SEA bench player runs out on field after INT to block. Missed by both on field and NFL officials

Big Turk

Gives me an idea for a last second Hail Mary defense.   

blitz a few guys on your sideline, and then have players run off the sideline deep, behind the refs, to cover the side of the field vacated by the blitz.  

after you stop them the whole team rushes the field in chaos with instructions to leave the field quickly.

no way the refs could clear the field and bring everyone back from the locker rooms to replay the down.

please practice this McDermott our end of game defense SUCKS

23 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Didn't they fire that coach?

No. He is still coaching.  Is this something they teach at William & Mary?   Maybe you are thinking about Jets assistant Sal Alosi who was suspended.

https://steelersdepot.com/2022/06/reflecting-on-infamous-jacoby-jones-incident-years-later-heck-no-tomlin-didnt-want-to-get-run-over/

https://www.si.com/nfl/2013/12/04/mike-tomlin-fine-pittsburgh-steelers-baltimore-ravens

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin's ill-timed two-step has cost him $100,000 and could cost his team a pick in next year's draft. The league fined Tomlin $100,000 for interfering with a play against the Baltimore Ravens. (Dec. 4)

https://www.si.com/nfl/2013/12/04/mike-tomlin-fine-pittsburgh-steelers-baltimore-ravens

In the statement accompanying the fine, the league said that the removal or alteration of draft picks for the Steelers in 2014 could still be in play because the act affected play on the field. The only larger fine ever given to a head coach in NFL history was the $500,000 levied against Bill Belichick of the New England Patriots for his role in the Spygate scandal.

However, Tomlin's not the only one who goofed on this play, and that's important to note. On the Tuesday edition of NFL Network's Total Access, VP of Officiating Dean Blandino admitted that Clete Blakeman's crew should have thrown a flag on Tomlin's obstruction.

"Any time a player or a coach from the sideline is in this white area, that's a 15-yard penalty for unsportsmanlike conduct," Blandino said. "If they interfere with the play, it could be what's called a 'palpably unfair act.'

Jacoby Jones dodges Mike Tomlin on kickoff return (2013)

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/did-mike-tomlin-try-to-trip-jacoby-jones-sure-looks-like-it/

tomlinhop2.gif

Remember that the Jets were fined a massive amount of money when special teams coach Sal Alosi attempted to trip a Dolphins player during a kick return.

I believe you are thinking about this: Jets assistant Sal Alosi apologized Monday for tripping a Dolphins player.

Jets coach Sal Alosi sorry, suspended - ESPN

Nolan Carroll Tripped Up By strength and conditioning coach Sal Alosi - YouTube

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sal_Alosi

New York Jets tripping incident and others

During a game against the Miami Dolphins on December 12, 2010, Alosi stuck out his knee and tripped Miami gunner Nolan Carroll, who was running down the sideline during a punt return.

Two days later, the Jets suspended him indefinitely after it was discovered that he had instructed inactive Jets players to line up along the sideline so as to potentially impede opposing players.

General manager Mike Tannenbaum said that Alosi had initially not been truthful about how the wall had been formed. Alosi was fined $25,000 by the Jets and suspended for the remainder of the 2010 season.[5] The NFL subsequently fined the Jets $100,000 for Alosi's actions.[6]

• Haha (+1) 1

Did the play take the player out of bounds and he was seen there right as he was running back on the field, or has it actually been confirmed that he was not on the field for the start of that play?

Edited by MJS

1 hour ago, MJS said:

Did the play take the player out of bounds and he was seen there right as he was running back on the field, or has it actually been confirmed that he was not on the field for the start of that play?

No he was not on the field. You can see him just standing there next to the coach at the start of the play. They draw a red box around him.

5 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't know if I have ever seen this before...the Seahawks player runs out on the field to block after they intercept Carr.  Apparently if this would have been a pick 6, it would have counted since turnovers are automatically reviewed just like scoring plays are?  

Just an egregious miss by both on field and NFL officials.  How is it possible to miss a guy running off the bench right in view of the camera??

How did they miss this guy? You'd think with that big red square around him they would easily see him.

• Haha (+1) 2

I'm going with the Pete Carroll coached him to do that.  Wouldn't be the first time he's cheated. He's a snake in the grass. How do we know he hasn't done this before?

Dude has on a defensive number. He's standing right on the sidelines with his helmet buckled even though he is not in the game. Instead realizing the "oops" he doesn't get off the field, he throws a block.  All very convenient and and coincidental.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, reddogblitz said:

I'm going with the Pete Carroll coached him to do that.  Wouldn't be the first time he's cheated. He's a snake in the grass. How do we know he hasn't done this before?

Dude has on a defensive number. He's standing right on the sidelines with his helmet buckled even though he is not in the game. Instead realizing the "oops" he doesn't get off the field, he throws a block.  All very convenient and and coincidental.

Don't think he threw a block so much as he was trying to look like he was throwing a block without actually affecting the play. He did affect the play a bit, but it sure looks like once out there he was not trying to make any difference.

I don't blame the refs a bit. You'd have to be staring right at him at the right moment to see him and the refs had a ton to look at at that moment.

Edited by Thurman#1

14 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

I'm just wondering what he was thinking.  Was he running onto the field to celebrate and then realized his teammate wasn't down and tried to blend in? Is Carroll coaching players to do this since no one is watching? Did he just lose his mind? 

In college he would have bern down because his knee it the ground.    He wasn’t touched so he could get up and still run.

im sure in an all 22 view after an e ent like a pick or big play TD you might have times where players got into the field of play from the sidelines but were obviously not 8n the play that the refs let slide

15 hours ago, KzooMike said:

He was running out to celebrate. He ran on the field when the player was down on the ground, but not ruled down. Up until NFL, he is down. Shocked this hasn't happened more.  I think when he realized he was on the field he chose the second pill instead of the first. 

It’s crazy how dumb players are in regards to this. I feel like that should be the first, and most stressed, rule change players are coached to as soon as they enter the NFL. I know it hasn’t been like that up until the pros, but come on, you’re a darn professional. Take pride in showing your knowledge of the profession to include the rules. 

and I’m not just talking about this individual in the clip. You see it all the time

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.