Luke Fickell to Wisconsin

YoloinOhio

13 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

No but I think he’s going to end up giving up play calling 

How can you not say he's on the hot seat? He literally took what Urban handed him and frittered it away. When the 12 team playoff system arrives, I guarantee you Ryan Day's way of coaching will never win them a title.

Edited by EasternOHBillsFan

9 minutes ago, Bandito said:

This story tells opposite of what you think. It is quite compelling. Sour grapes methinks?

https://www.outkick.com/luke-fickell-announced-football-coach-wisconsin-badgers-contract/

What story? LOL Last time I checked, the game is played by players and not by coaches. School can throw all the money they want to at head coaches, but it means jack squat if players feel they won't get the NIL deals they would at other schools. In no way can Wisconsin keep up in that regard.

Michigan State threw a 10 year, $95 million contract extension at Mel Tucker, and now where are they at?

2 minutes ago, Bandito said:

Mel Tukcer isn't the coach Fickell is. Sorry your Bucko's lost bro. But this is a good move for Wisconsin

This isn't personal, this is business. It's the haves and have nots with NIL involved. A player going to Wisconsin isn't a smart move and Fickell isn't going to make much of a difference. Not my fault you can't see the forest for the trees.

• Thank you (+1) 1

31 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

How can you not say he's on the hot seat? He literally took what Urban handed him and frittered it away. When the 12 team playoff system arrives, I guarantee you Ryan Day's way of coaching will never win them a title.

This year? The university would owe him like 50 mill. I don’t see it. I’m sure the media has him on it though. Actually I know they do. But the president and board love him. Guessing gene does too. 

Edited by YoloinOhio
  • Haha (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

This year? The university would owe him like 50 mill. I don’t see it. I’m sure the media has him on it though. Actually I know they do. But the president and board love him. Guessing gene does too. 

Well then buckle up for some John Cooper like seasons coming up then... it's not looking good so far at all. What happened in the second half of the game on Saturday is a warning sign... last year, the defense was supposedly the problem and that was supposedly fixed. This year the coaches in their entirety starting with Ryan Day have a lot to answer for.

• Haha (+1) 1

15 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I'm not impressed with Fickell and I'm glad they scooped him up now because he's not good enough to coach at TOSU. I don't think Day lasts at Ohio State...

I'm not clear because your position flits around here.... do you think bad move for Wisconsin because he isn't a good coach? Or bad move for him because in the NIL era it is hard for a team like Wisconsin to compete?

Personally, I think Fickell might have landed a bigger job. Slightly surprised this was his jump point, but maybe it is a tacit acknowledgement that the crop he had at Cincinnati was a one off crop and his stock can only fall from this point. So it is a case of "best job available this cycle".

11 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Well then buckle up for some John Cooper like seasons coming up then... it's not looking good so far at all. What happened in the second half of the game on Saturday is a warning sign... last year, the defense was supposedly the problem and that was supposedly fixed. This year the coaches in their entirety starting with Ryan Day have a lot to answer for.

I’m sure a lot of fans wouldn’t cry if he jumped to the nfl but it’s nothing I have any control over, just saying what I think the university’s position is. Maybe I’m wrong. I wonder how much the rivalry matters to the players we have now, most who had no connection to it their whole lives until they got here because they are almost all from other states. I know the staff really tries do beat it into  them but it definitely seems different now. Their priorities have shifted to NIL $ and draft position. They were doing NIL autograft signings the week of The Game…

• Awesome! (+1) 2

3 hours ago, YoloinOhio said:

I’m sure a lot of fans wouldn’t cry if he jumped to the nfl but it’s nothing I have any control over, just saying what I think the university’s position is. Maybe I’m wrong. I wonder how much the rivalry matters to the players we have now, most who had no connection to it their whole lives until they got here because they are almost all from other states. I know the staff really tries do beat it into  them but it definitely seems different now. Their priorities have shifted to NIL $ and draft position. They were doing NIL autograft signings the week of The Game…

NIL changes everything.... and I don't think that the players understand that boosters aren't going to want to shell out NIL $$$ for a losing team. I don't know why some people don't see the impact of NIL and how the landscape has changed out there.

Ryan Day to me is a severe disappointment and if you aren't adjusting in games and allowing offensive talent to wither on the vine, you should be coaching at Iowa where they don't have much instead of Ohio State.

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I'm not clear because your position flits around here.... do you think bad move for Wisconsin because he isn't a good coach? Or bad move for him because in the NIL era it is hard for a team like Wisconsin to compete?

Personally, I think Fickell might have landed a bigger job. Slightly surprised this was his jump point, but maybe it is a tacit acknowledgement that the crop he had at Cincinnati was a one off crop and his stock can only fall from this point. So it is a case of "best job available this cycle".

It's a bad move because Wisconsin is a lateral move... he will be in the same position he was at Cinci. This is not about his coaching ability. I do not think he can compete with Xichigan and Ohio State and should have held out for a better job. 

35 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

It's a bad move because Wisconsin is a lateral move... he will be in the same position he was at Cinci. This is not about his coaching ability. I do not think he can compete with Xichigan and Ohio State and should have held out for a better job. 

Got ya. I don't necessarily disagree with that. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.