Khalil Shakir's pic on a milk carton

Dan Darragh

3 hours ago, Bob in STL said:

I am going with the basic assumption that Shakir does not get open enough and maybe even does the wrong things at times.  I do not think Josh trusts him enough in crunch time.  He trusts Diggs, Davis, Knox and McKenzie much more.   That is where he will go.  

It takes a while for some receivers to develop, and it takes a while for them to get on the same page as their QB.  An injury to Crowder is the reason we are even talking about Shakir.  It is not like he emerged from great play in practice.   This is not preseason against 4th stringers.  Josh and Shakir have had little time to work together.  

Next year Shakir should be much better.  This year you take what you can get from the 5th round rookie.  He is promising but probably not going to be an impact player just yet.  

I simply don't see the Bills running the routes that they had success with Beasley...those quick slants, short to mid-crossers, etc. Just don't see it with Dorsey.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

He is struggling to separate at the moment. He is never gonna a big separator against man coverage and he just hasn't quite developed that sense yet of how to manipulate the soft spots in zone to get open. 

Patience. 

Think I'm too worn out to think but I will gove it a try...

How can we switch teams to playing zone coverage or cover 2 with 3 LBs or cover 4?

We need a running back who'd need the other team to leverage a big body LB instead of nickel or a team that doesn't have a nickel. 

We would need an OL that can block with just 5 to use Knox on seam splitting posts or falres. Or that extra skill player to cause deep coverage.

I don't see Shakir succeeding with our other skillsets unless McKenzie can improve in 4 WR sets, the OL can get better, we can disguise passes /play action, or Knox can step up to 2021 form.  We just need 2 of the 3 to be successful. 

7 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I swear, the Bills actually have a guy named Khalil Shakir, a much touted rookie who has pulled a disappearing act.

Shakir has only had 2 targets in the last 4 games, and zero targets in the last two games when the Bills were only carrying 4 WRs.

What happened?  Can't get open?  Dissed the coaches?  Tried to hit on Josh's GF?

I’ve been thinking about Shakir and also can’t figure out why he doesn’t get any targets.  I doubt that he’s getting open and Josh is missing him. 

There was a video on Cover 1 where Erik Turner broke down some of Dorsey’s route designs which gave receivers little spacing and all but took them out of making a play.  I am pretty sure the lack of looks is a Dorsey issue…but I can say for sure 

1 hour ago, Billz4ever said:

Like Cook?  I think Cook has already proven he's more than capable of playing at this level.

He’s just not consistently good yet.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Im sorry but I disagree with you.  Most of these guys on the list is exactly what I said... guys that have been ok but didnt really become anything impactful.  The ones that did become impactful are towards the end of their rookie contract.  This team needs players to be an impact when they are cheap, not just when its time to re-sign them. 

We will have to agree to disagree on this, then.

3 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Im sorry but I disagree with you.  Most of these guys on the list is exactly what I said... guys that have been ok but didnt really become anything impactful.  The ones that did become impactful are towards the end of their rookie contract.  This team needs players to be an impact when they are cheap, not just when its time to re-sign them. 

Taron Johnson was out nickel right out of the box and had a good rookie year before he got injured and I would say Gabe Davis was an immediate impact guy too. The issue with Gabe is that he hasn't kicked on.

9 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Milano was a starter by year 2. 

By the end of his rookie season. Milano is that same draft as White is why I didn't throw him in. I think @Scott7975 meant since that 2017 class. Cos Dawkins was instant impact from that class too.

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

"most"

Yea I wasn't necessarily disagreeing. Just trying to pick out the ones where I think it doesn't apply. I think part of it is they like to draft these high ceiling athletes and that can come with some rawness. 

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Yes I am mostly referring to the last few drafts.  

I mean the counterpoint is that it’s hard for recently drafted guys to be instant contributors on a well-rounded team with good depth. Like, what DB’s are gonna see the field a bunch playing behind Tre, Hyde and Poyer unless there’s catastrophic injury? Dane Jackson was a GREAT contributor last season but only because Tre got hurt.

Honestly it’s a tremendous shame that Cody Ford didn’t work out because this team is in desperate need of a good starter on IOL besides Morse

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the fact that he looked good in pre-season threw off people’s expectations. I would like to see a little more out of him but he is a mid round pick rookie I think he needs some time to develop. Shakir to me looks like he needs to build some strength and add a little more NFL polish to his game.

combined with the fact there’s not much talent at WR for the Bills, he was getting more opportunities than he may on many teams.  Now he’s trying to take catches away from Diggs, Davis and McKenzie to get anything.

20 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

By the end of his rookie season. Milano is that same draft as White is why I didn't throw him in. I think @Scott7975 meant since that 2017 class. Cos Dawkins was instant impact from that class too.

Yea I wasn't necessarily disagreeing. Just trying to pick out the ones where I think it doesn't apply. I think part of it is they like to draft these high ceiling athletes and that can come with some rawness. 

I think you said years ago the Bills need to draft like the Steelers did in Big Ben’s later years. Day 2 picks on WR’s constantly. Josh is our team, and you want a steady stream of guys like Sanders, Wallace, Bryant, Johnson, Claypool and basically pay none of them. If one of them turns into a superstar great, but if not, you have a stable of cost controlled WR’s 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Who is the "he" here.  Shakir has only played 25% of offensive snaps ytd.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2022-snap-counts.htm

Someone upthread said he played +40% of the snaps in the game, of those snaps, i'd wager he was the 3rd of 4th option each time. I know its hard following a thread sometimes. 😏

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we are 11-0 with Daboll if he was still OC I just think KD is looking like a rookie OC at the Moment 

Just now, Bronxbomber21 said:

I think we are 11-0 with Daboll if he was still OC I just think KD is looking like a rookie OC at the Moment 

What happened to all the crossing patterns we used to run when Diggs first got here? I see Miami running them all day

• Like (+1) 1

Has anyone broke down the 22?  Josh has never failed to feed anyone showing promise.  I have to think shakir was just not getting any separation or constantly running the wrong routes.  Putting JB out there is quite an indictment. They brought in Hines to relieve the return burden on shakir but it was not enough. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.