Kyler Murray: How did the Cardinals fall for it?

Mikie2times

23 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You are 100% wrong in your assessment of Kyler Murray's physical ability.

His problem is between the ears.  Period.

Yes, his problem is between his ears but it's also an athletic problem because he refuses to exercise his brain.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

45 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

After watching him get dismantled and quit on his team in the playoffs. Including a clause in his initial contract that required him to put in additional time studying. Then seeing his agent put out a public statement basically demanding a new contract. It looked awful as far as how it reflected on what's supposed to be the leader of your team. At the time all I could think of was he knew defenses were figuring him out and he did not want to play another year risking what damage would be done to his next contract. His leveraging, to my surprise, worked. I have no idea what Arizona was thinking. They had all of 2022 with a 2023 option. Instead they're on the hook for 230 million with 190 of it guaranteed.  

Watching this guy, I would be so disappointed if I was a Cardinal fan. Running around like this is arena ball just to float a wounded duck 15 yards. He just doesn't have NFL skills.  Even in today's dual threat era, he doesn't have the skills to be successful.  I think perhaps the greatest curse a team can fall victim to is paying a Franchise QB without really knowing for sure if he is. If I'm an NFL GM I have a rule in place. If my QB makes to the last year of his deal and I don't know for sure, move on. The risk of making the wrong decision in this spot will kill your franchise. 

Agree, there have so many of these stories about QB's who look pretty good, but not really good enough.  But  there's a huge shortage of actual franchise QB's so teams take chances.  Rather than as you suggest letting them walk if not certain, they double down for fear that starting over is harder and no assurances that won't be in the same spot in another4 years.  At least they know what they have in the present guy.

If there were no salary cap in the NFL many of these guys would be OK.  But once you give your QB franchise money, you have to make cuts and weaken the team in other areas.  That's when you find out this guy can't carry the team.  There's probably about a dozen either great or very good franchise QB's in the league that are worth the money they are being paid, but probably another dozen making close to the same money, but not worth it and now the rest of the team has been gutted. 

IMO the QB position is in better shape today than it's been in the last 25 years with more guys being worth the money, but still nto enough to go around for all the teams

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Because GMs and HCs are invented to keep their jobs and get their next contract. They don’t need to win a SB to do that, they need to have successful seasons. They have a better chance of doing that with a known commodity than rolling the dice again. I give Berry and the Browns a lot of credit for cutting bait with Mayfield and acquiring a QB who can be elite.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Because GMs and HCs are invented to keep their jobs and get their next contract. They don’t need to win a SB to do that, they need to have successful seasons. They have a better chance of doing that with a known commodity than rolling the dice again. I give Berry and the Browns a lot of credit for cutting bait with Mayfield and acquiring a QB who can be elite.

He can be elite in the penitentiary league.

• Haha (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Watson aside, I give the Browns major props for cutting ties with Baker and not allowing themselves to be at a crossroads near the end of a contract. They avoided what Arizona could not. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, KzooMike said:

After watching him get dismantled and quit on his team in the playoffs. Including a clause in his initial contract that required him to put in additional time studying. Then seeing his agent put out a public statement basically demanding a new contract. It looked awful as far as how it reflected on what's supposed to be the leader of your team. At the time all I could think of was he knew defenses were figuring him out and he did not want to play another year risking what damage would be done to his next contract. His leveraging, to my surprise, worked. I have no idea what Arizona was thinking. They had all of 2022 with a 2023 option. Instead they're on the hook for 230 million with 190 of it guaranteed.  

Watching this guy, I would be so disappointed if I was a Cardinal fan. Running around like this is arena ball just to float a wounded duck 15 yards. He just doesn't have NFL skills.  Even in today's dual threat era, he doesn't have the skills to be successful.  I think perhaps the greatest curse a team can fall victim to is paying a Franchise QB without really knowing for sure if he is. If I'm an NFL GM I have a rule in place. If my QB makes to the last year of his deal and I don't know for sure, move on. The risk of making the wrong decision in this spot will kill your franchise. 

I don’t know if you’re right or wrong, but this is a great post.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Had a good game today, 3 TD's, made a lot of plays. He's not the reason they lost today. He's still better than most QB's in the league, although that doesn't say much. He'll be good for a while, not sure if he'll be great again, he has a lot of weapons , but I don't think he has a good coach.

6 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Had a good game today, 3 TD's, made a lot of plays. He's not the reason they lost today. He's still better than most QB's in the league, although that doesn't say much. He'll be good for a while, not sure if he'll be great again, he has a lot of weapons , but I don't think he has a good coach.

I don't think we watched the same game. He constantly bailed out of the play design. Couldn't do anything in the 4th quarter. Looked average. Which is what he is. I can name 15 QB's I would rather have, 10 in a landslide. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, FireChans said:

You are 100% wrong in your assessment of Kyler Murray's physical ability.

His problem is between the ears.  Period.

I think your assessment is 100% accurate, however he does throw ducks after moving his feet approximately 3 miles covering 7 yards (twitchy or quick?), seems to move a ton without ever really going far. Anyways, he’s going to suck that franchise for years IMO. 

2 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Not trying to start an argument but if the list changes from year to year then I’d say those other guys aren’t really Franchise QBs. I believe the very definition is that they transcend the year to year up and downs. 

Correct and that is why there are so few actual “Franchise QBs”

My list:

Top QB: Mahomes

Franchise QBs: Josh, Burrow

Potential but need to see more: Hurts, Tua, Herbert, Watson, Jackson

Former franchise QBs: Rodgers, Brady

So three definite franchise QBs in my opinion which seems light, but I cannot say I trust any others at this point to stay up there .. though Hurts and Tua seemed best positioned.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

9 hours ago, clayboy54 said:

He can be elite in the penitentiary league.

Certainly a lot can be said about that aspect of it. But if I’m being honest I doubt there are many owners who really care about the morality of their players beyond how it can hurt the team’s win totals with suspensions, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.