What happened to Cereal Commercials?

Kaenon

Growing up, cereal commercials were all over TV.

Now these days, every other commercial is insurance.

Am I watching different channels now? Sure ..but now that I have kids, and watching those old TV channels I used to watch as a kid - still no cereal commercials.

Are the big brands too entrenched?

Can't be no money for commercials, I see cereal for like $6/box now at the grocery store!!!

And why are insurance commercials so bad? 

And before you say it's 2022, why are you watching commercials - it's almost winter and there isn't as much to do when it's dark at 4:30pm with three kids anymore...

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Kaenon said:

Am I watching different channels now? Sure ..but now that I have kids, and watching those old TV channels I used to watch as a kid - still no cereal commercials.

Can't be no money for commercials, I see cereal for like $6/box now at the grocery store!!!

And before you say it's 2022, why are you watching commercials - it's almost winter and there isn't as much to do when it's dark at 4:30pm with three kids anymore...

Nobody buys cereal anymore and kids don't watch TV like they used to.  They are on their phones or I-pads or what have you getting ad content from those sources.

• Like (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, That's No Moon said:

Nobody buys cereal anymore and kids don't watch TV like they used to.  They are on their phones or I-pads or what have you getting ad content from those sources.

My 9 year old son gets political ads on the YouTube channel he watches. I don't think they're reaching the right demographic....

..... or ARE THEY???

happy bart simpson GIF

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, LeGOATski said:

My 9 year old son gets political ads on the YouTube channel he watches. I don't think they're reaching the right demographic....

..... or ARE THEY???

happy bart simpson GIF

They absolutely are.  Those algorithms are pretty good too. They sneak a bunch of stuff into the YouTube Shorts as well. Tons.  Watch them and it will give you more and some of it is pretty insidious for a young kid.  Watch a couple videos with military anything and see what happens.  Even video games with that type of content. If my Google Ad and YouTube algorithm saw my voting record it would be very confused.  Doesn't stop trying to convert me though.

10 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Wonder if ‘buy weed’ ads are awaiting America.

Old time ads were almost as entertaining as shows.

Now, it’s no contest, both are usually not good.

I've seen billboards with some pretty good puns. In the Chicago area, there are some that say "Weed like to see you" or something like that. And along I80/I90 across northern Indiana, there are billboards for dispensaries in Michigan.

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Kaenon said:

They were nixed by an ad executive. Now, he's known as The Cereal Killer.

Thank you, thank you. I'm here all week. Be sure to pick up my new comedy CD at the merch table.

15 hours ago, Kaenon said:

Dp you still watch cartoon shows on television?

I am guessing like 3 corporations, tops, own all cereal sold in America.

They probably don't need to advertise.

When was the last time you saw a Ferrari commercial on TV?

I've been a hardcore Ferrari fan since about 1985.  I have never seen one and to my knowledge, none has ever been produced.

I remember back in the world economic crisis of 2007-2008, Ferrari had a 4 year wait list for their new model at the time, which cost like $235,000.  

Two things we can glean from this: 1) for the rich, there is no such thing as a recession.  2) Ferrari doesn't need to advertise.

Maybe it's the same with Lucky Charms! 

20 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

I am guessing like 3 corporations, tops, own all cereal sold in America.

They probably don't need to advertise.

When was the last time you saw a Ferrari commercial on TV?

I've been a hardcore Ferrari fan since about 1985.  I have never seen one and to my knowledge, none has ever been produced.

I remember back in the world economic crisis of 2007-2008, Ferrari had a 4 year wait list for their new model at the time, which cost like $235,000.  

Two things we can glean from this: 1) for the rich, there is no such thing as a recession.  2) Ferrari doesn't need to advertise.

Maybe it's the same with Lucky Charms! 

Where do you live that you never saw a Ferrari?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.