Criticism of McD and coaching has reached insanity level…

eball

8 minutes ago, mrags said:

I don’t believe McDermott is a good game day coach. To quote The Godfather he’s “not a wartime consigliere”. He is supposed to be a defensive coach and his defense, although in paper is always tops in the league, cant tackle a player on 3rd and long, like ever. The defensive scheme of bend but don’t break does nothing but break eventually. It’s like dying of 1,000 little cuts. It’s painful to watch sometimes. It works in situations when we’re blowing someone out, but they consistently let other teams back into games to make it close. And shocker, he’s not that good in close games. His record proves that. I’ll give it credit that he’s getting better at it. But it’s 100% why we lost the Jets game, the Vikings game, almost lost the Packers game the way they came back in the 2nd half. I just think he was the coach we needed to get us out of the basement and into the playoffs. Get this team playing together. Motivate them to become “Championship Caliber”. But not good enough to stay a top dog. 

with all that said I think he IS good enough to get it done and bring home a Super Bowl. But that’s just a matter of time really. If you stay with a team long enough and keep getting a crack at it, eventually it’ll happen. Especially when you have a talent like Allen at QB. But that doesn’t mean it’s likely. It might mean we get extremely lucky with injuries that year and others aren’t. Or we get lucky enough to get home field in the playoffs for once. 

I unfortunately don’t think this year is our year. Too much bad juju going on. Who knows, maybe that’s when we need him most. To generate some team chemistry with all the injures, etc. last year was that lucky year imo. Came out extremely healthy. Unfortunately, White was out and that was the one dagger that could have killed is other than Allen going down. 

hope I’m wrong about all of this. No need to like or dislike. Or whatever emoji you want to use. Not doing it for response. Just trying to explain where I’m at and think some others are as well. 

I see some posters say this about McDermott (that he's not a good game day coach) but rarely do they ever say what it is about his game day coaching or list examples from games which leads them to this conclusion.  If they do bring up a reason (this isn't directed at you mrags) it is something to the tune of he didn't manage the 2 minute drill well, or used timeouts in dumb spots.  While at times in previous seasons I did see this from time to time, overall his game day coaching has gotten better this year.  Final 2 minutes of halves have been really good for the most part (see end of Baltimore, KC and Detroit games as examples).  He is aggressive on 4th down decision and goes for it at the correct time almost all the time.  I've watched every snap of every game this year and honestly I can't remember more than a few times, maybe, where I was like this was poorly done.  Like yeah, there may be a few, but over the course of 11 games, show me a team that hasn't had a miscue or two.

As for your points about the defense, I get what you are saying on some and it can be aggravating in the moment during the game.  But here is my stance.  McDermott knows this mainly zone scheme well and has implemented it over the last 6 years.  It has been building into a more complex scheme as players get more accustomed to it (especially longer term players) and the results have been pretty good.  We've been a top tier defense over 2020, 2021 and 2022.  In 2022, they are 8th in scoring defense, 19th in yards allowed, 10th in sacks, 2nd in turnovers (this is also taking into account that many teams haven't played their 11th game yet).  I don't usually want to point out the whole injury thing, but I think this year its valid to at least note that we have had several starters out for 1 or more games.  All this, and the Bills have the hardest strength of schedule in the league as of now, and the highest strength of victory.

Basically, I'm not going to go overboard if the defense minus some starters gives up some third and longs right now to decent offensive teams as long as we win the game.  As long as we improve and get healthy, the defense will be fine.  With our offense, the other team is going to need to score minimum 30 to beat us and I think our defense can hold any team under that.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Lot of people didn't like the McD pick to start with and in the early years, could find many "see I told you so" moments to show he's not a good coach.  Last couple of years, these moments have become harder to find so when it does happen, they come out of the woodwork again with the same speech.  Think it's more a case of proving they were correct all along than even criticizing the coach.  But that's the online world we live in, everyone wants to prove they're the smartest guy in the room and much easier to do online without negative consequences than face to face.

This.

5 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Check any teams message board, ANY TEAM....

Every coach in the NFL sucks.

