From where we are standing, what is your measure for a successful season.

Chaos

From where we are standing, what is your measure for a successful season?  

188 members have voted

1. 1. From where we are standing, what is your measure for a successful season?

• I just like to watch, it does not matter to me if the Bills win or lose.
    • Make the playoffs
    • Make the playoffs and win 1 playoff game
    • Advance to the championship game.
    • Win the championship Game
    • Win the Super Bowl

2 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

F this “it’s all about the journey, enjoy every game blah blah blah…”

SB victory, or it’s a wasted season in the Josh Allen era. 

I am praying for it this year, but I think this team may have one more year of building, such as OLine and a few other pieces. Like I said, I'm praying for this year, but I voted championship game. No matter what happens, after another off season, we will be unstoppable.....for years. When you think about where we are compared to this time last year, I sure ain't gonna complain. If we get on a run, oh yeah....

at the 153 voter marked, i am a bit surprised by the results.  50% think only winning the super bowl is a successful season and 80% plus think a successful season requires playing in the Super Bowl.   Both of those results are higher than I would have guessed.  

I think the goal should always be to win the division and then to get home field advantage in the playoffs and then to win a Super Bowl.

I will say this though, if we do not do well in the playoffs, McD may find himself on the hot seat. Any time Josh Allen is your QB, winning the Super Bowl should be your aspirations.

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

at the 153 voter marked, i am a bit surprised by the results.  50% think only winning the super bowl is a successful season and 80% plus think a successful season requires playing in the Super Bowl.   Both of those results are higher than I would have guessed.  

I need the guy who said "I just like to watch, it doesn't matter whether they win or lose" to speak up here, please

6 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

Be real contenders for the superbowl every year.  I dont look at it as a failure if they dont get there.  Its not something easy to do even if you have the best roster and best QB in the NFL. It takes a lot of things going the right way than just having the best team.  NE has skewed that but its still true. Thats why the Chiefs didnt make it last season.  They are certainly a better team than the Bengals IMO.  It just didnt fall into place.  Same reason we didnt beat the Chiefs last season.  I feel our team and the Chiefs are a coinflip and last year the Bills screwed up at the end of the game and lost that coinflip.

Obviously I want to win one and its disappointing if we dont but for me its just be competitors every year to be in position to get to one and win one.  I enjoy each game every single week win or lose.

The Marv Levy led Bills were true contenders to win the Super Bowl.  I know this because they played in the Super Bowl.  I am not really sure you are a true Super Bowl contender if you never actually make it to the game.  One can make the philosophical argument that all 32 teams are Super Bowl contenders every year, but that seems to miss the spirit of what most would mean by that expression. 

3 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

I think the goal should always be to win the division and then to get home field advantage in the playoffs and then to win a Super Bowl.

I will say this though, if we do not do well in the playoffs, McD may find himself on the hot seat. Any time Josh Allen is your QB, winning the Super Bowl should be your aspirations.

This is a reasonable view.  Not perfectly aligned with my own, but very reasonable none the less.  At this point, I thing it is arguable that Josh Allen is already among the best three QBs to never win a Super Bowl (along with Jim Kelly and Dan Marino).  Hopefully that changes in a couple of months. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Chaos said:

The Marv Levy led Bills were true contenders to win the Super Bowl.  I know this because they played in the Super Bowl.  I am not really sure you are a true Super Bowl contender if you never actually make it to the game.  One can make the philosophical argument that all 32 teams are Super Bowl contenders every year, but that seems to miss the spirit of what most would mean by that expression. 

A team is a contender to win a superbowl if they have a team capable of getting to the superbowl.  The Bills have a team capable of it.  They just havent done it yet.  The Bills went to the playoffs with Tyrod Taylor.... I would not call that team a contender.  The Pats last year made the playoffs... I would not call that team a contender. All 32 teams are not contenders.  Some that make the playoffs arent contenders and its usually pretty obvious who they are.  But you know this.

