Criticism of McD and coaching has reached insanity level…

eball

Head coach has two major jobs, be a leader and be a game coach.

McD gets an A for leadership, setting a high standard and holding everyone to it.  He's the real deal in that category.

As far as game management which includes a ton of things from time outs, reviews, adjustments, technique reminders for players, etc. McD either relies too heavily on his staff or not enough, but the 13 seconds defense was a lack of communication between staff and players that I believe cost us a Lombardi. 

In the MInny game, Cam Lewis is an undrafted backup FS who is good but STILL should have had multiple coaches look him in the eye before the 4th and 18 prayer and say CAM KNOCK IT DOWN, EVERYONE KNOCK IT DOWN.  Here is the 1st down marker, the ball is coming in this 10 yard patch of grass, All Dbacks look at me, knock the ball down!   If he does that, if his staff does that under his direction, we win that game and are ahead of Miami and more importantly KC right now.

Same with the Hail Murray, you are a coach that keeps preaching fundamentals but you need to communicate and reinforce them in critical situations or it will cost you games and possibly superbowls.

He was a good college player at a tiny school, and became a good DC and eventually a head coach but when he is facing Andy Reid or Belichick or even new guys like Vrable, he doesn't have a knack for critical situation control and communication.

I am glad he is our coach but hoping a more assertive DC comes in to replace Leslie and then Sean takes the Marv Levy role as leader and overall strategist but not game tactician.  These players are pro's but they're also jacked up 20 year olds running on adrenaline and still need game coaching.

• Awesome! (+1) 4

13 hours ago, eball said:

I know, I know, it’s a message board and not everyone has to agree about everything.  Debate and discussion are good.  It just seems to me that the coaching of this team is being questioned at an insane level.  The Bills are 8-3 and within 11 points of being undefeated.  Every starter on defense has missed time; they have not played ONE game with their presumed starting secondary intact.  Allen has a bum elbow.  They got a total of TWO full practices in over the past two weeks and yet won two games in five days.

They beat the Rams on the road (before we knew the Rams would stink).  They crushed the Titans.  They won at Baltimore in a gritty way.  They won at KC.

What the hell do people think McD should have been doing that he has not?  I still hear “well, he’s not a good gameday coach.”  Really?  He is ranked as one of the best 4th down decision makers in the league.  His time management has been stellar, saving timeouts for use at the ends of halves where the Bills have been excellent.

Should he be calling plays?  Is it Dorsey everyone is really upset about?  Well, Dorse is also learning on the job, and maybe I’m naive but I think it has been hard to gameplan the past two weeks with only two practices.  And yet, the offense is still putting up yards and points at very high levels.  The last couple of weeks the running game has showed up as well.

Summing up — I don’t get it.  At all.  And as far as I know, not one of you is in the locker room or on the practice field with this team.  My conclusion is that there are a lot of keyboard warriors with way too much time on their hands who expect 14-point wins weekly.  I would love to hear, specifically, what decisions some believe McD has made or not made that are responsible for the “predicament” we find ourselves in (tied for 1st).

I’m going to continue to enjoy this ride, knowing my team is one of the best in the league and still has every opportunity to bring home the ultimate prize.  I’m thrilled McD is our HC and Beane is our GM.

Go Bills!  17 and 3, BABY!!!!

Balderdash! If Allen doesn't make that throw to Diggs to set up the winning field goal, and the Bills lose that game, you don't post this, and all the de facto virtue- signalers giving you thumbs up, are commenting on how coaching lost us that game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I know, I know, it’s a message board and not everyone has to agree about everything.  Debate and discussion are good.  It just seems to me that the coaching of this team is being questioned at an insane level.  The Bills are 8-3 and within 11 points of being undefeated.  Every starter on defense has missed time; they have not played ONE game with their presumed starting secondary intact.  Allen has a bum elbow.  They got a total of TWO full practices in over the past two weeks and yet won two games in five days.

They beat the Rams on the road (before we knew the Rams would stink).  They crushed the Titans.  They won at Baltimore in a gritty way.  They won at KC.

What the hell do people think McD should have been doing that he has not?  I still hear “well, he’s not a good gameday coach.”  Really?  He is ranked as one of the best 4th down decision makers in the league.  His time management has been stellar, saving timeouts for use at the ends of halves where the Bills have been excellent.

Should he be calling plays?  Is it Dorsey everyone is really upset about?  Well, Dorse is also learning on the job, and maybe I’m naive but I think it has been hard to gameplan the past two weeks with only two practices.  And yet, the offense is still putting up yards and points at very high levels.  The last couple of weeks the running game has showed up as well.

Summing up — I don’t get it.  At all.  And as far as I know, not one of you is in the locker room or on the practice field with this team.  My conclusion is that there are a lot of keyboard warriors with way too much time on their hands who expect 14-point wins weekly.  I would love to hear, specifically, what decisions some believe McD has made or not made that are responsible for the “predicament” we find ourselves in (tied for 1st).

