Is the worm turning on college punting?

reddogblitz

When I watch college football,  I often think, it would be easy to block a punt in college football if you wanted to.  The lineman line up 2 - 3 feet apart and don't block.  The punter often runs to one side holding onto the football to do a rugby punt.  The defensive lineman usually don't even rush.

Maybe coaches have figured this out. Over the weekend I saw 3 blocked punts and a punter nut up and drop the football under a heavy rush over the course of 2 games.

Friday night Fresno State blocked 2 Wyoming punts.  One guy shot a gap while another came from outside. Then Saturday afternoon Oregon was going to punt. On the snap of the football, the Oregon lineman did not block and ran up field. The Oregon State lineman all rushed in. Too many for tyre 3 Ducks to block. They almost tackled the punter and blocked the punt.  The next time Oregon punted, they blocked a little more but Oregon State was bearing down and the Oregon punter nutted up and dropped the football on his own 1 yard line.

I'm wondering if we'll start to see more of this.

Edited by reddogblitz

• reddogblitz changed the title to Is the worm turning on college punting?
11 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

When I watch college football,  I often think, it would be easy to block a punt in college football if you wanted to.  The lineman line up 2 - 3 feet apart and don't block.  The punter often runs to one side holding onto the football to do a rugby punt.  The defensive lineman usually don't even rush.

Maybe coaches have figured this out. Over the weekend I saw 3 blocked punts and a punter nut up and drop the football under a heavy rush over the course of 2 games.

Friday night Fresno State blocked 2 Wyoming punts.  One guy shot a gap while another came from outside. Then Saturday afternoon Oregon was going to punt. On the snap of the football, the Oregon lineman did not block and ran up field. The Oregon State lineman all rushed in. Too many for tyre 3 Ducks to block. They almost tackled the punter and blocked the punt.  The next time Oregon punted, they blocked a little more but Oregon State was bearing down and the Oregon punter nutted up and dropped the football on his own 1 yard line.

It’s always a game by game situation

It takes a good long snapper and a punter who can get it off fast to not get blocked 

A slower snap is always the key to being able to block a punt… a bad snap and a good jump and you have a chance

11 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

Fresno has been a special teams leading program since as far as I can remember (going back to the early 90's).  Not a fan of the rugby style kicking. Oklahoma State had a 29 year old Aussie punter (he got hurt this year) who's a rugby kicker. He got hurt and then was replaced by a normal punting style kicker. Dude who came in to replace him was 10x better. Not sure why the rugby punt style is so popular in college. 

11 hours ago, ArdmoreRyno said:

Fresno has been a special teams leading program since as far as I can remember (going back to the early 90's).  Not a fan of the rugby style kicking. Oklahoma State had a 29 year old Aussie punter (he got hurt this year) who's a rugby kicker. He got hurt and then was replaced by a normal punting style kicker. Dude who came in to replace him was 10x better. Not sure why the rugby punt style is so popular in college. 

It’s a fad I never got …. Lack of D1 quality punters I would assume 

the line drive and roll may have some benefits but I never liked it

Edited by Buffalo716

• 2 weeks later...

I tuned into the Army Navy game for a few minutes and lo and behold the Army dogs blocked a Navy punt resulting in a TD. They blew several guys up the middle and a linebacker shot the gap.  The word is out.

I'm predicting a blocked punt or two in the final four games. Thinking maybe Hardball will do it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.