Hypothetical Rule Question

thewookie1

So on the infamous play at the end of the Vikings game; with us literally on the inch line, is there any rule against us trying to get a hard count to draw them offside and just take the delay of game. Obviously they can’t push us any further back and we know they would be looking to force the safety. 

So would that be allowed?

2 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

So on the infamous play at the end of the Vikings game; with us literally on the inch line, is there any rule against us trying to get a hard count to draw them offside and just take the delay of game. Obviously they can’t push us any further back and we know they would be looking to force the safety. 

Absolutely allowed. Good idea.

I keep re-living that play in my mind. Wish we had been aggressive, spread them out, and threw it out of the endzone. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

25 minutes ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

I keep re-living that play in my mind. Wish we had been aggressive, spread them out, and threw it out of the endzone. 

Min had a TO and you could take a stoppage... even if you had an incomplete you could still run the clock with 3 downs.  they would have had to sneak a 2nd time too if the first worked. Plus they sold out and let them know they were sneaking PLUS they tipped the snap with Gabe's motion It was a stupid stupid call and blew up in their face. Just horrific end game stay strategy/ management,  yet again. 

Edited by ArtVandalay
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 1

31 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

do it like 6 times and then fast count to catch them off guard 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

i agree this would have been a good thing to. Penalty would have been an inch. Hell might have even been worth trying a couple times. 

56 minutes ago, thewookie1 said:

No, why would it be? It's like any other situation. Now if they tried this over and over again then you might get into a situation where they penalize you for it but realistically you can't really move back any father at a certain point.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, thewookie1 said:

A rule I always felt is somewhat unfair.  Or the Bills could have maybe flinched just a small amount, take a chance it's not seen by officials and gain 5 yards again for off sides.  Maybe the lineman moves his back hand or something less easy to see by refs?

Take the opposite situation too, team is driving on like the 18 inch line. 2nd and goal.  Why not try and jump the snap count.  Worse that happens is you lose 9 inches. But maybe instead gets offense to flinch first and now push them back 5 yard for procedure.

27 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

A rule I always felt is somewhat unfair.  Or the Bills could have maybe flinched just a small amount, take a chance it's not seen by officials and gain 5 yards again for off sides.  Maybe the lineman moves his back hand or something less easy to see by refs?

Take the opposite situation too, team is driving on like the 18 inch line. 2nd and goal.  Why not try and jump the snap count.  Worse that happens is you lose 9 inches. But maybe instead gets offense to flinch first and now push them back 5 yard for procedure.

Phillips has done this a few times this year actually.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NoSaint said:

do it like 6 times and then fast count to catch them off guard 

Actually, I think they could have done that an infinite number of times. After a few times, I guess the officials could have started calling unsportsmanlike conduct penalties and begin kicking players out of the game for having two unsportsmanlike calls. 

But the offense only needs one Offside penalty and the game would be over. 

if it was the Pats I think that’s exactly what they would have done. 

And instead of a fumble, we’d be hearing how smart Bellichek was, and how well he understood the rule book.

5 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Yup, Josh should've been in shotgun with a spread. Give him options to run, throw or roll out. Trying to get a clean behind center snap with the entire DL bunched was just asking for it. 

• Like (+1) 2

7 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Min had a TO and you could take a stoppage... even if you had an incomplete you could still run the clock with 3 downs.  they would have had to sneak a 2nd time too if the first worked. Plus they sold out and let them know they were sneaking PLUS they tipped the snap with Gabe's motion It was a stupid stupid call and blew up in their face. Just horrific end game stay strategy/ management,  yet again. 

I wish you were our head coach.

For a week, preferably in the preseason.

• Haha (+1) 2

5 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

This is what I think teams should do when a team is taking a knee and there is enough time left for you to score and win if you could get the football back.  Kills me to see a team taking a knee at mid field with 1:30 to play up by 3 and the defensive team gives up. And a defensive off sides penalty would stop the clock.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.