I’m going to continue to enjoy this ride, knowing my team is one of the best in the league and still has every opportunity to bring home the ultimate prize.  I’m thrilled McD is our HC and Beane is our GM.

Go Bills!  17 and 3, BABY!!!!

agree 100%  Good, solid coaching over a long, long season.

Way to miss the point.  How has coaching let the Bills down?

Because the many on this board who are obviously over qualified to coach an nfl franchise had to pursue other more lucrative careers but still reserve the right to cast dispersions on their inferiors.  😂 

• Dislike 1

11 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Because the many on this board who are obviously over qualified to coach an nfl franchise had to pursue other more lucrative careers but still reserve the right to cast dispersions on their inferiors.  😂 

I don't have to be a carpenter to recognize a shoddily built treehouse.  Likewise, people do not need to be NFL coaches to be able to criticize NFL coaches and players.  By your logic, since nobody here is a quarterback, not one fan here had the right to level a single complaint against Nathan Peterman after that Chargers game.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

He makes a good #3 WR.  As a #2 he is too hot and cold.  The great plays he makes are great, the bad plays are costly.  Where I don't like him is on the hands team.  As I noted above, Davis has a 10% drop rate!  That is not a guy you want on your hands team.  I would think that would be even more obvious given the fact that he muffed that onside kick, and it would have been Detroit ball had not one of his teammates bailed him out and punched the ball out of bounds.  His handling of that onside kick actually vindicates my view.  A guy that drops one in ten passes dropped an onside kick.  It's pattern recognition.  Davis has strengths, but sure hands is not one of them.

As I noted before, I am not one of the people clamoring for anyone to be fired.  Have not said that, here or anywhere else on the board.  I do, however, believe there are valid criticisms that can be leveled against the coaching staff.  Deciding to put a guy with a 10% drop rate on the hands-team was a mistake by McD that nearly cost us.  I disagree with the people calling to fire this staff, but I also disagree with people here that are acting like McD is one of the greatest coaches in the NFL.

Defending McD and acting like he is one of the greatest coaches in the NFL are not the same thing. I've seen a lot of the former, not so much of the latter.

• Like (+1) 2

As always, have to go to the bottom line, and I am happy with 8-3, especially considering all the injuries. Thanks, McD! :thumbsup:

I do believe that if this team gets healthy going into the playoffs, no one is stopping them. It's all about how you finish the season.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Nice LAMP post @eball:lol:

Some of the complaints are certainly over the top but they will most likely be the 5th seed in the AFC after 14 weeks when the Dolphins beat the Texans tomorrow.

Because they came out flat after the bye......consistent with their annual mid-season slumps that have dashed their home field advantage hopes in each of their prior 3 seasons.   Same thing happened in 2017.   Coaching is the common denominator.

SO...

We beat the Ravens, Titans and Chiefs, all teams who could claim the #1 seed.

We still have FOUR divisional games, THREE at home, against the Cheatriots, Jests and Dullphins.

We have lost three games to teams with winning records only.

In what universe do you see the Bills not having a shot at the #1 when the very real possibility of us cementing the AFC East is at hand and a favorable schedule late?

Just now, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

what’s been worse? The elbow or the decision making? He’s in a slump. Let’s not use the elbow as an excuse. He went into a slump last year too. Nothing new. He’ll get threw it.

There was no elbow injury in the second half of the Green Bay game or the time in the Jets game where he threw the ball right to Sauce Gardner as well... some here forgot those convenient facts.

• Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

No it is a LAMP post, as my threads too are called.  If you are happy with the Bills and a fan of McD, you'll be all over these threads.

If you have been meh or down about the coaching, you'll think different.

And I don't disagree, but still the Bills have been off since the bye week.

We all hope this is just a lull, but ever since the second half of GB, just has not been good.

This is correct. I don't understand the eye roll emoji. Something does seem off. It's not all on coaching, but some of it is. Dorsey and Frazier have some adjustments to make. It's okay to say that, and it doesn't mean I want them fired. I'm actually a big fan of McDermott precisely because he's willing to learn and adapt his game. I'm confident he'll get the coachable issues straightened out.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Red King said:

I don't have to be a carpenter to recognize a shoddily built treehouse.  Likewise, people do not need to be NFL coaches to be able to criticize NFL coaches and players.  By your logic, since nobody here is a quarterback, not one fan here had the right to level a single complaint against Nathan Peterman after that Chargers game.

Pretty much… sort of like how the people in the waiting room don’t get to weigh in on the surgical strategy.., you proved the point but I don’t think you see you did 

30 minutes ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

SO...

We beat the Ravens, Titans and Chiefs, all teams who could claim the #1 seed.

We still have FOUR divisional games, THREE at home, against the Cheatriots, Jests and Dullphins.

We have lost three games to teams with winning records only.

In what universe do you see the Bills not having a shot at the #1 when the very real possibility of us cementing the AFC East is at hand and a favorable schedule late?

