Kyler Murray: How did the Cardinals fall for it?

Mikie2times

It makes sense that he have "input".  They've got a lot of $ tied up in him as well as more importantly cap space, which is a more finite resource.  You want to maximize that investment & much like having Allen's input on a OC, you should listen to what his opinion is, though it certainly shouldn't be the only factor.

Now, as for how prudent it was to actually invest that contract in him... ;)

3 hours ago, Doc said:

They don't want him to pull a Watson.  If I were them, I'd pray he pulls a Watson and they can get a Watson-type trade deal for him.

Outside of the Browns, who else would do a trade like that?

Raiders?

Commanders?

2 minutes ago, BuffaloBills1998 said:

Panthers, Saints, most likely Tampa Bay after this season. Maybe the colts

The first three are needy enough, but are they that inept?

The Colts, on the other hand - you might be right about them.

• Like (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

Kyler Murray isn't nearly as bad a QB as many here are making out.  Like the Cardinals had another choice in the matter.

No he’s pretty bad and what makes it worse is that he doesn’t care about football and proves that by playing video games over studying his playbook. I think Kingsbury is happy to get away from him and the cardinals organization. Arizona is screwed for at least the next 2-3 years

• Agree 1

When he signed that contract, I said on this board somewhere that Murray would take the guaranteed money and run, and would be playing baseball within three years. 

With everything we have seen since then, it has only made me more sure of my prediction.

1 minute ago, Special K said:

When he signed that contract, I said on this board somewhere that Murray would take the guaranteed money and run, and would be playing baseball within three years. 

With everything we have seen since then, it has only made me more sure of my prediction.

I would think he would have to give up guaranteed money if he walks away from football. 

On 11/27/2022 at 9:08 PM, SoCal Deek said:

Not trying to start an argument but if the list changes from year to year then I’d say those other guys aren’t really Franchise QBs. I believe the very definition is that they transcend the year to year up and downs. 

Good point.  If you aren't in the playoffs annually or close you don't have a Franchise QB.  A Franchise QB should be able to carry your team in almost any season.  A Franchise QB is not a very good or above average QB it is the best of the best for a long period of time.

Previous Franchise QBs on the decline...

Aaron Rodgers

Tom Brady

Russ Wilson - unless H2o is correct above and Russ was never as good as he appears

Matthew Stafford - is on the decline, but also previously declined some years back - but, he was a Franchise QB, Detroit was just so bad they didn't compete as much as they should have

Current Franchise QBs

Patrick Mahomes

Josh Allen

Justin Herbert - probably

Joe Burrow

Recently retired Franchise QBs

Drew Brees

Ben Roethlisberger

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

Kyler Murray isn't nearly as bad a QB as many here are making out.  Like the Cardinals had another choice in the matter.

The choice was not to extend him and continue to play on his current deal which could have been two more year.  They then could have franchised him for a 3rd year.

They had options.  Believing in their College Coach Kliff Kingsbury to be able evaluate a NFL Franchise QB and listen to him to pay him for a scheme specific team vs a traditional Franchise QB was the problem.  Now the Coach is fired and the scheme is gone.  The gimmick is gone.

It is going to hurt.  If his College Coach could not get him to study and he now is paid I am confident the new regime will struggle more with him.

Just my thoughts and glad it is not our problem.

• Like (+1) 2

People forget Kyler wasn’t like Russell Wilson or even Tom Brady back in the day where baseball was a hobby. He was a cornerstone Major League Baseball talent taken in the top 10 of the mlb draft. 
I always felt him looking at the contracts of Judge or Correa and thinking hey they don’t have to have 300 lbs defensive chasing him around and just catch ground balls. 

27 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

People forget Kyler wasn’t like Russell Wilson or even Tom Brady back in the day where baseball was a hobby. He was a cornerstone Major League Baseball talent taken in the top 10 of the mlb draft. 
I always felt him looking at the contracts of Judge or Correa and thinking hey they don’t have to have 300 lbs defensive chasing him around and just catch ground balls. 

He ought to switch to baseball. Much easier sport to be individualistic at. 

• Agree 1

big will ferrell GIF

I'm kinda of a big deal at my company and I want some say when we get a new Manager - does that even make sense? I mean I know it's wayyyy different but this seems completely off to me. Let's cater to the spoiled guy because we don't want him to pout more- 

The organization will be set back IMO if they listen to that dude

14 minutes ago, BIGFOOTspaceman said:

Not really that surprising. How many times did the Bills “fall for it?”

Johnson

Edwards

Bledsoe

Fitzpatrick

Taylor

Yep, the Bills were certainly fortunate to land Allen. 

In reality, doesn't it seem that there's usually 6 or 7 standout QBs in the NFL? It's kind of cyclical. The Packers had Favre & Rodgers back-to-back, highly unusual (and "only won" two SBs with them).

Of course the flip side there's teams that haven't had QBs for a very long time. Erase Mahomes from KC for example, their last long-term good QB was Len Dawson. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.