Jim Kubiak Analysis in BN

Casey D

The article is behind a pay wall in today's BN, so I did not link it.  But it is really insightful and here are the highlights:

- The Bills appeared mentally and physically exhausted throughout the game.  He noted early on how Allen avoided contact by going out of bounds when he was running to save energy.  He thought the Bills put on a gutsy performance given injuries and fatigue.

-Felt that Dorsey went to the RPO one time too many on the interception in the red zone in the third quarter.  Need some new wrinkles in red zone.

- Allen's third quarter was his worst since 2018. 

- Last throw from Allen to Diggs defied the laws of physics.  Given the Lions' coverage, the play should have been available at the 18-22 yard range given the time the defenders had to react.  Allen threw it 36 yards in the same amount of time as a normal NFL QB could throw it 18-22 yards.  It was moving 59 MPH.  Diggs also ran a fantastic route.  Basically, it was a play that should not have been made, and only Allen and Diggs' surreal skills make it possible.  

If you have a subscription, I highly recommend the read as it really helps cut through all the BS on the Board.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Kubiak does these weekly. Always features nice analysis and includes highlights.

Two noteworthy items in this week's synopsis.  The first is his opinion on how exhausted Josh and the Bills appeared all game. The second is his appeal to CBS to not have Romo do Bills games due to his anti Bills bias.   

Worth the read for sure.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, freddyjj said:

Kubiak does these weekly. Always features nice analysis and includes highlights.

Two noteworthy items in this week's synopsis.  The first is his opinion on how exhausted Josh and the Bills appeared all game. The second is his appeal to CBS to not have Romo do Bills games due to his anti Bills bias.   

Worth the read for sure.  

Thanks.  I was not sure who wrote that letter to CBS about Romo, but it was really good.  Must have been Kubiak given the placement.

5 minutes ago, Casey D said:

Thanks.  I was not sure who wrote that letter to CBS about Romo, but it was really good.  Must have been Kubiak given the placement.

I don’t know about that “letter”.  Whining about announcers not giving “my team” enough attention seems bush league. 

Romo’s job is to build up the game to hold an average viewer’s attention by pandering to the lowest common denominator. This is especially true on a big holiday broadcast where the point spread was large.  

If you are looking for analysis, listen to Eric Wood on WGR; he breaks down each play, gives personnel and formation and assesses the success or failure of each play as the game goes on. 

If you want something specific, you need to know where to go for it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

35 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

If you are looking for analysis, listen to Eric Wood on WGR; he breaks down each play, gives personnel and formation and assesses the success or failure of each play as the game goes on. 

Agreed.  Listening to the game Thursday I appreciated Wood's analysis.  It seemed during Mark Kelso's tenure that he was trying to comment on too much that occurred in the previous play.  Not a knock; Kelso was just overachieving. 😁

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, freddyjj said:

Worth the read for sure.  

Romo biased? I didn't think so. Not like Collinsworth.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

It’s Detroit, thanksgiving is supposed to be their game and they are becoming a fun team to watch. They’re never on national tv outside the holiday game. I like what they’re building the last couple years I have no issue with them getting some Romo love. I have never listened to him call a bills game and think he has any agenda. 

And I have seen enough RPO at this point that I don’t really want to see it anymore. 

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

How does he claim that Romo is biased against the Bills?  The thought has never crossed my mind with him.

Yeah, I think he was doing was all announcers do, build up a game for the weaker team when there is blowout potential just to keep people watching.  Romo did not appreciate, however, how undermanned the Bills were, and Kubiak felt that was totally ignored.  

Thanks for the post. 

I respect Kubiak's opinion, but I disagree with any notion of anti-Bills bias by Tony Romo.

He repeatedly, constantly excused Allen's poor stretches of play and bad throws by blaming them solely on a sore elbow. He called Dane Jackson a "budding superstar" on more than one occasion. He openly voiced his amazement at some of Allen's throws.

Lack of preparedness/thoroughness by not mentioning Bills injuries? Sure. Actual anti-Bills bias? I didn't come away with that impression at all.

Has Kubiak ever heard Chris Collinsworth?!

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The RPO was once a strength in the Bills offense.  However as is often true in life, overuse or sometimes consistent reliance on a “good thing” turns it into a “bad thing.” I think the Bills are there.

Dorsey’s route trees and lack of creativity is hurting the Bills in the red zone.

• Like (+1) 3

9 minutes ago, Logic said:

Thanks for the post. 

I respect Kubiak's opinion, but I disagree with any notion of anti-Bills bias by Tony Romo.

He repeatedly, constantly excused Allen's poor stretches of play and bad throws by blaming them solely on a sore elbow. He called Dane Jackson a "budding superstar" on more than one occasion. He openly voiced his amazement at some of Allen's throws.

Lack of preparedness/thoroughness by not mentioning Bills injuries? Sure. Actual anti-Bills bias? I didn't come away with that impression at all.

Has Kubiak ever heard Chris Collinsworth?!

You make an excellent point on preparedness-- Romo was not.  He kept harping on Detroit missing two guards, as if they were the only undermanned team.  Probably ate too much at the Wednesday meal, as he said when going on about hanging on the goalpost and tilting it to help the last Lion FG try.  🙂

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

The RPO was once a strength in the Bills offense.  However as is often true in life, overuse or sometimes consistent reliance on a “good thing” turns it into a “bad thing.” I think the Bills are there.

Dorsey’s route trees and lack of creativity is hurting the Bills in the red zone.

Agree.  Get Allen moving in the red zone to give HIM an option to run or throw would be mostly unstoppable, yet we rarely see it.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Agreed.  Listening to the game Thursday I appreciated Wood's analysis.  It seemed during Mark Kelso's tenure that he was trying to comment on too much that occurred in the previous play.  Not a knock; Kelso was just overachieving. 😁

Kelso was the ultimate X's and O's guy.  Learned a ton from listening to him, but agreed, it took me a while to decipher the hieroglyphics.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

Kelso was the ultimate X's and O's guy.  Learned a ton from listening to him, but agreed, it took me a while to decipher the hieroglyphics.

I agree 100%.  Unfortunately, I never played a down of organized football in my life.  Most of his commentary was lost on me.  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Romo biased? I didn't think so. Not like Collinsworth.

I completely agree - I have never thought of Romo as biased.  I would be happy though if the Bills never played another Sunday night game just so we didn't have to listen to Collinsworth.  Josh has broken his precious PFF and he will never get over that.

38 minutes ago, BuffaloBill said:

Where has the free access RPO went?  It's still available but the Bills don't take it too often anymore...the 5 yard out to Diggs when DB's are playing off coverage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.