SEA bench player runs out on field after INT to block. Missed by both on field and NFL officials

Big Turk

Back in the 70's during a local HS game between the 2 city schools, a guy was running a kick-off back for a TC and a guy came off the bench and tackled him.

Stopped the score he got kicked out, never lived it down and the team got a 15 yr penalty. It was also televised by the local cable company. 

21 hours ago, Limeaid said:

I guess once the play was going on no one noticed it unlike a coach who should have been suspended for a year for tripping a player on the field.

Or a head coach who "accidentally" spilled a drink onto the court into the path of an opposition player in the NBA.

11 hours ago, Hellcamino said:

When I was a kid in the 70's, my Dad told me about this play from the 1954 Cotton Bowl

Damn, I was going to post this but you beat me to it.

On the play in the 1954 game, they awarded the ball carrier a touchdown on the basis of a rule that I am not aware of.  

22 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm just wondering what he was thinking.  Was he running onto the field to celebrate and then realized his teammate wasn't down and tried to blend in? Is Carroll coaching players to do this since no one is watching? Did he just lose his mind? 

Yes, that's exactly what happened.  He wasn't trying to go on the field and cheat.

• Dislike 1

19 minutes ago, without a drought said:

But he did do it and no penalty was called..

It was a mistake by the refs. If the play had been dead and he ran out on the field to help the guys celebrate he would or at least should have been flagged.  I've seen it called several times.

Again, he was wearing a defensive players number.  He was right on the sidelines with his helmet on and buckled while he was not in the game.  How convenient.  And do you think he doesn't know the rules?  I'm not giving them a pass. It was cheating pure and simple 

IMHO.

Edited by reddogblitz

1 minute ago, reddogblitz said:

It was a mistake by the refs. If the play had been dead and he ran out on the field to help the guys celebrate he would or at least could have been flagged.  I've seen it called several times.

Again, he was wearing a defensive players number.  He was right on the sidelines with his helmet on and buckled while he was not in the game.  How convenient.  And do you think he doesn't know the rules?  I'm not giving them a pass. It was cheating pure and simple.

I'd go with it was a mistake and funny,  but to each their own. 

48 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

It was a mistake by the refs. If the play had been dead and he ran out on the field to help the guys celebrate he would or at least should have been flagged.  I've seen it called several times.

Again, he was wearing a defensive players number.  He was right on the sidelines with his helmet on and buckled while he was not in the game.  How convenient.  And do you think he doesn't know the rules?  I'm not giving them a pass. It was cheating pure and simple 

IMHO.

You do realize there’s usually at least 5-6 defenders standing by the coach with their helmets on waiting to run on field in case their number is called for the next play.  

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

You do realize there’s usually at least 5-6 defenders standing by the coach with their helmets on waiting to run on field in case their number is called for the next play.  

Agree to disagree.  I think it was cheating and you think it was an honest mistake.  Cool.  Have a nice day and Go BILLS.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.