Khalil Shakir's pic on a milk carton

Dan Darragh

I am going with the basic assumption that Shakir does not get open enough and maybe even does the wrong things at times.  I do not think Josh trusts him enough in crunch time.  He trusts Diggs, Davis, Knox and McKenzie much more.   That is where he will go.  

It takes a while for some receivers to develop, and it takes a while for them to get on the same page as their QB.  An injury to Crowder is the reason we are even talking about Shakir.  It is not like he emerged from great play in practice.   This is not preseason against 4th stringers.  Josh and Shakir have had little time to work together.  

Next year Shakir should be much better.  This year you take what you can get from the 5th round rookie.  He is promising but probably not going to be an impact player just yet.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I swear, the Bills actually have a guy named Khalil Shakir, a much touted rookie who has pulled a disappearing act.

Shakir has only had 2 targets in the last 4 games, and zero targets in the last two games when the Bills were only carrying 4 WRs.

What happened?  Can't get open?  Dissed the coaches?  Tried to hit on Josh's GF?

I voted the last.  Oh, wait not a poll.  Besides JA would’ve just kicked his ars.  Besides Spencer Brown wouldn’t let him and would just souphlex the dude.

”Handled Josh”.  Thanks Spencer.

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

People pointing out that his skills have declined and that every other team in the NFL feels the same is "strong feelings"?

I like the guy.  I liked what he did here.  But, as I pointed out above, everyone's skills decline over time.

I mean that's obvious.  That's why Cole is playing so well for...wait...who is he playing for right now? 🤔

Oh I 100% agree the dude is done. His body quit and that’s the end of the road for a player whose success depended on his suddenness. 

I don’t think OBD will sign him and I don’t want them to. 

I think what “they” are doing bringing him up is to both vent frustration at an important position falling short and to troll for those posters who have an over the top emotional reaction every time he’s brought up. 

It’s like they can’t help themselves and bite every single time. 😅🤣

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, SCBills said:

Cook looks dangerous running the ball.  

Ironically enough, he looks shaky af in the passing game. 

Yes, he’s had a few very good runs. “A few” being the key idea here. He has not shown enough to cause coaches to take somebody else off the field more often then they already are.

5 hours ago, Dan Darragh said:

I swear, the Bills actually have a guy named Khalil Shakir, a much touted rookie who has pulled a disappearing act.

Shakir has only had 2 targets in the last 4 games, and zero targets in the last two games when the Bills were only carrying 4 WRs.

What happened?  Can't get open?  Dissed the coaches?  Tried to hit on Josh's GF?

Probably just getting outplayed by mckenzie

4 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

Well he had 35 snaps (64%) against Detroit.  Either he aint getting open or Josh doesnt want to throw him the ball.  Thats plenty of looks in a game to do something.

Could be but it seems to me that just about every player the Bills draft takes "a little time."  Last drafted player I can recall really making an immediate impact was Tre White.  Everyone else seems to take until their rookie contract is about to expire or is just an ok role player at best.

“Just about every” is a real reach here. They’ve definitely missed completely on a few, a few have taken time to become serviceable, but just in the fast handful of years, they found Rousseau, Elam, Hamlin, Davis, Bass, Jackson, Knox, Singletary, Oliver, and of course Allen, Dawkins, Edmunds and Johnson. They’re all starting within a year or two of their selection. I hope you don’t typically expect day-1 impact from most draft choices, because that’s not realistic.

This is not to say each of the above are superstars. They are high quality contributors with growth potential. So, let’s not confuse somebody saying guys like Edmunds suck with the fact they all became NFL quality players in less than 3-years.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

“Just about every” is a real reach here. They’ve definitely missed completely on a few, a few have taken time to become serviceable, but just in the fast handful of years, they found Rousseau, Elam, Hamlin, Davis, Bass, Jackson, Knox, Singletary, Oliver, and of course Allen, Dawkins, Edmunds and Johnson. They’re all starting within a year or two of their selection. I hope you don’t typically expect day-1 impact from most draft choices, because that’s not realistic.

This is not to say each of the above are superstars. They are high quality contributors with growth potential. So, let’s not confuse somebody saying guys like Edmunds suck with the fact they all became NFL quality players in less than 3-years.

Can’t forget Milano 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, clayboy54 said:

Im sorry but I disagree with you.  Most of these guys on the list is exactly what I said... guys that have been ok but didnt really become anything impactful.  The ones that did become impactful are towards the end of their rookie contract.  This team needs players to be an impact when they are cheap, not just when its time to re-sign them. 

48 minutes ago, babulator said:

He's played 44% of the offensive snaps, he's probably been the 3rd option on those snaps 100% of the time.

I think our offensive woes lie more with the Dorsey transition than anything else. Using guys differently, calling different plays, etc etc.

Give him time.

Who is the "he" here.  Shakir has only played 25% of offensive snaps ytd.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/2022-snap-counts.htm

Edited by freddyjj

5 hours ago, Irv said:

Simple solution.  Cut him and sign Da’Rick.  

Yeah...the problem is people fall in love with players during pre-season.  I don't remember who but I remember a coach saying they did very little evaluation during pre-season games.  Maybe they wanted to double check something in game action but they pretty much made their evaluations in practice.  It sounded a bit crazy at the time but the more I watch the more I've come to believe that pre-season games are a terrible way to assess talent.  Nathan Peterman looked like the next Tom Brady in pre-season.  Da'Rick looked awesome.  Players are playing at 3/4 speed and so it's not really game action.  I think Shakir could be good, but in the pre-season he looked ready and maybe he isn't.

5 hours ago, DCofNC said:

He was a 5th round pick, expecting much of him is foolish at best.  The fact he made the active roster is a solid accomplishment.

I think the fact that he looked good in pre-season threw off people’s expectations. I would like to see a little more out of him but he is a mid round pick rookie I think he needs some time to develop. Shakir to me looks like he needs to build some strength and add a little more NFL polish to his game.

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think the fact that he looked good in pre-season threw off people’s expectations. I would like to see a little more out of him but he is a mid round pick rookie I think he needs some time to develop. Shakir to me looks like he needs to build some strength and add a little more NFL polish to his game.

He looked great playing against 3's and 4's in preseason.  This is a lot different.  The NFL in November/December is 4 levels of play higher than that.  

He needs some time to develop his game.   

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.