4 minutes ago, Chaos said:

This is a reasonable view.  Not perfectly aligned with my own, but very reasonable none the less.  At this point, I thing it is arguable that Josh Allen is already among the best three QBs to never win a Super Bowl (along with Jim Kelly and Dan Marino).  Hopefully that changes in a couple of months. 

Well it took Elway, Favre, Brees  and Manning a while so I think at this point with Josh, we're ok. Hopefully he takes us there this year but it's not like he's on his last legs or twilight years.

Going into the season winning the Super Bowl was absolutely my expectation...but the insane amount of injuries they have been dealt has thrown a wrench into that.  If they can ever get close to full strength again I expect them be competing for the whole thing but if the injuries just remain a constant I'm not going to fault them if they can't get it done this year.  It's been extremely frustrating nonetheless. 

3 minutes ago, nosejob said:

Well it took Elway, Favre, Brees  and Manning a while so I think at this point with Josh, we're ok. Hopefully he takes us there this year but it's not like he's on his last legs or twilight years.

Dan Reeves coached Elway for nine years without winning one.  It took two coaching changes (to W. Phillips, then M. Shanahan) to finally get the winning combo.  Reeves/Elway seems like a reasonable comp to McDermott/Allen to worry about.  Manning needed the change from Mora to Dungy to win.  Brees actually won the third year he was a starter paired with Sean Payton. New Orleans did not need to wait long. 

Edited by Chaos

1 minute ago, BillsPride12 said:

Going into the season winning the Super Bowl was absolutely my expectation...but the insane amount of injuries they have been dealt has thrown a wrench into that.  If they can ever get close to full strength again I expect them be competing for the whole thing but if the injuries just remain a constant I'm not going to fault them if they can't get it done this year.  It's been extremely frustrating nonetheless. 

The thing is...six more games. No one knows what will happen to who any week at any time. If this team gets healthy and full over the next couple of weeks , all that early season talk could come right back. Like I said before, we are better off at this point than last year, so I'm excited.

• Agree 1

I see this question like this,

Not answering "win the Superbowl" would be like having again a nice evening with your girlfriend, nice restaurant or nice movie, but for whatever reason you fail to push it to the bedroom (and it already happened like that the last 2 days)

1 minute ago, Repulsif said:

I see this question like this,

Not answering "win the Superbowl" would be like having again a nice evening with your girlfriend, nice restaurant or nice movie, but for whatever reason you fail to push it to the bedroom (and it already happened like that the last 2 days)

Your girlfriend sounds like a lucky woman. 

Think there needs to be a "be competitive in the playoffs" option. Obviously, the ultimate goal is the Super Bowl but so long as we are competitive in the playoffs, we will get one eventually. Last year wasn't an unsuccessful season, and neither was 2020.

20 hours ago, Chaos said:

Dan Reeves coached Elway for nine years without winning one.  It took two coaching changes (to W. Phillips, then M. Shanahan) to finally get the winning combo.  Reeves/Elway seems like a reasonable comp to McDermott/Allen to worry about.  Manning needed the change from Mora to Dungy to win.  Brees actually won the third year he was a starter paired with Sean Payton. New Orleans did not need to wait long. 

This is so silly. Dan Reeves made the Super Bowl 3 times with Elway. He gave the Broncos a chance to win it all and was not the reason they didn't. Besides Elway, how can you possibly say the Broncos team of 97/98 was the same as the one in 86/87/89? Does anyone think the Bills team of 10 years ago is at all the same as the current one? All things are not equal besides head coach in this comparison.

Edited by What a Tuel

ideally we win the AFCE  and get at least one home game.    at this point id settle for just making the playoffs though.   this was the year we were supposed to lock up homefield and not have to play at friggen Arrowhead yet again.   not looking good for that.    too many injuries too key players and the rest of the AFC has caught up unfortunately.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.