Elam apparently had excellent game against Detroit...bodes well for stretch run

Big Turk

48 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am an Elam fan and think he has had a mostly good rookie year, but he only played 21 snaps on Thursday as he was eased back in. I didn't actually see him targeted but I might have been serving up the mashed potato at that point :D

21 snaps and only 13 of those snaps were coverage snaps.

Hard to draw any conclusions from that sample size. Nice that he wasn’t burned in those 13 plays though.

• Like (+1) 1

I still think the Bills wanted McDuffie and we’re downright shocked when KC traded up in front of us, so they panicked and moved to get Elam, who they said was their last player left with a 1st round grade.

I remember the draft day video where Beane looked shell shocked when it happened and Terrance Gray whispered to Beane “they traded up in front of us”.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Einstein said:

I still think the Bills wanted McDuffie and we’re downright shocked when KC traded up in front of us, so they panicked and moved to get Elam, who they said was their last player left with a 1st round grade.

I remember the draft day video where Beane looked shell shocked when it happened and Terrance Gray whispered to Beane “they traded up in front of us”.

How was it a panic move when Elam was their only 1st round grade player left?  

• Like (+1) 4

3 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

How was it a panic move when Elam was their only 1st round grade player left?  

Panic wasn’t the right word. What I meant was Beane probably thought, we either get Elam ASAP or just trade down.

I think their hearts were set on McDuffie and another team made the move to get him. 

19 minutes ago, Einstein said:

21 snaps and only 13 of those snaps were coverage snaps.

Hard to draw any conclusions from that sample size. Nice that he wasn’t burned in those 13 plays though.

He hasn't really been burned much all year. There was the one game he gave up a few plays (think it was Pittsburgh) and at the moment the catch % against him is a little higher than you'd want but take the Steelers game out it has all been catches on underneath routes where he has kept it in front of him and tackled. Some of that I think is a guy who played man a lot in college adjusting and adapting to zone and trying to find the right balance between when to be aggressive and when to provide a cushion.  But overall take that Steelers game out and nobody has really got the better of him. He's been solid. 

But agree not enough snaps to draw a conclusion on his overall play v Detroit. 

32 minutes ago, Beast said:

No, it really isn’t. It was 10 years ago and rehabilitation methods are even better now than they were then.

Peterson was also a much larger human being so more torque would have been absorbed by his knee on cuts.

It is because the biggest disparity is based on the individual person regardless of anything else.

20 minutes ago, Einstein said:

The Bills did not want McDuffie. He does not fit their profile at all. The will never draft a short armed outside corner under this regime. I think they were worried KC were taking Elam because on the face of it KC plays more man (and Elam was a man guy in college) and the Bills play more zone. 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Panic wasn’t the right word. What I meant was Beane probably thought, we either get Elam ASAP or just trade down.

I think their hearts were set on McDuffie and another team made the move to get him. 

I honestly don't think they were interested in McDuffie.  He's a short armed CB and I think Elam was the one they targeted all along.  He's a taller corner with speed.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

41 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Please get Dane Jackson off the field.

I've never seen a player so close to breaking up so many plays. The football magically finds the receiver's hands whenever Dane is in coverage 

Leodis McKelvin?

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, Einstein said:

i still think you have no clue 

37 minutes ago, Einstein said:

McDuffie made no sense for this team.  He didn’t make much sense for the chiefs either.  Now they have 2 possibly great slot corners and zero potentially great outside corners.  Both he and Sneed are best suited inside. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

I've never seen a player so close to breaking up so many plays. The football magically finds the receiver's hands whenever Dane is in coverage 

it is amazing. The ball will often go through his hands, bobble around, and the receiver will still catch it! 

That said, to defend Dane a little, fans forget about the times when he has had good PD’s. Dane had a really good one on a sideline throw to Chalk against the Lions where he knocked the ball away. 

He has 10 PDs on the season, which is tied for 8th. League leader (Sauce) has 14.

https://scores.nbcsports.com/fb/leaders.asp?rank=305&range=NFL&type=Defense

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

His game this week reminded me of when McKelvin played here. Athletic enough to keep up, but not coordinated enough to break it up. 

I don't know that I've noticed it until the last couple of games, but it's probably a case where QBs have some tape on him and know that can get away with throwing it. 

At this point it makes too much sense to bench Jackson and give Elam his snaps because he's a clear liability on the field and saw stat online where he's among the worst DB's in the league in terms of opposing QB passer rating when thrown his way.

Either way if this pass defense doesn't make a dramatic improvement in the coming weeks it's going to be a quick exit in the playoffs considering the type of QB's we'll be facing, and quite frankly most of the games the rest of the way are not favorable matchups including the Pats this week with Mac Jones coming off a day in which he put up nearly 400 yards against the vikings.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Einstein said:

That whole draft fell poorly for Buffalo. I agree in thinking they wanted a different CB, and I also think IOL was a high priority but the top IOL got drafted much higher than anticipated. Could explain all of the trade backs that happened.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.