WE have people right here that hate Marv Levy and Patriot fans  now hate Bill Billichick.

We are a society of complainers 

This too.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I'll bite.  This team no longer makes halftime adjustments at all, continuing to get torched by the same thing.  Defense is particularly bad for this.  Detroit shredded our bend but don't break D, and we changed nothing.

Offensively, Dorsey has been figured out, yet he refuses to adapt.  Be honest, how many offensive plays were you able to predict Thursday?  "Here comes a run."  If the screen keeps failing miserably, stop calling it!

The coaching is doing just enough to win, but a lot of it is our roster simply being just that good, even with injuries.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, The Red King said:

I'll bite.  This team no longer makes halftime adjustments at all, continuing to get torched by the same thing.  Defense is particularly bad for this.  Detroit shredded our bend but don't break D, and we changed nothing.

Offensively, Dorsey has been figured out, yet he refuses to adapt.  Be honest, how many offensive plays were you able to predict Thursday?  "Here comes a run."  If the screen keeps failing miserably, stop calling it!

The coaching is doing just enough to win, but a lot of it is our roster simply being just that good, even with injuries.

There's no way you would no they don't make halftime adjustments.  And of course they do.  They may not always work, but they certainly communicate about what changes to make.  I'll point out again multiple starters out and still 8th in points allowed and that ranking will improve after Sunday.

As for Dorsey has been figured out, I mean, I disagree, but as long as they are score 30 points a game, a lot of good figuring him out is doing for other teams.

Oh and Josh isn't 100%.

Also I'm going to say it:  the offense is going to look different come playoffs.  Last couple years in playoffs is when we break out the designed QB runs, overall better play, etc.  We lost to Jax last year, improved and figured things out, and then scored a TD on every play against NE in the playoffs and score 36 against KC.  And our team this year is better than last.

• Eyeroll 1

I guess my thing on it is I don’t have a problem with the criticism but whenever you cry over some things, you have to make it like everything is bad

if these coaches were truly that bad, we would not be eight and three they have made good decisions along with their bad ones, and they have made more good ones

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, eball said:

I know, I know, it’s a message board and not everyone has to agree about everything.  Debate and discussion are good.  It just seems to me that the coaching of this team is being questioned at an insane level.  The Bills are 8-3 and within 11 points of being undefeated.  Every starter on defense has missed time; they have not played ONE game with their presumed starting secondary intact.  Allen has a bum elbow.  They got a total of TWO full practices in over the past two weeks and yet won two games in five days.

They beat the Rams on the road (before we knew the Rams would stink).  They crushed the Titans.  They won at Baltimore in a gritty way.  They won at KC.

What the hell do people think McD should have been doing that he has not?  I still hear “well, he’s not a good gameday coach.”  Really?  He is ranked as one of the best 4th down decision makers in the league.  His time management has been stellar, saving timeouts for use at the ends of halves where the Bills have been excellent.

Should he be calling plays?  Is it Dorsey everyone is really upset about?  Well, Dorse is also learning on the job, and maybe I’m naive but I think it has been hard to gameplan the past two weeks with only two practices.  And yet, the offense is still putting up yards and points at very high levels.  The last couple of weeks the running game has showed up as well.

Summing up — I don’t get it.  At all.  And as far as I know, not one of you is in the locker room or on the practice field with this team.  My conclusion is that there are a lot of keyboard warriors with way too much time on their hands who expect 14-point wins weekly.  I would love to hear, specifically, what decisions some believe McD has made or not made that are responsible for the “predicament” we find ourselves in (tied for 1st).

I’m going to continue to enjoy this ride, knowing my team is one of the best in the league and still has every opportunity to bring home the ultimate prize.  I’m thrilled McD is our HC and Beane is our GM.

Go Bills!  17 and 3, BABY!!!!

To be fair, just like Dorsey is learning on the fly, we have a generation of Bills fans that are learning how to be fans of a winning team, or are fans that forgot what it’s like to be a fan Of a winning team. Their default is to revert to “fire X” because they now have expectations that are totally out of whack. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, eball said:

I know, I know, it’s a message board and not everyone has to agree about everything.  Debate and discussion are good.  It just seems to me that the coaching of this team is being questioned at an insane level.  The Bills are 8-3 and within 11 points of being undefeated.  Every starter on defense has missed time; they have not played ONE game with their presumed starting secondary intact.  Allen has a bum elbow.  They got a total of TWO full practices in over the past two weeks and yet won two games in five days.

