Like a bad pimple that keeps coming back, Peterman elevated to Bears active roster.

Draconator

19 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

5+ mil in career earnings.  He must be doing something right to still be in the NFL. 

I root for him as I can see myself in him somehow ha ha. OK, that's quite a stretch, but one can dream. He's made so much money that I salute his resilience. 

18 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

Not to get political, but how does this guy have a job and Kaep doesn't?  

10 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

All that and Kapernick can't get a tryout?? Common man....

When people sue employers it does not encourage employers to sign you.

And Kapernick was given a tryout and was not signed by Seattle's QB Whisperer reportedly for financial reasons so I would guess he would want a lot more than Peterman and would not be willing to be on practice squad and elevated when #1 QB and #2 QB were not elevated.

But continue beating that dead horse bringing up same points made in other threads.

For the Bills, he was fine in practice, but his nerves got the best of him in games.  After several years in the league, he may have calmed down enough to actually produce in games. I have nothing against him.  He's been a fringe player not for quite a while, but he may have actually improved over time.  Don't know if he'll ever get a chance to show it.

Sometimes a team decides it's out of the playoff run, or that if it somehow manages to sneak into the playoffs, it'll surely be one and done.

Sometimes that team changes QBs as a not-so-subtle way of tanking.

Sometimes that new QB plays the role perfectly. It's not as easy as it seems! You have to be marginally acceptable as an NFL QB or the fans (and in turn the players, coaches and ownership) will revolt. But you can't be good enough that the team actually is better with you than it was with the guy you replaced; that ruins everything.

Nate Peterman is that first guy - the guy who was so bad that the tank was immediately called off and the status quo mediocrity (Tyrod) was reinistated. We saw the same thing this year with Indy going with the utterly unprepared Sam Ehlinger. You can do this in Game 17 (think "Cardale Jones gets the start") because that fan revolt doesn't matter anymore. But you can't do it in Game 11. So my theory of "tank but don't look like you're actually trying to lose" means Peterman gets activated and then gets the Week 17 start when Fields sits out with a phantom injury.

Meanwhile, guys like Taylor Heinecke and Gardner Minshew screw up your tank-and-get-better-draft-position strategy by actually being an improvement over the incumbent. You do not want these guys anywhere near your non-playoff team!

15 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

For the Bills, he was fine in practice, but his nerves got the best of him in games.  After several years in the league, he may have calmed down enough to actually produce in games. I have nothing against him.  He's been a fringe player not for quite a while, but he may have actually improved over time.  Don't know if he'll ever get a chance to show it.

So you think it is possible for him to follow Geno Smith model. 

If he is lucky he will be signed as backup QB in Seattle next year for the QB Whisperer to remodel.

10 hours ago, Limeaid said:

So you think it is possible for him to follow Geno Smith model. 

If he is lucky he will be signed as backup QB in Seattle next year for the QB Whisperer to remodel.

Something like that is impossible to predict.  Peterman does not have the arm that Geno Smith has, and that limits his ceiling.  At best, he's probably a game managing backup, but he can make a career out of that if he can get his nerves under control and if he has improved his ability to read NFL defenses.

11 minutes ago, BigAl2526 said:

Something like that is impossible to predict.  Peterman does not have the arm that Geno Smith has, and that limits his ceiling.  At best, he's probably a game managing backup, but he can make a career out of that if he can get his nerves under control and if he has improved his ability to read NFL defenses.

I see no reason why he can't be Trevor Siemien. 

Yeah, that's not good, but it's a perfectly acceptable backup.

I don't know why (maybe I'm just too nice a person?), but I want him to have a tiny bit of success before he hangs up the cleats.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.