How has the AFC East suddenly become the best division in football?

Big Turk

Seems like Belichick is doing one of his "destroy mediocre/bad teams" and lose to good teams move like last year which is helping the Pats out a lot.

Jets D is legit and is wining in spite of their O most weeks.  

Dolphins O is carrying them and winning in spite of their D.

Bills, when healthy are still the best and most complete team in the NFL. 

AFC East is the ONLY division in football that features more than 2 teams with a Positive Net Point Differential.  In fact, EVERY team in the division is positive in net points with the Dolphins, the team leading the division(for now) being the worst at +26.  Bills are the best team in the NFL at +110.   Sucks that Bills are going to have a 3 way fight for the division now every year for the foreseeable future it seems with the Jets and Dolphins.

For all the talk of how great the AFC West would be, that has been mostly a disappointment with only KC having a positive net point differential.  

AFC North, Ravens and Bengals are both positive in net points but Steelers and Browns are bad.

NFC West has been mostly a dumpster fire.  49ers are injured as usual and Seahawks have been a nice story.  Rams and Cards have been bad.

NFC East has all teams with a winning record, but only 2 with a positive point differential.

NFC North has Minnesota who is 9-2 but is finding new miraculous ways to win every week with an absurdly low +5 differential on the year for having 9 wins.

NFC South, no team has a positive differential or winning record, speaking of dumpster fires.  

14 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Seems like Belichick is doing one of his "destroy mediocre/bad teams" and lose to good teams move like last year which is helping the Pats out a lot.

Bills started the process , got Allen and now the other AFCE teams were forced to raise their game or face 10 years of irrelevancy such as during the Brady years. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Bills, when healthy are still the best and most complete team in the NFL. 

AFC East is the ONLY division in football that features more than 2 teams with a Positive Net Point Differential.  In fact, EVERY team in the division is positive in net points with the Dolphins, the team leading the division(for now) being the worst at +26.  Bills are the best team in the NFL at +110.   Sucks that Bills are going to have a 3 way fight for the division now every year for the foreseeable future it seems with the Jets and Dolphins.

For all the talk of how great the AFC West would be, that has been mostly a disappointment with only KC having a positive net point differential.  

AFC North, Ravens and Bengals are both positive in net points but Steelers and Browns are bad.

NFC West has been mostly a dumpster fire.  49ers are injured as usual and Seahawks have been a nice story.  Rams and Cards have been bad.

NFC East has all teams with a winning record, but only 2 with a positive point differential.

NFC North has Minnesota who is 9-2 but is finding new miraculous ways to win every week with an absurdly low +5 differential on the year for having 9 wins.

NFC South, no team has a positive differential or winning record, speaking of dumpster fires.  

I'm gonna give a slight nod to the NFCE.

Collective team records:

AFCE:  29-15

NFCE: 32-13

Collective point differential:

AFCE:  207

NFCE:  169

I just feel like the Giants and Washington are better than the Jets and Patriots.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 3

No organization, perhaps other than Buffalo or Cleveland, is going to remain pure garbage forever.

It's just coincidental that the Jets and Fish have improved dramatically at the same time.

NE is still on a downward trajectory from a macro perspective, though they will always be a tough out as long as BB is coaching.  Their defense is solid too.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, B-Large said:

I love it tho- so exciting when the stakes are high.   

gotta TCB if you want to play for the ring.

get this feeling the Bills are about to go off, with their slump out of the way and some key bodies back on the field.

it’s go time. 

The Bills have had a pretty brutal last few weeks - physically and mentally.   During the Lions game, at one point late in the game, the sideline reporter even mentioned how the Bills’ bench looked tired (or deflated or quiet or something along that line).   To me.. even in the Knox mic’d up video they all appeared to be “going through the motions” for a lot if it.   They just seemed wore out (except Ed Oliver).

Having a full week to prepare and getting a few guys back this week is huge.   They just need to find a way to win, without any more injuries.    I feel like if they do that... it’ll be a huge, collective team sigh of relief.  Kinda like the worst is behind them type feeing. They’ll have 10 days to rest, get healthier, practice. ..and be set up for a strong final push!  

I think the Fins and Jets have benefitted a little from an easy schedule this year.  They’re improved teams, but are they battle tested and ready for the final push like the Bills are?  I don’t think so (as long as we get healthy for it).

• Like (+1) 2

41 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Collective team records:

I just feel like the Giants and Washington are better than the Jets and Patriots.

I think the giants are frauds. But those teams are all very even. All flawed, mainly at qb, but have some talent. Imo, the Jets have the most talent, then Washington, giants, and Pats.

but the afc East got really good. Let’s be thankful for Zach Wilson and Mac Jines because it could be really close if they were good. 

• Agree 1

35 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

No organization, perhaps other than Buffalo or Cleveland, is going to remain pure garbage forever.

It's just coincidental that the Jets and Fish have improved dramatically at the same time.

NE is still on a downward trajectory from a macro perspective, though they will always be a tough out as long as BB is coaching.  Their defense is solid too.

Detroit and Houston might end up being pure garbage as seems like they've been bottom feeders for ages. 

51 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

The Lions would like a word with you

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Collective team records:

I don't think so.  Both of those teams have negative point differentials, although small.  AFC East Schedules have in general been much harder than the NFC East's also.

By DVOA, The AFC East features #4(Jets), #7(Bills), #12(Dolphins) and #15(NE) toughest past schedules versus the NFCE at #14(NYG), #19(WAS), #21(DAL) and #29(PHI).  

So I would find it difficult to think the NFCE would have a better record if they played a similarly difficult schedule.  In reality, it might be significantly worse.

In terms of future schedule, the AFCE teams face a gauntlet as they face the 2nd(MIA), 4th(NE), 5th(NYJ) and 6th(BUF) hardest schedules from this point on while only the Commanders(7th) in the NFCE face a schedule harder than 14th(NYG) with DAL and PHI facing cupcake schedules. 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1

A combination of factors: first it helps a lot that the AFC and NFC North haven't been world beaters so far.

Second, the rest of the division had made steady progress and improvements. I honestly like Joe Banner and he's been building the Jets to be a QB away. Belicheck is still a strong defensive coach. The Dolphins threw big resources to help Tua and it shows 

Finally, they are playing unsustainably above average. It happens.

Miami-  starts with the HC-  he’s the star imo.  Good drafting.  Trading down with SF two drafts ago.  Landing Tyreek and signing Armstead. 

NYJ-  Solid drafting.   Focus on the DL/pass rush.  Douglas knows what he’s doing.  Saleh is improving.  

Pats-  BB is better than many people think.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, WhitewalkerInPhilly said:

A combination of factors: first it helps a lot that the AFC and NFC North haven't been world beaters so far.

Second, the rest of the division had made steady progress and improvements. I honestly like Joe Banner and he's been building the Jets to be a QB away. Belicheck is still a strong defensive coach. The Dolphins threw big resources to help Tua and it shows 

Finally, they are playing unsustainably above average. It happens.

You mean Douglas for the Jets?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.