Kyler Murray: How did the Cardinals fall for it?

Mikie2times

After watching him get dismantled and quit on his team in the playoffs. Including a clause in his initial contract that required him to put in additional time studying. Then seeing his agent put out a public statement basically demanding a new contract. It looked awful as far as how it reflected on what's supposed to be the leader of your team. At the time all I could think of was he knew defenses were figuring him out and he did not want to play another year risking what damage would be done to his next contract. His leveraging, to my surprise, worked. I have no idea what Arizona was thinking. They had all of 2022 with a 2023 option. Instead they're on the hook for 230 million with 190 of it guaranteed.  

Watching this guy, I would be so disappointed if I was a Cardinal fan. Running around like this is arena ball just to float a wounded duck 15 yards. He just doesn't have NFL skills.  Even in today's dual threat era, he doesn't have the skills to be successful.  I think perhaps the greatest curse a team can fall victim to is paying a Franchise QB without really knowing for sure if he is. If I'm an NFL GM I have a rule in place. If my QB makes to the last year of his deal and I don't know for sure, move on. The risk of making the wrong decision in this spot will kill your franchise. 

Edited by KzooMike
  • Like (+1) 8
  • Disagree 3
  • Agree 7

Bidwill loves Steve Keim, that's why. The Bidwill family has NEVER been sharp as ownership and it explains why they have been lost as a franchise for decades. Sure they struck gold for a couple of seasons, but their track record SUCKS. Keim is the one that did the deal for Murray, and until Bidwill fires him, others like Kingsbury will get the axe and Kyler will keep getting paid.

• Angry 1
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

After watching him get dismantled and quit on his team in the playoffs. Including a clause in his initial contract that required him to put in additional time studying. Then seeing his agent put out a public statement basically demanding a new contract. It looked awful as far as how it reflected on what's supposed to be the leader of your team. At the time all I could think of was he knew defenses were figuring him out and he did not want to play another year risking what damage would be done to his next contract. His leveraging, to my surprise, worked. I have no idea what Arizona was thinking. They had all of 2022 with a 2023 option. Instead they're on the hook for 230 million with 190 of it guaranteed.  

Watching this guy, I would be so disappointed if I was a Cardinal fan. Running around like this is arena ball just to float a wounded duck 15 yards. He just doesn't have NFL skills.  Even in today's dual threat error, he doesn't have the skills to be successful.  I think perhaps the greatest curse a team can fall victim to is paying a Franchise QB without really knowing for sure if he is. If I'm an NFL GM I have a rule in place. If my QB makes to the last year of his deal and I don't know for sure, move on. The risk of making the wrong decision in this spot will kill your franchise. 

You are 100% wrong in your assessment of Kyler Murray's physical ability.

His problem is between the ears.  Period.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 9
  • Haha (+1) 2

Murray is an immature, chuck-n-duck, water bug. His speed is his only above-average asset, but he fears contact so even that can’t be maximized.

Also, the study clause was in his new contract until it became a public distraction and the team supposedly removed it.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

You are 100% wrong in your assessment of Kyler Murray's physical ability.

His problem is between the ears.  Period.

Sorry, but his height does hinder him. This isn't college. Just because he can run around like his head is cut off and find some throwing lanes, he does not possess the zip on the ball or the accuracy in the short and intermediate passing game.  So he makes some plays once and awhile. He's a hell of an athlete, but his deficiencies limit him.  Watching him is literally identical to watching Flutie. If he has issues between his ears outside of just lacking the skills to be a pro football QB than I don't know what to say. I wouldn't take him if you paid me.  

• Agree 1

There is an abundance of bad decision making concerning QBs in the league as we have seen over the years, and it’s getting worse annually. The term “Franchise QB” is used far to loosely, just because a given QB is the starter does not mean he is a “Franchise QB”. There are maybe eight actual franchise QBs in the league in any given year tops. That said, it always makes me happy to see a team that is not the Bills pay dearly for crappy QBs, it just increases the odds that our team has prolonged success, 😁👍

GO BILLS!!!

1 minute ago, Don Otreply said:

There is an abundance of bad decision making concerning QBs in the league as we have seen over the years, and it’s getting worse annually. The term “Franchise QB” is used far to loosely, just because a given QB is the starter does not mean he is a “Franchise QB”. There are maybe eight actual franchise QBs in the league in any given year tops. That said, it always makes me happy to see a team that is not the Bills pay dearly for crappy QBs, it just increases the odds that our team has prolonged success, 😁👍

GO BILLS!!!

Which guys are your eight? 

3 minutes ago, KzooMike said:

Sorry, but his height does hinder him. This isn't college. Just because he can run around like his head is cut off and find some throwing lanes, he does not possess the zip on the ball or the accuracy in the short and intermediate passing game.  So he makes some plays once and awhile. He's a hell of an athlete, but his deficiencies limit him.  Watching him is literally identical to watching Flutie. If he has issues between his ears outside of just lacking the skills to be a pro football QB than I don't know what to say. I wouldn't take him if you paid me.  

Kyler Murray's biggest problem is that he doesn't appear to care about being a great NFL QB or a great leader.  So much of succeeding at this level, especially as a QB, is above the shoulders.

Yes, he's short. Yes, that isn't a plus. But he can be a good QB, because he HAS been a good QB.

But you can't be a bad leader and a good QB.  You can't be a poor student of the game and a good QB.

If you look at the loooooooooooooong history of the NFL, and look at all the QB's who have ever played, a lot of them weren't giants.  A lot of them didn't have the strongest arm in the game. But none of the good ones were crappy leaders. None of the good ones needed to be hounded by their coaching staff to study film, or work on their game.

Murray wants to roll out of bed, dominate, then go home and play video games. He was good enough to do that in college. He isn't good enough to do that in the NFL.  His team knows this, which is why they tried to force him to do so in the contract they gave him.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

It's weird how the Cardinals were 7-0 to begin their 2021 season, and have regressed so bad since.

Imagine how bad we would regress if Diggs missed the rest of the year and got suspended for peds the first half of next year?  We’d probably trade our first rd pick for Hollywood brown.  Losing Hopkins was devastating.

Other massive contributing factors-

Kyler just doesn’t have the mentality to be an elite qb-   jmo from my couch.  

kingsbury is out of his league.  

bleh OL- bleh D

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Starr Almighty said:

DangerSus was alot better than Kyler

Was he really though? I'm thinking more along the lines of Pete Carroll is a genius and hid Russ' flaws all of these years. Look what he's getting out of Geno right now, the same Geno Smith who hasn't done squat in the NFL up to this point. Russ is a bum

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

Which guys are your eight? 

Depends on a given season, right now, Mahomes, Allen, maybe three or four, more, but really, right now, hell your guess is as good as anyones…

Just now, Don Otreply said:

Depends on a given season, right now, Mahomes, Allen, maybe three or four, more, but really, right now, hell your guess is as good as anyones…

Not trying to start an argument but if the list changes from year to year then I’d say those other guys aren’t really Franchise QBs. I believe the very definition is that they transcend the year to year up and downs. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 5

2 minutes ago, H2o said:

Was he really though? I'm thinking more along the lines of Pete Carroll is a genius and hid Russ' flaws all of these years. Look what he's getting out of Geno right now, the same Geno Smith who hasn't done squat in the NFL up to this point. Russ is a bum

Russ was better than Kyler at the same age. Not as good an athlete but better QB skills. With Russ, I just don't think his style of play ages well. Not like Kyler's will either, Russ is just older. It is a bit ironic, with all this talk of Kyler not being a leader some have accused Russ of the same. Further, both QB's could have played major league baseball. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.