill in the division 

Not a big secret why AFC EAST has become the best division. Bills are the most complete team in the division and maybe the NFL. Belichick has done what he has done for the past 20 years and built a very competitive team.  Other than QB, Joe Douglas has done a fantastic job building a roster for the Jets. And, Chris Grier has surrounded Tua with outstanding talent via free agency.

The Bills can take the Pats out of that equation on Thursday.  They could still potentially make the playoffs w/ a loss - but I wouldn't bet on it w/ the schedule they have to close the season.

The Jets will probably end up borderline, as well.  They have built a good team w/ quite a bit of talent, and Saleh has really changed the culture - but you can only get so far w/ their QB situation.  They'll be more formidable in the years ahead, imo.

Miami will end up w/ a WC for sure, but I don't see them taking the division.

But yeah - the strength of the division is a surprise.  We all expected this from the AFCW.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.