Hypothetical Rule Question

thewookie1

11 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

So on the infamous play at the end of the Vikings game; with us literally on the inch line, is there any rule against us trying to get a hard count to draw them offside and just take the delay of game. Obviously they can’t push us any further back and we know they would be looking to force the safety. 

So would that be allowed?

I love this idea.  I really feel for these coaches having to make these decisions of what is best to do in the matter of seconds though.  Who could have even conceived the idea that we would get the ball back with kneel time at the 1 inch line.  Bet you this stuff will get his imagination going if it ever happens again.

14 hours ago, Doc said:

I wish Josh had hard-counted to draw them off-sides.  But most of all, I wish the snap had been good.

JA17 reaching under while hard counting. I would snap it reel good…..hypothetically.

Edited by I am the egg man

15 hours ago, mikemac2001 said:

soul food cooking GIF by WE tv

we could have done a thousand of diff things it was a weird fluke and I am sure teams will all have this scenario practiced and broken down going forward 

Losing close games isn’t a fluke when we have lost more than we have won over the last 2 years.

16 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

So on the infamous play at the end of the Vikings game; with us literally on the inch line, is there any rule against us trying to get a hard count to draw them offside and just take the delay of game. Obviously they can’t push us any further back and we know they would be looking to force the safety. 

Sure. Why not?

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

This is what I think teams should do when a team is taking a knee and there is enough time left for you to score and win if you could get the football back.  Kills me to see a team taking a knee at mid field with 1:30 to play up by 3 and the defensive team gives up. And a defensive off sides penalty would stop the clock.

If the defense commits the penalty after the 2:00 minute warning they enforce the penalty, re-set the play clock to 40 and then re-start the game clock. There is no advantage to purposely committing an Offside penalty before the snap to try to conserve time inside 2:00 minutes. 

9 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

This is what I think teams should do when a team is taking a knee and there is enough time left for you to score and win if you could get the football back.  Kills me to see a team taking a knee at mid field with 1:30 to play up by 3 and the defensive team gives up. And a defensive off sides penalty would stop the clock.

A defensive Offside would not stop the clock in this scenario.  It would stop momentarily of course, but the clock would start again at the referee's signal.

Since this thread is a thinly veiled rehash of the Vikings implosion, the coaches could have just implored their DBs to bat the ball down on 4th and forever and then Jefferson would never have made his miraculous catch aided by Cam Lewis suspending the ball for him at the worst possible moment. The game would have been over for all intents and purposes and the Bills wouldn't have been trying to claw their way out of the endzone from the 1 inch line.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

Is this the BB or Vrabel burner account? 

This is something they would do to bend the rules and win the game. Love the idea. Hopefully McD does something like this is it ever presents itself again

4 hours ago, transient said:

Since this thread is a thinly veiled rehash of the Vikings implosion, the coaches could have just implored their DBs to bat the ball down on 4th and forever and then Jefferson would never have made his miraculous catch aided by Cam Lewis suspending the ball for him at the worst possible moment. The game would have been over for all intents and purposes and the Bills wouldn't have been trying to claw their way out of the endzone from the 1 inch line.

Honestly it was just something I thought of while showering the other night and was curious if it was even allowed.

5 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

We're 4-3 in one score games this year. Not sure why last year's games are so important at this point.

If we count last year’s games, why not the year before that and the year before that? Probably because then it wouldn’t support the stupid notion that the Bills have incompetent coaches. 

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

Honestly it was just something I thought of while showering the other night and was curious if it was even allowed.

I could have worded it better. I don’t think it was your intention so much as that’s what it evolved into. 

• Like (+1) 1

Step one - Josh under center, Gabe in motion, hard count as clock ticks down.  No snap no play.  1" penalty if it doesn't fool them.

Step two - Josh in shotgun, student body right run/pass option.  If you can run for a yard ... fine, otherwise throw it away to avoid the safety.

Step three - Back to Josh under center for a QB sneak.  Here on second down, they actually would have needed to run the clock.

In that order we would have had 3 reasonable shots at getting a yard instead of one shot using a motion an play that had been on film from the past two or three weeks.  We lacked creativity / smarts, which is not our strong suit.  But also if anything goes wrong, it's easy to second guess and wonder why they didn't just take the "automatic" QB sneak.

Our history of automatic QB sneaking or with Josh under center is not great.  With this team, these plays are not always automatic in "got to have it" moments.

Tennessee - Josh loses footing.

Miami 2022 - Bobbled snap on a stop clock play.

Thanksgiving Dallas - Fumbled snap.  Of course Josh picked it up and then man-handled the Dallas D-line for an awesome first down.  NOTE: The original play appeared to be a toss not a sneak.

Minnesota - Fumbled snap

The 1" line was a perfect chance to be creative and get some extra free chances. I wish they played smarter in these situations.

18 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'd think if the defense did that more than one time in a row, the officials could call them for unsportsmanlike conduct.  I believe too the offense could decline the penalty which would restart the clock.  I think there are rules to prevent a team from making a travesty of the game which I'd call this tactic  borderline.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.