I guess you are responding to the wrong post because I never said anything in this thread even close to "the Bills don't have a shot at the #1" seed.

But it's a fact that they no longer control their own destiny for that critical #1 seed and the bye.

They've blown that lead..........and I wouldn't frame their schedule as favorable compared to that of the #1 seed Chiefs.

Right now there are 8 teams in the AFC with winning records.........the Bills have 5 of their remaining 6 games against them.  

The Chiefs have 7 games left and 5 are against teams with losing records. 

And all 8 of those teams think if we take care of our own business we will finish ahead of the Bills in the seeding. 

That's not where the Bills were projected to be.   They've been upset 3 times.   

Last season,  same issue.    Upset 5 times on the way to a 7-6 record thru 13 games.

And I'll add that you can be enjoying the season and you can be expecting a much better ending than finishing 5th in your conference......... but you can also be of the belief that they have failed to play up to their potential yet again........and that jeopardizes the goals of a team that's gone 0-4 on the road in the playoffs under this coaching staff. 

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I guess you are responding to the wrong post because I never said anything in this thread even close to "the Bills don't have a shot at the #1" seed.

But it's a fact that they no longer control their own destiny for that critical #1 seed and the bye.

They've blown that lead..........and I wouldn't frame their schedule as favorable compared to that of the #1 seed Chiefs.

Right now there are 8 teams in the AFC with winning records.........the Bills have 5 of their remaining 6 games against them.  

The Chiefs have 7 games left and 5 are against teams with losing records. 

And all 8 of those teams think if we take care of our own business we will finish ahead of the Bills in the seeding. 

That's not where the Bills were projected to be.   They've been upset 3 times.   

Last season,  same issue.    Upset 5 times on the way to a 7-6 record thru 13 games.

And I'll add that you can be enjoying the season and you can be expecting a much better ending than finishing 5th in your conference......... but you can also be of the belief that they have failed to play up to their potential yet again........and that jeopardizes the goals of a team that's gone 0-4 on the road in the playoffs under this coaching staff. 

In all my life, I have never seen anyone go through efforts to point out how much the Bills suck as much as this guy.

It must hurt to be this kind of Bills fan.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

3 hours ago, Da webster guy said:

Head coach has two major jobs, be a leader and be a game coach.

McD gets an A for leadership, setting a high standard and holding everyone to it.  He's the real deal in that category.

As far as game management which includes a ton of things from time outs, reviews, adjustments, technique reminders for players, etc. McD either relies too heavily on his staff or not enough, but the 13 seconds defense was a lack of communication between staff and players that I believe cost us a Lombardi. 

In the MInny game, Cam Lewis is an undrafted backup FS who is good but STILL should have had multiple coaches look him in the eye before the 4th and 18 prayer and say CAM KNOCK IT DOWN, EVERYONE KNOCK IT DOWN.  Here is the 1st down marker, the ball is coming in this 10 yard patch of grass, All Dbacks look at me, knock the ball down!   If he does that, if his staff does that under his direction, we win that game and are ahead of Miami and more importantly KC right now.

Same with the Hail Murray, you are a coach that keeps preaching fundamentals but you need to communicate and reinforce them in critical situations or it will cost you games and possibly superbowls.

He was a good college player at a tiny school, and became a good DC and eventually a head coach but when he is facing Andy Reid or Belichick or even new guys like Vrable, he doesn't have a knack for critical situation control and communication.

I am glad he is our coach but hoping a more assertive DC comes in to replace Leslie and then Sean takes the Marv Levy role as leader and overall strategist but not game tactician.  These players are pro's but they're also jacked up 20 year olds running on adrenaline and still need game coaching.

Game management is a small - though important - part of a head coach's responsibility.  Think about all the offseason-training and in-season preparation.  The coaches have to put that together.  How much time do you spend on the field?  What drills do you run?  How much time in the filmroom?  How do you break down film with the players?  How does the HC lead and develop his coordinators?  How do the coordinators lead their position coaches?  How do you game plan for an opponent?  

Yeah, McD screwed up 13 seconds.  Hard to understand what went wrong there but it is notable that our ST coordinator lost his job.  Accountability.  As for Cam, did you hear his interview?   He absolutely knew he was supposed to knock it down.  He just didn't do it.  Even good coaches have players who unaccountably screw up from time to time.  I tend to believe McD is an average to above-average X-and-O game tactician.  

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Pretty much… sort of like how the people in the waiting room don’t get to weigh in on the surgical strategy.., you proved the point but I don’t think you see you did 

To reiterate...

3 hours ago, The Red King said:

By your logic, since nobody here is a quarterback, not one fan here had the right to level a single complaint against Nathan Peterman after that Chargers game.

You seem afraid to answer this.  I think it's because you'll prove my point.  So go ahead, answer it if you've got the guts to.  Personally, I see you ignoring it or ducking it again.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.