They beat the Rams on the road (before we knew the Rams would stink).  They crushed the Titans.  They won at Baltimore in a gritty way.  They won at KC.

What the hell do people think McD should have been doing that he has not?  I still hear “well, he’s not a good gameday coach.”  Really?  He is ranked as one of the best 4th down decision makers in the league.  His time management has been stellar, saving timeouts for use at the ends of halves where the Bills have been excellent.

Should he be calling plays?  Is it Dorsey everyone is really upset about?  Well, Dorse is also learning on the job, and maybe I’m naive but I think it has been hard to gameplan the past two weeks with only two practices.  And yet, the offense is still putting up yards and points at very high levels.  The last couple of weeks the running game has showed up as well.

Summing up — I don’t get it.  At all.  And as far as I know, not one of you is in the locker room or on the practice field with this team.  My conclusion is that there are a lot of keyboard warriors with way too much time on their hands who expect 14-point wins weekly.  I would love to hear, specifically, what decisions some believe McD has made or not made that are responsible for the “predicament” we find ourselves in (tied for 1st).

I’m going to continue to enjoy this ride, knowing my team is one of the best in the league and still has every opportunity to bring home the ultimate prize.  I’m thrilled McD is our HC and Beane is our GM.

Go Bills!  17 and 3, BABY!!!!

Respectfully, It's not "insanity" to notice the team having issues and discussing those issue and the causes behind them. Be it injuries, players performance, or yes, even coaching decisions. They ALL play a part & are fair game for discussion.

That's how we figure out what the real issues are. The key is being constructive & informative. (Like the post about injuries not being as big an issue had a chart & showed us being the 5th healthiest team).

You have NFL analysts (Greg Cosell, Joe Bascaglia & others) noticing issues with the offense and play calling (Detroit was last D in pts allowed 28, we scored 26. They & the Browns are worst D's against the run). It's fair to wonder what improvement Dorsey, McD & Frasier could make. Just like wondering what players they can aquire, or what players could improve. That is not "insanity" it's part of being a fan & the point of this board. At the end of the day, no matter anyone's disagreements we're all routing for the same team. Go Bills.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Respectfully, It's not "insanity" to notice the team having issues and discussing those issue and the causes behind them. Be it injuries, players performance, or yes, even coaching decisions. They ALL play a part & are fair game for discussion.

That's how we figure out what the real issues are. The key is being constructive & informative. (Like the post about injuries not being as big an issue had a chart & showed us being the 5th healthiest team).

You have NFL analysts (Greg Cosell, Joe Bascaglia & others) noticing issues with the offense and play calling (Detroit was last D in pts allowed 28, we scored 26. They & the Browns are worst D's against the run). It's fair to wonder what improvement Dorsey, McD & Frasier could make. Just like wondering what players they can aquire, or what players could improve. That is not "insanity" it's part of being a fan & the point of this board. At the end of the day, no matter anyone's disagreements we're all routing for the same team. Go Bills.

Save your breath, he's not here to discuss things objectively.

He's here to live in his own fantasy feel good bubble--along with the majority of people at this website.

Real Bills fans in real life are not like that.

There is an unusual subset of Bills fans here.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

I think your version of constructive criticism is far different than what is actually happening. Literal polls on if we should hire Sean Payton 😂

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

It's not "insanity" to notice the team having issues and discussing those issue and the causes behind them

Of course not.  It is insanity to make statements like “we’ll never win a SB with McD” and “Pegula needs to start looking for a new coach.”  Both have been bandied about regularly on this forum.

I also continue to ask the question of what McD has done or not done to evoke such rabid criticism.  People say “no halftime adjustments” but that is both a cop-out and obviously not true.  The adjustments just haven’t been working as well lately — likely for a number of reasons, most of which we as casual fans are not privy to.

Give me specifics if you are going to criticize.  Show me how the players are giving up, or obviously out of position, or making boatloads of mental mistakes — all of which would point directly to coaching.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

It's really only been since the jets loss. People forget that the bills hit this slump every year. Also, I don't think people fully understand how much of a distraction the whole storm/moving the game thing was. The bills just won 2 games with almost no practice. Don't know how much Allen's arm is bothering him, but he's been wearing a brace and I have to think that has some kind of effect on throwing. Personally I'd be shocked if the bills don't look light years better next week vs the Pats. 

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So many people love these LAMP posts.  Anything negative is shouted down and we'll see 50 agrees/likes on this one.

Yes expectations are high.

Can we all agree that the losses were all bad in a # of ways.  The close win vs. Baltimore was a really bad start, weather affected and then slowly the Bills asserted themselves and a bad 4th down pick.  The KC win, they were the better team.

Now let's agree that injuries have had an affect on the Bills no doubt, but they too have not played well on either side and allowed b/c grade QBs to look way too good.

ready for the vomit, eyeroll and disagree emojis.🤣

So to me a huge part of the problem is the over analyzing when there is a loss. You say that the losses were bad-when in the history of sports has there ever been a good loss? My issue with the extreme ridiculous criticism that happens here, in particular in the GDT or right after a game is that it’s obvious that the ones who love to be negative forget there are 2 teams out on the field, and it’s the job of the other team to also try to play well. When the Bills lose it’s always 100% on the Bills and let’s go for people’s jobs. Even after the Miami game, people wanted the coaches fired-that’s the nonsense that most on here get annoyed with.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Well said.

However, I think Dorsey criticism is warranted.  We had a lot of early offensive success under him, and once teams got tape, defenses have found ways to disrupt the offense, especially in the 2nd half after first half adjustments.  

His tendency to use Devin early with great success then go away from him as the game goes on is also frustrating.  

I get Dorsey is learning on the job, but that doesn’t change the fact he needs to be better if we are going to beat KC when it matters…in the post season.  Not to mention, we still have several tough games on our schedule ahead of us, including 4 challenging divisional games we need to win.  

If Dorsey can’t find a way to scheme guys open more, our offense isn’t going to return to its efficiency we saw the first part of the season.  And he desperately needs to figure out how to be better in the 2nd half of games.  

#Dabollwasright 

To the OP, I agree, the vast amount of criticism of McD is unwarranted and kind of bizarre.  I think as mentioned by others it comes from an early formed opinion that is hard to change.  Kind of like the Josh detractors for so long.

However, that said, I hope they do a look back on who called the final timeout with 7 seconds left.  Just idiotic, call it with 3 seconds left like is done routinely and have the kick be the last play of regulation.   Fix that.

On the other side, i would have been upset if the Bills did what Detroit did and didn't run the ball on that third and one.  I think the Bills were lucky that they stop the clock on the review and don't seem to restart it.  They put back 10 seconds on the clock and didn't restart?  I don't know if the Bills would have called a TO or not in that situation, probably not.  Anyways, IMO, Detroit should have run the ball.  

2 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

So many people love these LAMP posts.  Anything negative is shouted down and we'll see 50 agrees/likes on this one.

Yes expectations are high.

Can we all agree that the losses were all bad in a # of ways.  The close win vs. Baltimore was a really bad start, weather affected and then slowly the Bills asserted themselves and a bad 4th down pick.  The KC win, they were the better team.

Now let's agree that injuries have had an affect on the Bills no doubt, but they too have not played well on either side and allowed b/c grade QBs to look way too good.

ready for the vomit, eyeroll and disagree emojis.🤣

You wanted a Jerry Sullivan disciple icon, you got it.  I suggest changing your avatar to match.

vomiting.png

3 hours ago, billsbackto81 said:

. Baltimore went through similar last season and immediately circled the toilet. 

Baltimore lost their QB on top of losing a ton of other players before and after. That’s not similar. That’s far worse. Bills would very likely be circling the drain in as well if they lost Allen.

Edited by Sammy Watkins' Rib

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.